Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

It pisses me off that I have no idea how well my charitable donations are being spent

Having worked for a number of charities over the years, I'd wager to suggest that there's a very large chance your donations are being spent poorly.

Just watching that Battle of Britain flypast programme. Interesting, but full of errors. They keep saying things like "The sound of hirty six Battle of Britain Spitfire Merlin engines". Erm, no. Lots of later model Griffon engines, two seater trainers, photo recce models, etc. Not to mention the Hurricanes, which deserve more respect.

Was that the thing on Channel 4 last night? I saw it on the planner, and thought it looked like I'd enjoy it. Then I switched it on, saw Dermot O'Leary, and quickly turned it over.

• Like 1

On the news this morning, there was a segment about Gaming and "Is it really bad for you?"

The premise of the piece was basically going down the road of 'will/does losing make you an angrier person in real life?', 'can it be of some benefit?' etc etc.  Then the lady presenter said "The most interesting tweet I had regarding this was sent by a "COD Widow" who says "I thought I married a man, but in fact married a boy.  This resulted in our divorce, I have since remarried and have never been happier"."

I play video games most nights when my wife is in bed, she doesn't like playing them and sometimes I think me playing them annoys her a little, but nothing more than a little snipe every now and again.  I'm laid back in everyday life, I really don't let games or anything affect my personality, but I have in the past gotten annoyed whilst playing them, which is pretty stupid. 

But getting a divorce because of a video game is pretty pathetic, there are two sides to every story, but how obsessed does someone have to be for it to take over their lives that much?

Just watching that Battle of Britain flypast programme. Interesting, but full of errors. They keep saying things like "The sound of hirty six Battle of Britain Spitfire Merlin engines". Erm, no. Lots of later model Griffon engines, two seater trainers, photo recce models, etc. Not to mention the Hurricanes, which deserve more respect.

Was that the thing on Channel 4 last night? I saw it on the planner, and thought it looked like I'd enjoy it. Then I switched it on, saw Dermot O'Leary, and quickly turned it over.

Yes. He was VERY annoying. A bad choice that ruined much of the programme.

On the news this morning, there was a segment about Gaming and "Is it really bad for you?"

The premise of the piece was basically going down the road of 'will/does losing make you an angrier person in real life?', 'can it be of some benefit?' etc etc.  Then the lady presenter said "The most interesting tweet I had regarding this was sent by a "COD Widow" who says "I thought I married a man, but in fact married a boy.  This resulted in our divorce, I have since remarried and have never been happier"."

I play video games most nights when my wife is in bed, she doesn't like playing them and sometimes I think me playing them annoys her a little, but nothing more than a little snipe every now and again.  I'm laid back in everyday life, I really don't let games or anything affect my personality, but I have in the past gotten annoyed whilst playing them, which is pretty stupid. 

But getting a divorce because of a video game is pretty pathetic, there are two sides to every story, but how obsessed does someone have to be for it to take over their lives that much?

This is what gets me as well. Would people think it such a bad thing if we all sat around playing board games instead? I'm sure we've all at some point found them frustrating or been thrown into a Monopoly induced rage.

Video games have a lot of negative connotations associated with them because they are an alien concept to people who didn't grow up with them or who have never played them. They are essentially no different to playing board games though IMO.

I think the perception of video games in the media is still that they're for little kids, and any grown man who plays them is some sort of deviant or serial killer.

Which is pathetic to be honest.

As for the health implications, I don't think they're any less healthy than someone watching a box set for a few hours. And nobody bats an eyelid at that.
The anger thing is interesting though. I'd never thought about that before. But I imagine the amount of people who get anrgy enough about video games to actually effect their health is not very many.

This is what gets me as well. Would people think it such a bad thing if we all sat around playing board games instead? I'm sure we've all at some point found them frustrating or been thrown into a Monopoly induced rage.

Video games have a lot of negative connotations associated with them because they are an alien concept to people who didn't grow up with them or who have never played them. They are essentially no different to playing board games though IMO.

Computer games are predominantly a male space and therefore are under attack. 

What's the name of that board game, oooh, you know the one, where a guy steals a car runs over a cop and shoots hookers? ;)

The only time the kids aren't allowed to play GTA is when either of their nans are in the house. It's just not worth the grief.

I gave up on gaming when they added colour to Asteroids.

• Like 3

More involved, problem solving, lateral thinking then watching TV.

And I'm talking about soaps, reality tv etc, rather than quiz shows or documentaries.

But I'd still rather play Metal Gear Solid than a 8/10 movie, because I'm the star and I can do what I like, I'm challenged to think outside the box (literally) and it's more captivating.  If there was a way to get my wife on board, I wouldn't even watch TV, but some shows are good, but games are better.

I think the perception of video games in the media is still that they're for little kids, and any grown man who plays them is some sort of deviant or serial killer.

Which is pathetic to be honest.

As for the health implications, I don't think they're any less healthy than someone watching a box set for a few hours. And nobody bats an eyelid at that.
The anger thing is interesting though. I'd never thought about that before. But I imagine the amount of people who get anrgy enough about video games to actually effect their health is not very many.

If anything the box set (depending on what it is) is probably worse. At least with most video games there is an element of problem solving going on or the very least some hand to eye coordination.

I wouldn't "like" them to wear anything in particular (ooh-er!) but as I said, it just strikes me as grown men taking themselves far, far, far too seriously. Do you not find grown men in full football team kit a little bit pathetic? Are you familiar with the term "full kit rocket polisher"?This is the same thing IMO. Sorry if this particular thing-that-pisses-me-off-that-shouldn't has upset you.

Excuse me for the lag but just to back up veloman.

This anti-cyclist stuff has gotten way out of hand. It's becoming dangerous on the road because of the dehumanisation of cyclists into an object.

Do you dislike swimmers for wearing speedos and being FKWs? Or should they wear normal clothes just so they look like they aren't taking themselves too seriously?

Cycling gear has to fit closely and be comfortable so it has to be lycra. Otherwise material is flapping about causing issues, slowing you down, getting in the way, in the same way wearing a duffel coat would wearing it in the pool.

I don't wear my cycling gear except for when I'm cycling, and when I'm riding I'm mostly training so I need to wear the clothing which the sport requires, in the same way as playing football needs you to wear football boots.

• Like 1

What's the name of that board game, oooh, you know the one, where a guy steals a car runs over a cop and shoots hookers? ;)

The only time the kids aren't allowed to play GTA is when either of their nans are in the house. It's just not worth the grief.

I believe it's called "the game of life". :)

But is doing that much worse than bludgeoning someone to death with a candle stick in the kitchen!?

Whatever you get up to in GTA is up to you  my friend. I myself like to partake in a leisurely drive to the coast, abiding by the rules of the road and generally being a stand up citizen of Los Santos. ;)

• Like 1

Whatever you get up to in GTA is up to you  my friend. I myself like to partake in a leisurely drive to the coast, abiding by the rules of the road and generally being a stand up citizen of Los Santos. ;)

I've taken a job in Ponsonbys.

I log onto GTA V and spend 8 hours stood in the store making sarcastic comments to customers.

• Like 3

Hang on, my wife got OBSESSED with Theme Hospital, enough that I've recently thought about buying her a laptop so she can play it, the **** slag! :lol:

Is it still 1997 or have they bought out a new version ?

Hang on, my wife got OBSESSED with Theme Hospital, enough that I've recently thought about buying her a laptop so she can play it, the **** slag! :lol:

Is it still 1997 or have they bought out a new version ?

Blair just got in, so I think we'll have 10 years of bliss :) COOL BRITANNIA BABY!

Â