Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Addendum to my post above. Although I'm not a big sports fan generally, I get why people like it (apart from wrestling, obviously). And yeah, those blokes who scoff at football as "a bunch of overpaid idiots chasing a bag of wind around" piss me off even more. Or my missus, who hates - really HATES - sport, especially football. She goes on and on about how it takes up too much time on TV, and how it shouldn't. I point out that it's because she's in a minority, loads of people like it, that's why it's on. And anyway, it takes up nowhere NEAR as much air time as soaps, property shows, makeovers, cooking, etc. But she will not have it. 

I think I may have told this story regarding sports, As a kid my father worked abroad and as such he didnt really influence me, he loves rugby but thats about it, football never had a place in the house and as a very young kid I liked music, so no male influence with sport and the one that did like rugby. Thats how I lived my life until my 30's, didnt watch sport, not football, tournaments, games, olympics, rugby, nothing. Sport was for other people. At school I initially used to get sent off intentionally and in the end due to my disruption I was allowed to sit it out. 

My worklife due to my job working at butlins, I was around people that didnt go for sports/football so still didnt feel the need, then in my 30's and 2002 world cup approaching and in my job then it was nothing but talk of football, either join in or be pushed to the edges, a female friend gave me a crash course, offside rule, difference between roy and robbie keane, and off the back of that shrewsbury town came into my life and later villa, never ever been mental about football though as I do not have anything like the "villa in my blood" feeling that others have. I do love the olympics, really enjoy watching all of that regardless of the sport.

• Like 1

My issue is really only with people who actively go out of their way to downgrade the positive things about sports. They aren't for everyone, but I don't understand people who despise sports, seems strange to me.

6 minutes ago, maqroll said:

My issue is really only with people who actively go out of their way to downgrade the positive things about sports. They aren't for everyone, but I don't understand people who despise sports, seems strange to me.

That's my wife. I'm just watching the emotional post match interviews with the Irish players, and she's sitting there tutting and scoffing and making sarcastic comments. 

12 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It came as a slight surprise to me when I finally realised I actually don't much like sports. 

I watch the Euros and the World Cup, but basically I have no interest in club football if Villa aren't playing. 

I'll watch the track and field at the Olympics, and probably the men's final at Wimbledon. 

But that's about it. The rest, I just have no interest at all. Some, I dislike pretty strongly, e.g. cricket and rugby. A few, I actively detest - mainly boxing and the comedy fighting genre. 

out of interest, what is it you detest about boxing?

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

That's my wife. I'm just watching the emotional post match interviews with the Irish players, and she's sitting there tutting and scoffing and making sarcastic comments. 

Hate that.

Similarly, there's a girl who works for me who loves Rugby and hates football.

EVERYTHING that's discussed about football in the office gets a arcastic response from her "That wouldn't happen in rugby", "we never talk about rugby this much" "rugby rugby rugby" "Rugby is so much better"

I like Rugby, but even I want to give her a **** slap.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It's fighting. I don't get any pleasure out of violence. Two blokes beating the crap out of each other until they are bruised black and blue and bleeding. Probably incurring brain damage, occasionally death. It's sickening and barbaric. Yes, I know all the arguments about how it's all technical and precise and balletic, but I'm not convinced. I'm not one of those that want it banned, I realise that it's too popular, and would just go underground. But I have no desire to watch it myself. Cricket and golf are boring, but boxing is just beyond my comprehension. 

fair, I thought it might be that. I don't have any argument at all, I was just genuinely interested. I only watch title fights occasionally and have trained a little before. I think I've always thought of it as a sport that channels natural human aggression into a controlled discipline. I completely understand your point of view though.

• Like 1

I would say that boxing is one of the only sports that incorporates all aspects required of a sportsperson.

Fitness, discipline, nutrition, coordination, talent and above all else sportsmanship. For 2 blokes to knock the sh*t out of each other for 12 rounds and then embrace at the end is lot more than you get from nearly every other sport.

That's why I love boxing.

I never watch boxing on TV, but I've been to two charity boxing matches (one of which was last weekend) and I've enjoyed them both. They raised a fortune for charities and it was all good-natured.

It does seem to be more about fitness, mentality and endurance rather than just punching each other in the face. But at the end of the day it is two men just punching each other in the face.

I got chatting to a bloke on Saturday who's had a couple of fights and said he can't wait to have another. He said, "The thing is, on the street, you only have to flick someone and you get arrested. Here, I legally get to punch someone and I get away with it". It didn't sit well with me, but I guess if it stops him going up Broad St and starting a fight? I dunno.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I got chatting to a bloke on Saturday who's had a couple of fights and said he can't wait to have another. He said, "The thing is, on the street, you only have to flick someone and you get arrested. Here, I legally get to punch someone and I get away with it". It didn't sit well with me, but I guess if it stops him going up Broad St and starting a fight? I dunno.

If it keeps him off the street and in a controlled environment that can only be a good thing? Once he gets put on his arse or knocked out he'll soon learn what boxing is really about.

Shops that don't have an alternative route to the exit other than going past the checkout tills. 

I can sense the fleeting scorn from the paying customers when it momentarily looks like I'm queue jumping and highlights to the shop staff that I've only had a mooch around.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Shops that don't have an alternative route to the exit other than going past the checkout tills. 

I can sense the fleeting scorn from the paying customers when it momentarily looks like I'm queue jumping and highlights to the shop staff that I've only had a mooch around.

Definitely, Wilkos in town is like that.  I hate it.

Â