Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

People who refer to a Rugby ball as a 'Rugby'
I've never heard that one.

The one that gets me is rugby commentators saying "ball" (e.g. "getting a lot of ball") - clearly to avoid the snigger factor of the word "balls". It's creeping into football commentary now.

Upselling. Just buying something as simple as a bagel becomes an utter chore. No, I don't want melted cheese on it for just an extra pound, no I don't want to go large, no i don't want a **** cup of coffee. Just sell me what I asked for please! :evil:

It drives me insane also, McDonald's and places like that just do my head in with it.

I suppose if the public turn it around somehow so something like this.

Placed my order etc........I do not want **** all else from them.

Mcd - Do you want to go large.

Me - No.

Mcd - do you want fries with that.

Me - No.

Mcd - That's 2 pound 40 please.

Me - *gives 2 pound only***

Mcd - sorry sir it's another 40 P

Me - so you want to go large then ?

mcd - ?????

Me - Do you want pocket fluff with that ?

Mcd - just 40 p

me - I have an offer on a easy carry sack for your money, interested (Show coin bag from bank full of 20 x 2 p's)

mcd - No sir, just 40 p

me - so no large or fluff or easy carry sack .

mcd - erm ****starts crying***

:clap: :notworthy:

Brilliant. I am seriously thinking of doing this.

I always do the old favourite when I get a short measure of beer:

Me: "How much is that a pint?"

Barman: "Two pounds seventy five".

Me: "Here's two quid, then".

On a stag do a guy who was with us got his 'pint' from the barmaid, he said to her "do you reckon you could fit a double vodka in there?", she replied "yes, no problem", he said "well how about you give me the f**king full pint of beer I paid for then :lol:

Upselling. Just buying something as simple as a bagel becomes an utter chore. No, I don't want melted cheese on it for just an extra pound, no I don't want to go large, no i don't want a **** cup of coffee. Just sell me what I asked for please! :evil:

It drives me insane also, McDonald's and places like that just do my head in with it.

I suppose if the public turn it around somehow so something like this.

Placed my order etc........I do not want **** all else from them.

Mcd - Do you want to go large.

Me - No.

Mcd - do you want fries with that.

Me - No.

Mcd - That's 2 pound 40 please.

Me - *gives 2 pound only***

Mcd - sorry sir it's another 40 P

Me - so you want to go large then ?

mcd - ?????

Me - Do you want pocket fluff with that ?

Mcd - just 40 p

me - I have an offer on a easy carry sack for your money, interested (Show coin bag from bank full of 20 x 2 p's)

mcd - No sir, just 40 p

me - so no large or fluff or easy carry sack .

mcd - erm ****starts crying***

:clap: :notworthy:

Brilliant. I am seriously thinking of doing this.

I always do the old favourite when I get a short measure of beer:

Me: "How much is that a pint?"

Barman: "Two pounds seventy five".

Me: "Here's two quid, then".

On a stag do a guy who was with us got his 'pint' from the barmaid, he said to her "do you reckon you could fit a double vodka in there?", she replied "yes, no problem", he said "well how about you give me the f**king full pint of beer I paid for then :lol:

Yeah, I've used that one as well.

I find it annoying, but it's now part of my job to do it. I have to 'mention' 6 things with every sale, the most important of which is to link products to add to a sale. Trying to run through those 6 things every time and making it sound natural is difficult, and makes you feel like a prick every single time.

Why is it that when I google something scholarly like "Overpopulation" the results I receive include half-arsed personal blogs and a shoddily done Islamic website with lots of pseudoscientific baloney.

Why, ****.

I find it annoying, but it's now part of my job to do it. I have to 'mention' 6 things with every sale, the most important of which is to link products to add to a sale. Trying to run through those 6 things every time and making it sound natural is difficult, and makes you feel like a prick every single time.

You work for Game don't you? What a soul destroying experience buying anything from them can be. I'm sure it's just as bad working for them, if not worse. They always seem to have queues stretching the length of the store because they take so long to serve anybody with the simplest thing.

No I don't want the guide for Crysis 2, and I really don't care if it's the last copy in store.

Anyway, today I've been really pissed off by the fact that my suit trousers split up the arse this morning, so I had to put my coat on to hide my lack of dignity, and go down to M&S and buy another pair. I'm also left with the disconcerting feeling caused by being unaware of how many people saw before I realised whta had happened.

