Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

16 hours ago, mjmooney said:

See the 'Site Issues' forum. 

It shouldn't piss me off because there's a thread for it.   Check.

It pisses me off, nonetheless.  Check.   Bingo!   I'm in the correct thread!

And, mysteriously, the issue has resolved itself since I posted here.  Looks like my computer just needed to vent:unsure:

5 hours ago, il_serpente said:

And, mysteriously, the issue has resolved itself since I posted here.  Looks like my computer just needed to vent:unsure:

Alternatively someone reported the issue in the site issue topic, which was then passed up the chain and it was fixed after it was reported in the correct place. There, mystery over!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

Alternatively someone reported the issue in the site issue topic, which was then passed up the chain and it was fixed after it was reported in the correct place. There, mystery over!

Come on now, are you seriously suggesting that site administrators fix technical issues and not the gnomes living inside our computers?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Come on now, are you seriously suggesting that site administrators fix technical issues and not the gnomes living inside our computers?

That's what they'd like us to believe, but I've now seen the truth.  It's very disillusioning.  The grieving period will not pass quickly on this one.

3 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

That's what they'd like us to believe, but I've now seen the truth.  It's very disillusioning.  The grieving period will not pass quickly on this one.

Stay strong brother...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Something similar in nature happened to me a while back and I ignored it. When asked the next day I blankly looked at him and said "I don't use my phone in the evening". Never got a message from him after hours from that point on.

Basically what I did this morning. "You text me at 9pm, I don't check any work stuff at that time"

Luckily the guy I was meant to phone had answered the question separately, so that avoided any awkwardness.

55 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Basically what I did this morning. "You text me at 9pm, I don't check any work stuff at that time"

Luckily the guy I was meant to phone had answered the question separately, so that avoided any awkwardness.

I can get really irked about things like this too. I only get paid to work a certain time during the day and I really put in my shift then. If other employees feel like they need/want to work their asses off during the off hours that's their problem, but they shouldn't expect it of everyone else. 

37 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I can get really irked about things like this too. I only get paid to work a certain time during the day and I really put in my shift then. If other employees feel like they need/want to work their asses off during the off hours that's their problem, but they shouldn't expect it of everyone else. 

I think part of the issue here is that I work with a lot of people who are a level above me, and the on call nature of the job is kind of expected from them. 

I don't think it should be, fwiw, but that's how it is.

So this director kind of assumes it should apply to me too.

I'm really in control of my projects. I'm lucky there's some good experience members but we get the job done and manage to cruise through key gateways without any drama. I don't tend to need to do any OT apart from the odd meeting that gets scheduled later on.

What annoys me is that my colleagues who are an absolute shambles seem to get credit for working late, and at the weekend (which they get handsomely rewarded for) seem to get credit for going "above and beyond"... Its basically because they are useless and don't plan ahead or apply lessons learned. One of them proudly showing off the Range Rover Sport that their boss sorted for them for the weekend for doing so many "crazy hours"... Pisses me off.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

What annoys me is that my colleagues who are an absolute shambles seem to get credit for working late, and at the weekend (which they get handsomely rewarded for) seem to get credit for going "above and beyond"... Its basically because they are useless and don't plan ahead or apply lessons learned. One of them proudly showing off the Range Rover Sport that their boss sorted for them for the weekend for doing so many "crazy hours"... Pisses me off.

This happens everywhere. It was really bad at JLR though.

I once had an LL6 explicitly tell me "If you don't work long hours you don't get promoted"

And it's probably true.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think part of the issue here is that I work with a lot of people who are a level above me, and the on call nature of the job is kind of expected from them. 

I don't think it should be, fwiw, but that's how it is.

So this director kind of assumes it should apply to me too.

I understand that, and it's the downward flowing assumptions that don't really go hand in hand with practical expectations. If I take on a lot more responsibility and hence gets rewarded for that through a rise in pay, then that's all good and well for me but I can't place the same expectation on my subordinates who do not see the same benefits.

I have no problem working overtime when it's crucial to meet deadlines, but if my boss asks something of me at 19:00 under normal circumstances I won't reply until I get in the next day out of principle.

