Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

If the ball has bounced off the ground before it's been hit, it's an half volley, doesn't make any difference whether the ball is going up or down.

A full volley is when the ball is hit before it has a chance to hit the ground.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

Ramsey's second goal last night was clearly an half volley.

Not in my book. If its on the way down it's a full volley.

If I bounce a ball on the ground as hard as I can and you volley it on the way down, that's not a half volley.

I might be wrong but dammit I'm sticking to it.

You're wrong. A half volley is a ball that has bounced previous to your foot connecting with it.

A volley is when say a defender has headed a corner away to the edge of the 17 yard box and you've hit it before it bounced. Think Paul scholes vs us in 2010 or whatever.

• Like 1

2) A half-volley

Many football fans say a half-volley is a shot struck when the ball has bounced once, but in tennis and in cricket there is a different – and surely correct – understanding of the term. A half-volley is hit at precisely the moment that the ball bounces or a split-second after, as with this effort from David Ginola or umpteen strikes from the king of the half-volley, Matthew Le Tissier (here we have exhibits ABC and D). With half-volleys it shouldn't matter whether the ball has bounced before it is then struck on the bounce, as with this famous half-volley from Gerrard or this deranged masterpiece from Tony Yeboah; the only defining characteristic is the point at which contact is made, not what has gone before.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/sep/02/what-is-a-volley-football

Edited by choffer

Ramsey's second goal last night was clearly an half volley.

Not in my book. If its on the way down it's a full volley.

If I bounce a ball on the ground as hard as I can and you volley it on the way down, that's not a half volley.

I might be wrong but dammit I'm sticking to it.

To be honest I don't think there's any concrete rule written down as to what a half volley is or not, but I've always known them to be as I tried to describe, and how lapal_fan describes them, and I think most people have the same view.

Can't take nothing away from Ramsey's goal though, half volley or not.

Edited by useless

Men's work suits. They all look the same. Yeah, yeah. Pinstripe is totally different to plain or whatever. But really, it's so dull.

I decree that at least 60% of suits in the work place should be one of the following colours: pink, crimson, sunset orange, bright green or cream.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner
  • Like 1

Men's work suits. They all look the same. Yeah, yeah. Pinstripe is totally different to plain or whatever. But really, it's so dull.

I decree that at least 60% of suits in the work place should be one of the following colours: pink, crimson, sunset orange, bright green or cream.

Michael Portillo says hi.
  • Like 4

2) A half-volley

Many football fans say a half-volley is a shot struck when the ball has bounced once, but in tennis and in cricket there is a different – and surely correct – understanding of the term. A half-volley is hit at precisely the moment that the ball bounces or a split-second after, as with this effort from David Ginola or umpteen strikes from the king of the half-volley, Matthew Le Tissier (here we have exhibits ABC and D). With half-volleys it shouldn't matter whether the ball has bounced before it is then struck on the bounce, as with this famous half-volley from Gerrard or this deranged masterpiece from Tony Yeboah; the only defining characteristic is the point at which contact is made, not what has gone before.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2009/sep/02/what-is-a-volley-football

Pretty much what I said I think.

Therefore I win

IN YOUR FACE USELESS!

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â