Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Just now, Mark Albrighton said:

I can take or leave chips in batter. In all honesty I much prefer normal chip shop chips. 

Same.

It's a novelty, but I'd hate to see how many more calories are in the battered ones, must be absolutely awful on an already very guilty treat.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Boohoo, this fried potato is slightly worse for you than that fried potato.

Get in my belly.

Health wise I wouldn’t mind any additional badness if I found the taste was sufficiently better to make up for it, but in all honesty I don’t think they’re tastier than the regular kind. Too greasy for me.

If it transpired the regular chips were worse for your health, I’d still choose them over the orange chips. I have them rarely enough that one being worse than the other doesn’t enter my thinking.

Being a Black Country fella, I’ve had many an orange chip. I still eat battered chips occasionally because the kids like the novelty when having a chippy tea but quite honestly I prefer a regular chip shop chip. Nicer to eat with a cod or a kebab. 

If just out the fryer, battered chips can be swimming in grease. 

2 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Boohoo, this fried potato is slightly worse for you than that fried potato.

Get in my belly.

You set em up I'll knock em down. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Health wise I wouldn’t mind any additional badness if I found the taste was sufficiently better to make up for it, but in all honesty I don’t think they’re tastier than the regular kind. Too greasy for me.

If it transpired the regular chips were worse for your health, I’d still choose them over the orange chips. I have them rarely enough that one being worse than the other doesn’t enter my thinking.

Strangely, greasy batter gives me a headache. Over the years, it has gradually put me off fish from most chip shops.

However, the ‘orange’ chips served by my local chippy are so lightly coated in batter they don’t give me a headache. The very light coating is enough to elevate their chips above normal chips (more taste and crispy edges vs less flavour and somewhat limp). So much so that my family’s visit once every 6 weeks or so is always timed for a Sunday or Tuesday - the only days they serve orange chips. As for the extra calories, I guess that’s one of the reasons it’s less than monthly!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brommy said:

Strangely, greasy batter gives me a headache. Over the years, it has gradually put me off fish from most chip shops.

However, the ‘orange’ chips served by my local chippy are so lightly coated in batter they don’t give me a headache. The very light coating is enough to elevate their chips above normal chips (more taste and crispy edges vs less flavour and somewhat limp). So much so that my family’s visit once every 6 weeks or so is always timed for a Sunday or Tuesday - the only days they serve orange chips. As for the extra calories, I guess that’s one of the reasons it’s less than monthly!

Yep, another reason I’m not a fan is the last time I ate orange chips I had a headache for the next couple of days. 

7 hours ago, brommy said:

This

14 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Aussies are nuts, no one makes crisps like us. Chicken salt on chips though is the bomb.

Just ordered some from Amazon, expensive but hoping for good result 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

👍

Good, its the best I think. I ordered the 1.5kg bag last time and shared it around all the family, its good for seasoning everything but especially great on chips. I only have chips like once or twice a month too🤦‍♂️, it will last forever. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PussEKatt said:

I must admit that chicken flavour is my favourite but when we were in London we both liked the Walkers chips,the ones that had a seperate little bag of salt in them.We ate them unsalted.

That's Smith's crisps. Walkers are great too.

At the prices being quoted, would it be worth trying…

spacer.png

or even, for the truly adventurous, just making up a batch yourself, it appears to basically be salt, paprika, garlic, celery, pepper. Would cost less than £2.00 to buy that lot from a typical market.

As opposed to spending a week’s wages importing it.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â