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This happens everywhere. It was really bad at JLR though.

I once had an LL6 explicitly tell me "If you don't work long hours you don't get promoted"

And it's probably true.

My boss was telling me that at the end of year ranking/ratings they were applying credit to those who had experience of presenting to seniors and directors. Those that keep their shit in order and don't need to go the escalation meetings lose out there too. Its all wrong.

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

I'm really in control of my projects. I'm lucky there's some good experience members but we get the job done and manage to cruise through key gateways without any drama. I don't tend to need to do any OT apart from the odd meeting that gets scheduled later on.

It's an absolute nonsense.

I'm busy at work but I'm not jam-packed. If I'm jam-packed, it's because I have tonnes of meetings. I just organise myself well. Yet, I always hear about how much work people are doing, or how busy they are.

In my team of 10 managers, I am one of the high performers, yet if you spoke to all of us, I'm usually the most relaxed and least busy. Today I went downstairs to grab some coffee from one of my colleagues who has 1 small project, and 1 direct report, who abruptly told me "I'm too busy to speak with you". In the 9 months I've been in this role, i don't think I've genuinely been too busy to speak with somebody. Or if I was, I never snapped at them.

Surely, if you're the right amount of busy, then makes you a well organised person, unless the 'busyness' is stuff you can't control like meetings.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

I understand that, and it's the downward flowing assumptions that don't really go hand in hand with practical expectations. If I take on a lot more responsibility and hence gets rewarded for that through a rise in pay, then that's all good and well for me but I can't place the same expectation on my subordinates who do not see the same benefits.

I have no problem working overtime when it's crucial to meet deadlines, but if my boss asks something of me at 19:00 under normal circumstances I won't reply until I get in the next day out of principle.

Yep exactly my approach. If I need to stay late to get something done then I will. I've stayed most of the night before.

But I'm not checking emails at 9pm to answer requests that may or may not be there. 

• Like 1

3 weeks after having a new clutch fitted on a 2010 Aygo, the exhaust decides to commit suicide on the way to work.  I had just got off of the motorway and then BANG BANG BANG BANG.  I nursed it to work, got on my hands and knees only to find it was only the bodywork keeping it from hitting the road.  Luckily there is a car tyre and exhaust centre down the road from work and I managed to get an emergency slot.  £70 later and all seems well again.  I understand now why people say "older" cars are a money trap!*

*Although to be fair I haven't really changed a thing on it since 2010.  Inevitable I suppose!

Its a difficult balance with work - If you earn a certain amount then you will be expected to work outside of 'normal' hours as and when needed. I sometimes have to work very long hours and its not because i'm disorganised or messy, its because I'm good at my job and as a result it generates further work for me - almost a victim of my success!

However, my remuneration is commensurate to what I do and deliver and as a result I don't mind putting the effort and hours in. There are people at my place who take no pride in their work or just do the bare minimum to get by, and these are the ones always complaining about their salary and bonuses (or lack of). I'm lucky in that my place recognises effort and productivity and it is tangible and demonstrable (basically, the amount of money people generate per month). I'll generally monitor my work emails until 9pm most nights and reply if I can - they are usually to clients, not internal emails. 

I answer work emails all the time out of work, if I deem it necessary. If it will wait until I get in the next day to reply then it will wait.

Often one the Company Secretary will email me at all sorts of times, not to get me to do work out of hours but to ask me to do something the next day, I'll just acknowledge the email with a quick, got that or no problem and sort the issue out the next day

Sometimes we'll chat by email if I'm not up to much, might be because I've emailed him out of hours because I've spotted something he might find interesting or vice versa

I'll rarely acknowledge emails from people lower down the food chain unless they are about to do something monumentally stupid that's going to make my work harder when I next go in.

Having said that I also get paid for 4 hours working at home every week on top of my 40 hours in the office, this is ostensibly to runs the firms twitter account but I doubt I do 2 hours in total every week of that so I guess its all compensated for. If I'm ever called into work out of my contracted hours I can claim overtime or take the hours back (my choice).

I think the company I work for are as fair as they can be with me

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â