Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Last year my wife bought a new dress off Facebook marketplace and when we got it home it absolutely reeked of cigarettes.

We put it straight in the wash, then onto a radiator to dry. It still absolutely stunk the house out whilst it dried so we threw it in the bin.

Like many, I’d have a few fags (kw tap in) on a night out (circa 2000) but never smoked properly. The thought of it gives me a tight chest.

• Haha 1

I’m at that point in my life where I needed a posh toaster.

Looked up the reviews online for some sort of gauge, 90% said brilliant, 10% said crap, only toasts one side.

Bought the toaster.

Only toasts one side.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

I can’t do moderate drinking. I just end up getting tired, whereas it’s fine if I have a proper session.

Net result is I drink about five times a year these days. Can’t say I miss it either.

im in the exact same boat, 2 beers with food on the night or a sunday sends me to sleep

last year was a bit different with the end of corona and the euros, had a couple of england games where i went a bit nuts and just got battered but bar that i had 1 night out last year and that was a mates stag do

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Looked up the reviews online for some sort of gauge, 90% said brilliant, 10% said crap, only toasts one side.

Bought the toaster.

Only toasts one side.

Talkie Toaster by Crapola Inc.  19.99 Dollar Pounds

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Binned me toaster a few years ago, toast under a proper grill is way better 

I agree BUT the grill takes too long to reach operating temperature, and at today's energy prices it probably costs a small fortune.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Bought the toaster.

Only toasts one side.

Gauging reviews for online purchases could be a full time job.

Everything from Just Eat reviews for a new takeaway you fancy to amazon reviews for that latest Chinese gadget you want. 

Just now, stuart_75 said:

I agree BUT the grill takes too long to reach operating temperature, and at today's energy prices it probably costs a small fortune.

Tbh I haven't even considered that and I haven't looked at the British Gas app to see where we're at since before all this came up, I think we have a capped deal that's about half way through. Should I act or ignore it?

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

Tbh I haven't even considered that and I haven't looked at the British Gas app to see where we're at since before all this came up, I think we have a capped deal that's about half way through. Should I act or ignore it?

If you want gold tier toast then who cares how much it costs or what precious resources are used up? Sod the Polar bears is what I say.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

canned beer is invariably nasty

I'll give it to you that if and when I drink a pissy lager I'd like it out of a bottle and yeah it does seem to taste better (gotta love a festive Stella) while ales mostly only come in 500ml bottles anyway, but nevertheless canning is objectively the better method for preserving beers against oxygen and light. You basically won't find any decent IPAs in bottles these days, only barrel aged stuff really.

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It wouldn't be cans - canned beer is invariably nasty - but draught or bottled ale

Various brewery trips I've been on (and I've done quite a few have taught me that (obviously) real ale from a hand pump is best. But...various brewers have all said that the next best is canned, then dark bottles, then clear bottles. Apparently clear glass allows light to do something bad to the essential oils in ale. Dark bottles stop that to a large degree but cans best preserve the beer inside. I can't remember which brewery it was,  but one said that said they wouldn't allow their ale to be bottled at all.

These craft ales in cans are decent. Mass canned beers are not.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

How can you not like toast? It's essentially just a vehicle for delivering melted butter into the mouth. If you don't like toast, you've probably got the wrong butter. Or you don't like butter, which is even weirder.

It's not that I don't like toast, it's just... meh. If it's there and I'm hungry I'll eat it, but good god, it's so uninteresting. Ooh look, bread. I think I'll take the boring bread, faff around with it, heat it up, take time, take energy and money and make it... equally boring. I guess I don't see the point. To me bread isn't particularly interesting, and neither is toast, therefore just have bread.

It seems I'm in a minority.

31 minutes ago, blandy said:

These craft ales in cans are decent. Mass canned beers are not.

Yep very much so, I used to hate canned beer because you could taste the can but since craft beer has been a thing recently, I've had plenty and not tasted the can at all

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Anthony said:

It's not that I don't like toast, it's just... meh. If it's there and I'm hungry I'll eat it, but good god, it's so uninteresting. Ooh look, bread. I think I'll take the boring bread, faff around with it, heat it up, take time, take energy and money and make it... equally boring. I guess I don't see the point. To me bread isn't particularly interesting, and neither is toast, therefore just have bread.

It seems I'm in a minority.

I think you are.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â