Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The one I dislike, and unfortunately it's the one Americanism which has probably invaded these shores the most successfully and ubiquitously is "where we're at".  It's used absolutely everywhere and in every context.  No business meeting is too formal or informal for that matter.  'Let's just see where we're at first' ?  F**king really?  What was wrong with "where we are".  Let's see where we are.

1 hour ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

people who, when they get on a bus, don't say where they are going but instead say the price of the ticket e.g. man walks up to driver and says 'two thirty please'.

To be fair, I think its it says to state the amount, not your destination.

2 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Seconded.

'Oh my days'...there's another 

'Oh my days' sounds like the sort of thing a middle-class American woman would say because she thinks it sounds British. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

The one I dislike, and unfortunately it's the one Americanism which has probably invaded these shores the most successfully and ubiquitously is "where we're at".  It's used absolutely everywhere and in every context.  No business meeting is too formal or informal for that matter.  'Let's just see where we're at first' ?  F**king really?  What was wrong with "where we are".  Let's see where we are.

"Going forward". it's a good job I don't have a gun.

"Routemap" eff off "Routemap" - you mean plan.

I could kill them. All of them. Dead.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

..Dare I say, the internet may well be the death of foreign languages in the next 50 years..

You think we'll all be speaking Mandarin in 50 years?

Just now, blandy said:

You think we'll all be speaking Mandarin in 50 years?

No.  I think 2 or 3 languages will become the norm, and then eventually 1 language will come out on top.

Whatever that language is, will be decided by the number of people who choose to speak it, advertising/culture/freedom/technology companies of expression.

The world - since the popular internet, has become much smaller, and with "the internet of things" and "workplace 2020" etc - it's due to become even smaller.

Scandinavian languages will become like Welsh/Celtic - only a small number will speak them by the end of this century - I think.

It will be interesting what becomes of accents.  Will "Swedish Chef" still sound that way if English is their first language? :) It's interesting.

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Whatever that language is, will be decided by the number of people who choose to speak it,

That's why I said Mandarin ( I was gonna say Chinese, but Yo that's not an actual language Bro, so I didn't).

2 hours ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

man walks up to driver and says 'two thirty please'.

....so the driver punches him in the mouth

Yo, great joke Bro.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

"My bad" is the one that I wouldn't mind never hearing/reading again. 

It has the advantage of brevity over "I'm frightfully sorry old chap, but I appear to have erred"  (or even ifsocbiathe)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

How about where we say 'I couldn't care less' Americans say 'I could care less'.  That makes no sense in the context it is used!  It's contradictory if anything.

In case you've not seen this, David feels your pain....

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, blandy said:

That's why I said Mandarin ( I was gonna say Chinese, but Yo that's not an actual language Bro, so I didn't).

It's very unlikely, because its system of tones is too complicated for most adults to learn. 

The Chinese may end up ruling the world, but they'll probably do so through Chinglish. 

46 minutes ago, blandy said:

It has the advantage of brevity over "I'm frightfully sorry old chap, but I appear to have erred"  (or even ifsocbiathe)

Indeed, for speed "my bad" is handier than that and faster than the sluggish "my mistake". No denying that.

We're just one step closer to newspeak. And this makes me feel ungood ;)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

newspeak

On those lines I don't like this melding of words that they do. "Brexit" being the most recent. God does it annoy me (Yes, it does, almost as much as rhetorical questions).

There was a fad as well for coining new words in adverts for cars and tech stuff - "Clicknology" etc. That miffed me.

The word "coining" miffs me.

Tabloid punny (swidt) headlines also annoy me - things like "Mou are You kidding Jose?". Just **** OFF. 

• Like 3

I like the super-efficient single-syllable James May approach to acknowledging or discovering a mistake.

'Cock'

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

On those lines I don't like this melding of words that they do. "Brexit" being the most recent. God does it annoy me (Yes, it does, almost as much as rhetorical questions).

There was a fad as well for coining new words in adverts for cars and tech stuff - "Clicknology" etc. That miffed me.

The word "coining" miffs me.

Tabloid punny (swidt) headlines also annoy me - things like "Mou are You kidding Jose?". Just **** OFF. 

Single most annoying piece of tabloid speak ever:

'nurse quacktitioner'

:bang:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â