Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I must have mentioned it before cause I'm still irritated by it but I held a door open for a women who acknowledged me by saying " I'm perfectly capable of opening my own doors"

I genuinely have no idea how I'd react in that situation.  I say that because I can't rule out blurting something along the lines of "oh well now that I know you're a word removed I won't do it the next time" and it would be completely reactionary.

• Like 2

I can't stand Hey Jude. Have you ever tried singing it at karaoke? Naaa Naaa Naaa Naaa Nanana Naaaa x10,000. Nonsense. It's so boring. Probably not in their best 50 songs. 

This.

Absolutely hate that song. So boring.

• Like 1

I must have mentioned it before cause I'm still irritated by it but I held a door open for a women who acknowledged me by saying " I'm perfectly capable of opening my own doors"

I genuinely have no idea how I'd react in that situation.  I say that because I can't rule out blurting something along the lines of "oh well now that I know you're a word removed I won't do it the next time" and it would be completely reactionary.

I know I've cited this example before in this thread but I used to work with a militant feminist who'd always sniffily remark. My response was always " No, I have to hold the door for you because I'm a gentleman and my parents brought me up to be polite".

This ......I dont get the whole  "You don't have to open the door for me because I'm a woman"  shit ....its just manners to hold the door open as much as it is to say cheers man or thanks, like sneezing in public id still say excuse me and if someone says god bless you or something a simple head nod or some shit 

• Like 1

When someone holds the door for you... but you're about 15m away so have to do the quick step/jog thing to avoid them having to hold it for too long.

Might be a British thing.

That piss you off ?

Yes, but it shouldn't...

Now I have to run to the door to be polite.

Ah the door thing ...nothing worse than holding the door open for someone and not even getting an acknowledgment for it 

It's just the polite thing to do as far as I am concerned and I found her response flabbergasting

In evolutionary terms, as explained by Dawkins in The Selfish Gene, this sort of interaction can be analysed in terms of what he calls suckers, grudgers and cheats.

Suckers - those who help others indiscriminately (the habitual indiscriminate door-opener).

Grudgers - those who help others but remember who they have helped and stop helping if they do not reciprocate, or ****** them over.

Cheats - those who always accept help but never help others.

According to Dawkins it is the suckers who are the problem because in a population where the suckers predominate the cheats eventually destroy the suckers and you end up with a population dominated by cheats.

Therefore the grudger is the best strategy for the benefit of the whole population. :)

Guess I'm a sucker then. I was trying to work out today why I'm always the last person to get out of the lift at work. I've even tried to see if I can make it out first (or even just not last) but I'm never quick enough off the mark.

I'd have said.

"Wai..wha... you're a.. WOMAN???"

(I wouldn't have, I'd have said sorry probably, such is my inert niceness and needing to please complete strangers who wouldn't piss on me if I were set alight with gasoline)

• Like 1

I'd have said.

"Wai..wha... you're a.. WOMAN???"

(I wouldn't have, I'd have said sorry probably, such is my inert niceness and needing to please complete strangers who wouldn't piss on me if I were set alight with gasoline)

The problem is that it is usual that impulses to help others usually means you are in full simp mode and so the lacerating witticism is just not available.

So it is invariably the case of enjoying some espirit d'escalier a few minutes later when your tormentor has long departed.

(I like the idea that your native niceness is inert, though:))

I have never, EVER come across one of these 'militant feminists' who object to having doors held open for them. And I speak as someone who has worked as the only male in an office dominated by radical feminist lesbians. They were absolutely fine. I held doors for them if I was first through, they did the same for me. No problem.

i think militant feminists are the figments of lonely men's imaginations, bogey women who haunt their daily existence by entering into their minds like cartoon heads and have the temerity to not be the timid wights or saintly damsels said men were led to believe in.

that's a large leap from a woman get the arse with me for holding a door open for them   ..  MJ was the first person to brand them militant feminists  ...... and then he then liked your post  when you insulted him :)

• Like 1

i think militant feminists are the figments of lonely men's imaginations, bogey women who haunt their daily existence by entering into their minds like cartoon heads and have the temerity to not be the timid wights or saintly damsels said men were led to believe in.

that's a large leap from a woman get the arse with me for holding a door open for them   ..  MJ was the first person to brand them militant feminists  ...... and then he then liked your post  when you insulted him :)

Point of order....I was the first to use that phrase on the previous page. In my defence, despite working in an environment that was 90% female at the time, the woman in question was known as such by all within the organisation.

You should never have given her that 'you dont look like you have the ability to open a door yourself' look you obviously shot at her tony ;)

You should never have given her that 'you dont look like you have the ability to open a door yourself' look you obviously shot at her tony ;)

It's kind of the same look I give women when I see them behind the wheel of a car  .... she probably just got confused the poor dear 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â