Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

my parents use the the word coloured as they are from a generation that thought black was a derogatory term. I gently correct them, it doesnt make them evil for this mistake.

Yeah, I remember as a child getting corrected when I said 'Black man' when talking about a guy on Stars in Their Eyes, I should have said 'coloured man'.

A few years later and now its role reversal, I have to correct them. 

Funny innit...life.. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

We're currently getting Windows 7 installed on all our computers at work.

What pisses me off are the signs all over the place proclaiming

"Welcome to the Future with Windows 7"

The future? Aren't they on Windows 10 now?

The missus on instagram.

How many different ways can she pose and how many different people can tell her she looks piękna before she gets bored!?

Edited by StefanAVFC

Windows 8 with Windows 10 in beta testing. Windows 8 is appalling though.

It's awful beyond belief.  Had it over a year now, and still not used to it.

I'm currently searching for a reasonably priced base unit with Windows 7. Need 8gb RAM and 1TB HDD. Most of em are Windows 8, the biggest pile of shite microsoft ever came out with

The distinction comes from how the terms were used historically.

"Coloured" was used to describe black people, in a rather derogatory way, even if the word itself is harmless.

"Person of colour" was introduced (in the US) to describe anyone who isn't white.

I'm sure "black" has been used in just as many derogatory ways in the past.  'Coloured' is a dated term, but I don't see why anybody should have to apologise for using it. 'Non-white' doesn't work in a lot of situations.

It's surely to do with how pejorative the standard/historical use of whichever term has been and how those terms may have been used (differently by different groups in different countries and different situations) and how that may compare to the current use or the specific instance of its use thus allowing for 'reclaiming' a particular term?

I think Cummerbund saying coloured is not only clumsy but it's pretty stupid. It's not something that someone of his age would generally say unless he were so detached that he thought it okay or wouldn't automatically stop himself.

He's not dumb; it was a dumb thing to say.

I doubt anyone's going to rush around labelling him racist but in most workplaces I'd guess he'd have a week or two of 'diversity training'.

Edited by snowychap

The distinction comes from how the terms were used historically.

"Coloured" was used to describe black people, in a rather derogatory way, even if the word itself is harmless.

"Person of colour" was introduced (in the US) to describe anyone who isn't white.

I'm sure "black" has been used in just as many derogatory ways in the past.  'Coloured' is a dated term, but I don't see why anybody should have to apologise for using it. 'Non-white' doesn't work in a lot of situations.

It's surely to do with how pejorative the standard/historical use of whichever term has been and how those terms may have been used (differently by different groups in different countries and different situations) and how that may compare to the current use or the specific instance of its use thus allowing for 'reclaiming' a particular term?

I think Cummerbund saying coloured is not only clumsy but it's pretty stupid. It's not something that someone of his age would generally say unless he were so detached that he thought it okay or wouldn't automatically stop himself.

He's not dumb; it was a dumb thing to say.

I doubt anyone's going to rush around labelling him racist but in most workplaces I'd guess he'd have a week or two of 'diversity training'.

Once he has understood 'microaggression theory' he would find that it is best to avoid saying anything at all.

But then of course, not saying anything would be considered a microaggression too, and so basically he is screwed.

The automatic security door at my gym refused to let me in on the basis that there were 2 people in the portal.

I know I've been slacking, but really????

FSBeSEl.jpg

• Like 1

Car indicators that flash too fast.

Flash on or flash off :) ?

Which reminds me, those reversing noises they brought in from trucks and vans n'that - Either something like

"Caution, this vehicle is reversing.....Caution, this vehicle is reversing..." repeated ad nauseum, by a woman's voice with all the emotional engagement of a train cancellation announcement (i.e. none whatsoever)

or a very, very annoying electronic tone.

"

Not as annoying as the voice on the travelator at my local Morrisons that declares

"You are approaching the end of the walkway. Please be ready to step off"

Annoying for so many different reasons. Chiefly that you can hear it as soon as you step onto the travelator at the very top, rendering it utterly pointless.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe.

I don't think it's unreasonable though, for people of different races to define what they would and wouldn't like to be called.

Who are we to tell black people (or people of colour) what is and isn't offensive to them?

That's fine.  Perhaps we could all be copied in on a monthly memo saying what is and isn't acceptable.  As others have said, 'black' was considered to be rude when I was young.

• Like 1

Yeah maybe.

I don't think it's unreasonable though, for people of different races to define what they would and wouldn't like to be called.

Who are we to tell black people (or people of colour) what is and isn't offensive to them?

That's fine.  Perhaps we could all be copied in on a monthly memo saying what is and isn't acceptable.  As others have said, 'black' was considered to be rude when I was young.

It being hard to keep track of isn't really an excuse.

if somebody called you a word removed, and when you got upset they said "Well I don't find it offensive so I thought it was ok" you wouldn't really accept it would you?

I mean, you might accept their apology if you believed them but you would expect them to stop calling you a word removed in future because you were offended by it. You wouldn't let them carry on because they thought it was ok, and back in their day it was fine to call people words removed.

Edited by Stevo985

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â