They always seem to have queues stretching the length of the store

I wonder if that's the whole point :P having queues at your business sometimes helps perpetuate an (erroneous?) idea that your product/service is genuinely popular.

when i started at GAME it was brilliant, console deals were £20 off your 1st game, £10 off your 2nd and 3rd, you could talk people into great deals and feel like you were actually doing something, i can remember in kiddy being sent down to dixons to do a price check and selling a woman in there a ps2 from GAME instead

then they started charging £2 for the membership cards, then game of the week crept in at the till, then the set deals, then the insurance...

i helped set up the bull ring store, the manager was a top bloke because he wasnt overly interested in it, then the week long rescue of the merry hill store and the regional manager who was a proper rocket polisher was there trying to get you to talk people out of the game they wanted to buy and to buy terminator 3 instead, it was utter bollocks

that place went downhill so fast

You work for Game don't you? What a soul destroying experience buying anything from them can be. I'm sure it's just as bad working for them, if not worse. They always seem to have queues stretching the length of the store because they take so long to serve anybody with the simplest thing.

No I don't want the guide for Crysis 2, and I really don't care if it's the last copy in store.

I don't work for Game, but they do have their name on my contract ;), ahem.

I don't mind working there at all really, it's a laugh a lot of the time and even when it's dead theres something to be getting on with so you're never kicking your heels. Only issue at the moment is I don't regularly get enough hours but thats not unusual in any retail job I guess. Couldn't complain otherwise and benefits are decent enough. Game tends to employ people who are just shop workers rather than people who know what they're selling which is why it tends to get a bad rep sometimes.

The upselling thing is tedious, I've never been that comfortable with it when it's as forced as it is at the till. On shop floor it's ok because you can drop things into conversation about things that people usually are genuinely interested in or you're advising people about something in an informal chat kinda way, and generally they like that it's more advice than being sold something.

On the till however, we've got this list of things we have to hit with every sale and at the moment in particular (it's prime mystery shopper season because it's the quieter time of the market but theres still enough out there for us to be on our toes, as opposed to summer where the games industry dies and going into store then doesn't really represent what it's actually like) we've absolutely got to hit them as we're being rated and stores can end up suffering as a result. So it's working through this monotonous list of things - add ons to the sale, inform them about trade ins, invite to loyalty card, etc etc. It's completely unnatural, feels forced and nobody likes doing it - I just have this like script in my head now about it all and tick it off mentally with each customer. Customers kinda expect it and thankfully we have got it down so our store rarely leaves someone queueing for long.

But yeah, at the till the upselling thing, the only thing I can say is, generally, the guy on the till doesn't really like it either but the job says you do it so you have to.

Trying to upsell 6 items is ridiculous.

It's not upselling 6 items, it's basically

1)Loyalty card - either invite to have one, or use the one they've already got

2)Upsell - the usual one is, if you're buying a 360 game for example, is to ask if they need any Microsoft Points (this actually stupid because they are sold at cost apparently, but hey)

3)Inform about trade ins

4)Preorders

5)Online

and then theres something else that slips my mind. They've made it easier at the moment because theres a 'bag in' sheet on a couple of those things you just throw in with the receipt which counts as hitting the point.

The really mindboggling point is that we're also supposed to do this for phone inquiries. You should be given a medal if you can fit all six of those things into a phonecall without someone hanging up. You get someone ring up and ask if you've got, I dunno, a Kinect in stock, and then you have to rattle that lot off before the phonecall ends :lol:

It's been said many a time, but the main forum area really is an unholy shrine built upon three pillars of one-upmanship, hyperbole and piss-poor spelling.

No it isn't Gareth, you arent even a fan, most reel fans wuldnt say that, main forum is at leest 10000x times betta than of-topic.

All this reminds me of the early days of Virgin. I imagine that very few of you will think of it as ever having been anything but a faceless mega-corporation, but it didn't start out like that.

I can remember the first Virgin Records in Brum, down near Steelhouse Lane police station. It was a grotty little dive with aircraft seats with fitted headphones (eerlily prescient, if you think about it) where you could listen to albums all day and nobody would hassle you to buy anything. Their prices were competitive, their stock policy was hip and interesting, and - most importantly - their staff were music fans, very enthusiastic and knowledgable about what they were selling.

Then Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells" got used on the soundtrack of "The Exorcist" and sold gazillions of albums on the back of it. Branson had gone from small entrepreneur to mogul virtually overnight.

Shortly thereafter I went into town and came across - to my surprise - something called the Virgin Megastore. Now to me, this was like suddenly finding myself in some sort of weird alternative universe, so counter-intuitive was the concept. I went in to find what we later became all too used to: effectively a supermarket selling LPs (no CDs in those days). With checkout assistants to match - dimwitted "Saturday girls" who wouldn't know Miles Davis from Ken Dodd.

And that's the way things have been going ever since. There are shops and there are chains. And soon there will be no shops.

They always seem to have queues stretching the length of the store

I wonder if that's the whole point :P having queues at your business sometimes helps perpetuate an (erroneous?) idea that your product/service is genuinely popular.

Could be, I am sure I saw a programme about life just after the war. Many women used to join the back of long queues even thought they had no idea what was at the front. Logic been it must be god if people are queuing.

(Don't forget there was not much food about)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â