Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

25 minutes ago, JMilnereatsnails said:

The outpouring of grief that has come with David Bowie's demise amongst some ex-friends of mine (I say ex, as I sincerely wish to never see or hear of them again).

This couple, apparently spent the whole day crying in one another's arms with Bowie's entire back catalogue on repeat and suggesting that "it's like losing a member of the family". How is it like a family member died? Did you know him? It's not like you'll never hear his music again, is it? And Bowie still exists today in exactly the same way as he did to you on Sunday, I. E. a source of entertainment to fill your boring mundane existence. 

They are also considering changing their 9 month old daughter's middle name to Bowie. 

Please just f*** off now you morons.

I liked some of his music , disliked the rest of it  .... never met him , didn't know him .. it's sad he's dead in so much as it's sad whenever anyone dies ....

but if they play Under bloody Pressure one more time on the radio I'm going to go postal on a radio station near me

• Like 2

People picking holes in a reasonably well executed joke. To the point that a throwaway comment here at work has resulted in 4 grown male adults sutting stropping. FML. 

Edited by Seat68

37 minutes ago, BOF said:

As Irish people we're on dangerous ground here.  I work with a(n un)healthy amount of English people and I've had the humourous conversations where they critique our idioms and conclude that we're all off our rocker too.

Case in point - "For the day that's in it ...".  In what?  What is the day inside exactly?  Etc etc.

Another one that I dislike, although it's not used all that much "Would that it were".  WTAF. 

As for your example.  If I was to re-write it in a manner that explained it better, I might say "Reality comes in to stark focus when ..."

We can be excused of bastardising the language occasionally, we Irish, but only because of our own language having been denied to us, and our consequent adaptation of Irish into English, while retaining some of the syntax and expressions from Irish. This version is Hiberno-English and is our own pidgin or creole, and also our excuse for when we talk funny. 'For the day that's in it', is some creation from 'Don lá atá inniú ann'. The Engish don't have such a defence for when their use of the language goes full retard, other than to say 'it's my language, I'll do whatever I like with it', which I suppose is fair enough.

'Would that it were' I think is the subjunctive. I'm not sure what literal sense the subjunctive makes, but it's just a bit of construction of the language, like 'er' verbs in French. Why don't the pronouns just indicate the person of the verb, why do we have to learn the endings as well? etc... 

Edited by YLN

1 minute ago, lapal_fan said:

reported for being an ass hat.

You call me an ass hat. I call you an ass hat. You report me and call me an ass hat again. 

I guess we know who the real ass hat is then. 

51 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

People picking holes in a reasonably well executed joke. To the point that a throwaway comment here at work has resulted in 4 grown male adults sutting stropping. FML. 

Can you share the joke and subsequent throwaway comment please? 

However, if it's just a colleague calling another colleague an "ass hat" please don't bother. ;)

• Like 3

It isn't gout I have in my foot,  it is tendonitis, and it bloody hurts!

Been prescribed 8x co-codamol per day ad plenty of rest.

Going stir crazy at home now

5 hours ago, YLN said:

'Would that it were' I think is the subjunctive. I'm not sure what literal sense the subjunctive makes, but it's just a bit of construction of the language, like 'er' verbs in French.

It's about things not being the case (i.e. being imagined or wished), e.g. If I were you; If Villa were better at football; Would that it were (i.e. if only things were different).

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â