Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I've always followed cricket (please don't let this get into yet another "cricket is shit" argument), so it's always a welcome distraction to the football. I've followed Warwickshire as long as I have Villa, and go and watch England play live most Summers. It's different to football, in so much as I'm not quite as partisan. I go and watch Durham on a regular basis, which I would never do with another football team. If I ever found myself going to watch Newcastle or Sunderland, I'd end it all.    

I think I've watched Match of the Day maybe three times this season. Villa being so bad makes watching other teams play annoying. I don't really care about international football either (World Cups and Euros aside), and watching England bores the life out of me. I've been to watch my local side (in terms of where I live), Darlington a few times, but I've never given two shits in all honesty (I like to see them do well, and it wasn't nice to see them drop down all those divisions).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

On American football, tried watching it again last night, just don't get it.

stand in a line wearing 4 tons of armour, throw a ball that's not a ball and then stop for 4 minutes to discuss who's going to throw the ball that's not a ball again. Repeat for 4 hours. 

You'd benefit massively from watching it with someone who knows exatly what's going on, and who could explain everything on the pitch to you.  American Football's biggest problem is also its biggest strength.  There is sooooo much going on, that someone who just passively attempts to 'get it' on their own hasn't a hope, and will just switch off bored.  Sure, you'll get the very basics, but you're only scratching the surface.  It's a pity that as a sport it's relatively inaccessible to the casual observer because it is thoroughly engrossing when you're able to put all the pieces together.

• Like 3

I used to watch the conference if it was on telly . Any football game really but this season I haven't watched any non villa games at all. And I mean zero. I have no interest at all in it .

Much prefer the NFL these days .

• Like 1

Same as, ingoring football completely, until Villa begin to do something credible. 

Until then I'll look forward to sitting in work, listening to TMS.

I also go and watch the Bham Bears play T20 games on a Friday night, always fun, win/lose or draw.

39 minutes ago, BOF said:

You'd benefit massively from watching it with someone who knows exatly what's going on, and who could explain everything on the pitch to you.  American Football's biggest problem is also its biggest strength.  There is sooooo much going on, that someone who just passively attempts to 'get it' on their own hasn't a hope, and will just switch off bored.  Sure, you'll get the very basics, but you're only scratching the surface.  It's a pity that as a sport it's relatively inaccessible to the casual observer because it is thoroughly engrossing when you're able to put all the pieces together.

I'm sure that is all true but from whenever I have watched it they seem to line up, then someone throws the egg and someone attempts a catch about 20 yards away that a 5 year old could take. Few minutes of adverts and general pissing around and it all starts again. I honestly can't see where skill comes into this game or any of the finer points going on that the casual viewer can't see.

I've given it enough chances but its just a poor mans rugby for me.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

I'm sure that is all true but from whenever I have watched it they seem to line up, then someone throws the egg and someone attempts a catch about 20 yards away that a 5 year old could take. Few minutes of adverts and general pissing around and it all starts again. I honestly can't see where skill comes into this game or any of the finer points going on that the casual viewer can't see.

I've given it enough chances but its just a poor mans rugby for me.

You start with "I'm sure that's all true" and then go on to demonstrate why it's all true :)  Give it one chance with someone who genuinely knows wtf is going on.  Or don't.  I don't care :P

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

Referring to the Premier League as the "Premiership".

It hasn't been the Premiership since TWO THOUSAND AND F***ING SEVEN :rant::rant:

I always call it the Preeeeemier League, like Doug used to.

On a basic level nothing comes close to football as a sport.  It just makes the most sense as a game. Unfortunately all the shit that comes with the modern game is damaging it severely.  Plus with Villa doing this badly I don't want to watch any other game and see another team happy.

The Bundesliga's "winter break"(sic).  Those clubs have spent the past fortnight (at least) playing friendlies against each other.  Why deprive the fans of football when they're playing games anyway.  Put the Bundesliga back on early or tell them to, y'know, take a break :rant:

If the English leagues ever decided to adopt the winter break that would be it for me and football. Seeing villa lose on Boxing Day is as much a tradition as turkey and stuffing.

Edited by Jimzk5
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, troon_villan said:

This for me too. Funny how there's so many of us in the same boat. The Villa situation can't be a coincidence...

Yep, although I started to lose interest in football years ago. There was a time I would watch every game I could... Wimbledon v Coventry on Monday night football? Not only would I watch the match, i'd watch the build up and the analysis afterwards! This was my era. Remember these outbursts form Big Ron and Kevin Keegan

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

If the English leagues ever decided to adopt the winter break that would be it for me and football. Seeing villa lose on Boxing Day is as much a tradition as turkey and stuffing.

Winter break would just mean the big teams jetting off to Dubai or Doha or Kuala Lumpur to play each other in exhibition games 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â