Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

12 minutes ago, maqroll said:

We are, we're a bunch of **** savages, but you created us. America is like your Frankenstein.

I wouldn't mind if it was an american accent saying it...that's how you have always said it I guess. It's people over here adopting new ways of saying ordinary things to sound 'fresh' 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

I wouldn't mind if it was an american accent saying it.

Which American accent is your favorite? (Sorry Tony)

Do British people say "Yo" in general parlance? Or maybe "Oi" is it's rough equivalent? And is "Oi" more of a Cockney thing? 

Like "Yo" is kind of a Northeast US cities thing. 

Edited by maqroll

8 hours ago, maqroll said:

Do British people say "Yo" in general parlance? Or maybe "Oi" is it's rough equivalent? And is "Oi" more of a Cockney thing? 

Like "Yo" is kind of a Northeast US cities thing. 

"Yo" is one of those things that people, including me, started saying ironically but it's been said so much that it's started becoming normal.

I say "yo" now. 

Same with "bro". Started saying it ironically, taking the piss out of people who say it seriously. Now I;m one of them.

• Like 2

I work with someone called Yolanda, so I always say 'Yo Yolanda' when I see her in the morning, because I'm a fun guy like that.  Never say oi as it's a bit rude (unless I ever get to work with Oyvind Leonnhardson, in which case the Yolanda thing would be appropriate).  There is a bloke who does say oi and it gets on my tits.

• Like 1

I'm starting to think you can't really moan about English people saying American things.

Most TV shows are from the U.S.  We read and get so much of our language from the internet, where I believe people from the UK subconsciously use American language because it's more hard hitting, popular and "cool". I do it. 

Memes where little sayings are invented (i.e. UMADBRO, netflix & chill, dawg etc etc) are mostly American inventions using American language, but are repeated all over the world.

Because of the internet you'll probably be seeing the quickest evolution of words (inc widespread-ness) ever.

It might be the new ye-olde to just normal language repeating itself.

I dare say you saw the same evolution when newspapers first went into print and were distributing accepted language all over one specific country.

Dare I say, the internet may well be the death of foreign languages in the next 50 years..

• Like 1

Working with people who use English as a second language I always feign ignorance when they use an American term. Mostly to play with them and because I'm a massive bastard.

"Can you turn on the faucet?"

"The what, now?"

"He needs his diaper changing"

"*thinking aloud* diaper diaper diaper hmmm"

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

"Get off of me!"

Is always one that has me scratching my head.

Well perhaps you shouldn't be on them in the first place!

• Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â