Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

And that's the reason I could see it happening.  Any illusion that it was brought in to rest the players would be quickly expunged by the multi-million pound fixtures arranged in the middle-east under the guise of 'warm weather training' because let's face it, they don't earn enough prize money already.

2 hours ago, BOF said:

The Bundesliga's "winter break"(sic).  Those clubs have spent the past fortnight (at least) playing friendlies against each other.  Why deprive the fans of football when they're playing games anyway.  Put the Bundesliga back on early or tell them to, y'know, take a break :rant:

If it's winter break teams should not be allowed to play any games.

You can bet it if happened in England the big boys would be on the first flight out to play money spinning  friendlies in Asia, the US or the middle East.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Yep, although I started to lose interest in football years ago. There was a time I would watch every game I could... Wimbledon v Coventry on Monday night football? Not only would I watch the match, i'd watch the build up and the analysis afterwards! This was my era. Remember these outbursts form Big Ron and Kevin Keegan

yeah same here. once we started getting towards 2000 it started going downhill.

On 1/9/2016 at 19:11, Seat68 said:

Yeah I know, I would probably be a little ashamed of them too. On the celebrity version someone did Cash once. I did well, but I think I would like to know more about Fred Dibnah anyway. 

I met Fred Dibnah once, at a book signing at an outdoor museum in Lancashire. Lovely bloke, stopped signing books to discuss bits of Victorian machinery with us. 

• Like 1

"It comes to something when"

This idiom. I really can't stand it. It's used occasionally on VT, but being from Ireland, I don't think I've ever read it or heard it elsewhere. It doesn't make any sense to me, although through context I do know what it means. It comes to something when. I could understand its use if it was some roughly translated idiom from another language like gaelic, but English has always been your language. It's like a phrase someone with a mental illness might use when they can't think of the actual phrase. It comes to something. What comes to something? Life? An event? The human condition? Comes to what? Something? Which something? 'It really does give an indication as to the quality or nature of something when...' To replace the meaning of that with 'it comes to something when' really does the language a disservice. It's a part of the vernacular that pays no heed to the language itself, but has somehow infiltrated despite meaning absolutely nothing literally.

Is it laziness? What would be an alternative? I don't know if there is one. Is there? Maybe it's because the expression itself is pretty meaningless. It's an attempt to attach significance to an event or quality but not really being able to assess it in any objective terms, so you end up with discussing it only in terms of that expression. It comes to something when Villa are being turned down by players in League 1. Villa being turned down by players in league 1 gives a shocking insight into their plight. It comes to something when I have to take off my converse shoes going through the airport. The security in the airport is so strict nowadays due to the threat of terrorism that I have to remove canvas shoes. 

Maybe it's not laziness, but just a handy way of expressing something that would ordinarily require a good deal of context and information that is already shared between the reader and the writer, but literally-speaking it makes my brain weep. I can't think of anything equivalent really. 'It just goes to show' maybe is similar, but literally it makes sense. Or does it? Maybe I've used that expression so often that I think it makes literal sense, but it really doesn't. It goes to show... What goes to show? The event or item and surrounding significance. Goes to show? Maybe a little bit literally loose, but still ok I think. Goes to show. Gives an indication as to, by showing. Yes that expression I think conveys and requires a good deal of context between talker and listener, but does make some literal sense. 'It comes to something when' is just dog shit nonsense.

Edited by YLN
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, JMilnereatsnails said:

The outpouring of grief that has come with David Bowie's demise amongst some ex-friends of mine (I say ex, as I sincerely wish to never see or hear of them again).

This couple, apparently spent the whole day crying in one another's arms with Bowie's entire back catalogue on repeat and suggesting that "it's like losing a member of the family". How is it like a family member died? Did you know him? It's not like you'll never hear his music again, is it? And Bowie still exists today in exactly the same way as he did to you on Sunday, I. E. a source of entertainment to fill your boring mundane existence. 

They are also considering changing their 9 month old daughter's middle name to Bowie. 

Please just f*** off now you morons.

Exactly this.. 

I'm a pretty big Bowie fan and it sucks that he died, but he was also old and while 69 is a pretty low age to die these days it's also a pretty common age to die as well cancer or not. So yeah it's sad and I did listen to his new album again yesterday more so because I'd heard the album is a commentary on his impending death, something I didn't pick up on when he was alive so that intrigued me, but some people went absolutely overboard. In my mind he was a human being and humans die, it happens get over it.. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JMilnereatsnails said:

The outpouring of grief that has come with David Bowie's demise amongst some ex-friends of mine (I say ex, as I sincerely wish to never see or hear of them again).

If they are ex-friends, how do you know what they did?

43 minutes ago, YLN said:

"It comes to something when"

This idiom. I really can't stand it. It's used occasionally on VT, but being from Ireland, I don't think I've ever read it or heard it elsewhere. It doesn't make any sense to me, although through context I do know what it means. It comes to something when. I could understand its use if it was some roughly translated idiom from another language like gaelic, but English has always been your language. It's like a phrase someone with a mental illness might use when they can't think of the actual phrase. It comes to something. What comes to something? Life? An event? The human condition? Comes to what? Something? Which something? 'It really does give an indication as to the quality or nature of something when...' To replace the meaning of that with 'it comes to something when' really does the language a disservice. It's a part of the vernacular that pays no heed to the language itself, but has somehow infiltrated despite meaning absolutely nothing literally.

Is it laziness? What would be an alternative? I don't know if there is one. Is there? Maybe it's because the expression itself is pretty meaningless. It's an attempt to attach significance to an event or quality but not really being able to assess it in any objective terms, so you end up with discussing it only in terms of that expression. It comes to something when Villa are being turned down by players in League 1. Villa being turned down by players in league 1 gives a shocking insight into their plight. It comes to something when I have to take off my converse shoes going through the airport. The security in the airport is so strict nowadays due to the threat of terrorism that I have to remove canvas shoes. 

Maybe it's not laziness, but just a handy way of expressing something that would ordinarily require a good deal of context and information that is already shared between the reader and the writer, but literally-speaking it makes my brain weep. I can't think of anything equivalent really. 'It just goes to show' maybe is similar, but literally it makes sense. Or does it? Maybe I've used that expression so often that I think it makes literal sense, but it really doesn't. It goes to show... What goes to show? The event or item and surrounding significance. Goes to show? Maybe a little bit literally loose, but still ok I think. Goes to show. Gives an indication as to, by showing. Yes that expression I think conveys and requires a good deal of context between talker and listener, but does make some literal sense. 'It comes to something when' is just dog shit nonsense.

As Irish people we're on dangerous ground here.  I work with a(n un)healthy amount of English people and I've had the humourous conversations where they critique our idioms and conclude that we're all off our rocker too.

Case in point - "For the day that's in it ...".  In what?  What is the day inside exactly?  Etc etc.

Another one that I dislike, although it's not used all that much "Would that it were".  WTAF. 

As for your example.  If I was to re-write it in a manner that explained it better, I might say "Reality comes in to stark focus when ..."

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â