Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

When the woman at the till of my local store where I get my morning joe (on my way to work) calls me "honey" or "sweetie." I think this is my uptight keep-your-distance-chap Englishness coming out. I absolutely cannot cope with the familiarity, but it doesn't seem to bother other people in America, from what I can observe. 

Joe?

Is that coffee?

• Like 1

I don't mind interaction, except at the barbers. Just cut my **** hair properly, it requires total concentration. Luckily today I got the owner doing it who knows that I don't like chit chat and it looks alright.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I use the barbers as a chance to practice "stand up comedy" :lol:

You know the sort of stand up comedy that's in your own head, but you're never brave enough to actually try it, so you have to be a pip-squeak and do it to extremely low numbers of people, in this case 2.

And those 2 people laugh at anything.

• Like 1

I don't mind interaction, except at the barbers. Just cut my **** hair properly, it requires total concentration. Luckily today I got the owner doing it who knows that I don't like chit chat and it looks alright.

You know the drill. Rogues with you.
  • Like 1

I hate it when they're on the phone and just hold their hand out for the money.

This. So much, this!

I've lost count of the number of times I've walked out of shops because they've been too busy on the phone to acknowledge that I'm waiting. I know I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face as I then have to go and find another shop to buy my curly curly from but it makes my blood boil. There are now so few local paper shops that I use now as a result.

Oh and the other one is when people just walk in front of me because they're more important than me. The only bonus with this is that I can accidentally extend my next step in the hopes of clipping their heels and sending them tumbling. I've had two successes on that score just this week.

• Like 3

I sat opposite Pete Shelley on the Northern Line once a few years back.

I was already smashed but engaged him in some high end intellectual conversation. Along the lines of:

'I knows you but I can't remember your name cos I've had a drink. Ever fallen in love, man I loves that. Must drive you mad, drunks on tubes haranguing you?'

He was very good about it, and we had a right good natter in the end, to the point we ended up both getting off at Camden for some late night sight seeing.

• Like 1

I hate it when they're on the phone and just hold their hand out for the money.

This. So much, this!

I've lost count of the number of times I've walked out of shops because they've been too busy on the phone to acknowledge that I'm waiting. I know I'm cutting off my nose to spite my face as I then have to go and find another shop to buy my curly curly from but it makes my blood boil. There are now so few local paper shops that I use now as a result.

Oh and the other one is when people just walk in front of me because they're more important than me. The only bonus with this is that I can accidentally extend my next step in the hopes of clipping their heels and sending them tumbling. I've had two successes on that score just this week.

I've put it in here before, but generally any company/shop that has customer facing staff who are rude or impolite or even just staff who don't look happy really piss me off.

It wouldn't be a hard thing to monitor. And it makes a massive difference.

Talking of haranguing people whilst pissed. John Robb, journalist and frontman of Goldblade, I had seen Goldblade a number of times and didnt get them at all. One year I was worse for wear but had enjoyed their set, at Rebellion Festival in blackpool, I accosted John Robb, I told him that up to that point I thought his band were rubbish, the smooth bastard talked me into buying a tshirt off him, a t-shirt that was XXL, I was and am an M. Curse you John Robb.

Back on topic. People who have pop culture tattoos, you know, pokemon, transformers, shit like that.

Edited by Seat68

Back on topic. People who have pop culture tattoos, you know, pokemon, transformers, shit like that.

At least they mean something.  A lot of peolle just have random skulls, serpents etc. for the hell of it.

At least they mean something. A lot of peolle just have random skulls, serpents etc. for the hell of it.

No, they are better. I would never have a tattoo, but if I had to, it'd be something generic like roses, because it's traditional and timeless, doesn't date like pop culture stuff. Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

At least they mean something.  A lot of peolle just have random skulls, serpents etc. for the hell of it.

I get that, but its like walking around now with an animal kwackers tattoo.

