Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

52 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

While we're doing bad English... 

'Cringe' as an adjective. It's a verb. A situation can make you cringe - it can be cringeworthy. It cannot 'be cringe'. 

Similarly, 'cliché' (in English) is a noun. You can have a cliché, or a description can be clichéd. It cannot 'be cliché'. 

I know language is always evolving and changing, but do things that were once considered wrong eventually get accepted and become the norm?

If so many people are saying “this is cringe”, surely it just has to be accepted as correct eventually.

Genuine question by the way. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

While we're doing bad English... 

'Cringe' as an adjective. It's a verb. A situation can make you cringe - it can be cringeworthy. It cannot 'be cringe'. 

Similarly, 'cliché' (in English) is a noun. You can have a cliché, or a description can be clichéd. It cannot 'be cliché'. 

I’m normally fine with pedantry, but ‘cringeworthy’ and ‘cringe-making’ are both shit words where ‘cringe’ as a noun sounds less formal and clunky.

Edited by a m ole

18 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I know language is always evolving and changing, but do things that were once considered wrong eventually get accepted and become the norm?

If so many people are saying “this is cringe”, surely it just has to be accepted as correct eventually.

Genuine question by the way. 

Well, yes, it does. 

I don't have to like it though. 

• Like 4

People who say “went” instead of “gone”. 

Eg: he could have went in the summer. 

I hear it from time-to-time on Villa podcasts, and I’ve seen it on here. It really grates on me. Is it a Birmingham thing? I don’t recall it when I was living in the Midlands. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

I hear it from time-to-time on Villa podcasts, and I’ve seen it on here. It really grates on me. Is it a Birmingham thing? I don’t recall it when I was living in the Midlands. 

Not sure if it is purely a Brummie thing but it's definitely something I hear a lot round this fair city. 

Edited by sidcow

That begs the question....   No it doesn't.   It literally means the opposite:   If you beg the question, you're assuming an answer to the question up front.   What you mean is "raises the question".

Is comprised of.... No.   It consists of.   It's backward.   Comprise originally meant embrace.   A zoo comprises a bunch of animals, it is not comprised of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

I've heard it a lot more from Geordies. Chris Waddle in particular. 

‘I could care less’ is the one that makes me go thermo-nuclear that I see and hear all the time. No you couldn’t that’s the point, if you could care less that means you care about it to some degree 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eidolon said:

‘I could care less’ is the one that makes me go thermo-nuclear that I see and hear all the time. No you couldn’t that’s the point, if you could care less that means you care about it to some degree 

I looked into this and saw it suggested that the original phrase was something like “I could care less, but I’m not sure how”.

Basically it was a bit sarcastic and over time it was shortened to the current version which doesn’t quite make sense in context. 

• Like 2

Using borrow instead of lend…. pluralising ‘ladder’ when referring to one unit…using two comparative adjectives in a row, for example “this ball is more rounder”.. and typing in a weird stream of consciousness manner with ellipses of varying lengths and spaces ….

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Ashley Preece… sometimes I despair listening to him! As a journalist, you’d expect him to have a better command of the English language. When I can get past that, some of the rubbish he comes out with to try and sound like he knows something is so cringeworthy too! On Gerrard and Coutinho for example, “they’re great mates, they speak to each other all the time.” Do they? How do you know that?

• Thanks 1

On 04/01/2022 at 18:41, Xela said:

I've used the same barber for about 10 years now, in Lichfield (in the tudor row of shops)

No nonsense and does a good job 

http://www.tudorrow.com/images/shops/shop 03/01 Barber/barbers.htm

My dad’s partner and good mate of ours. Will pass it on that Alex is impressed 😛

• Like 1

My parents have been together nearly 50 years. No issues as far as i'm aware... however if one thing will cause my Mom to throw my Dad out, its his complete disregard in keeping the butter crumb free. It looks like an explosion in a toast factory in there. He's a savage in that regard. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â