She probably wants you to DHUTWU

I just finally figured out what this meant, only because I used to watch Little Britain. I'm glad the "H" is non-gender specific, but I think the "W" should be an "O" because it's less judgmental. Now do you want to be my friend?

STEREOTYPE ALERT.

English people do talk to each other, on the London tube people tend not to, or anyone getting on trains etc, and we aren't as "hi there"/"how's it going?" as Americans, but we do say "hello"/"morning" when we walk by people. 

And it service industries, supermarkets have made a concious push to engage with customers.  I know shop assistants/cashiers are now trained to talk to customers , like "do you need any help?" or even small talk at the till (cash register).

I was thinking of writing an article about this because in the US these interactions have actually become totally branded. It's so disturbing. Your check-out person often delivers little corporate tag-lines handed over to you with your change. At Walgreens, they all say "Be well" when you leave. Creepy. Drives me nuts.

All I want from a shopkeeper is a hello, please and a thank you. I don't want a chat, but I like manners.

That's me, basically.

Joe?

Is that coffee?

Yep.

The night bus at the weekends however....

All kinds of fun things happen on those ...

Aren't New Yorkers famously even more stand offish than Londoners?

No. Honestly, it's about the same, but it depends where you go, what kind of stop, etc., although I think London is a WEE bit more reserved. Both places are so complex. In a Tibetan cafe in Queens, the staff will seem pretty friendly but they may not understand you and perhaps that's why. Same kind thing happens in London. Some of the pricey shops in NYC are very friendly -- if you seem like someone with money to spend. My wife has these big warm interactions with the woman at the donut shop at Penn Station. When I lived in Finsbury Park, I was always drawn to the local immigrant communities. My friends tended be Irish and Scottish because I got on with them better than the English and they seemed sometimes more wiling to engage.

Edited by Plastic Man

She probably wants you to DHUTWU

I just finally figured out what this meant, only because I used to watch Little Britain. I'm glad the "H" is non-gender specific, but I think the "W" should be an "O" because it's less judgmental. Now do you want to be my friend?

STEREOTYPE ALERT.

English people do talk to each other, on the London tube people tend not to, or anyone getting on trains etc, and we aren't as "hi there"/"how's it going?" as Americans, but we do say "hello"/"morning" when we walk by people. 

And it service industries, supermarkets have made a concious push to engage with customers.  I know shop assistants/cashiers are now trained to talk to customers , like "do you need any help?" or even small talk at the till (cash register).

I was thinking of writing an article about this because in the US these interactions have actually become totally branded. It's so disturbing. Your check-out person often delivers little corporate tag-lines handed over to you with your change. At Walgreens, they all say "Be well" when you leave. Creepy. Drives me nuts.

All I want from a shopkeeper is a hello, please and a thank you. I don't want a chat, but I like manners.

That's me, basically.

Joe?

Is that coffee?

Yep.

The night bus at the weekends however....

All kinds of fun things happen on those ...

Aren't New Yorkers famously even more stand offish than Londoners?

No. Honestly, it's about the same, but it depends where you go, what kind of stop, etc., although I think London is a WEE bit more reserved. Both places are so complex. In a Tibetan cafe in Queens, the staff will seem pretty friendly but they may not understand you and perhaps that's why. Same kind thing happens in London. Some of the pricey shops in NYC are very friendly -- if you seem like someone with money to spend. My wife has these big warm interactions with the woman at the donut shop at Penn Station. When I lived in Finsbury Park, I was always drawn to the local immigrant communities. My friends tended be Irish and Scottish because I got on with them better than the English and they seemed sometimes more wiling to engage.

"ahh, buying the latest M16, stylised by Ni-kee I see, great choice.. that'll be $4,000, sir."

"yup, just about to go on a rampage.."

"...There's your reciept sir"

"Thanks.."

"Oh, and sir..."

"yea?"

"Just do it!" *winks*

"HELL YEAH!" *runs off on murderous rampage*

• Like 3

Â