Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

As a 90's child we had our fair share of historical moments.

1. Fall of Communism 

2. Velvet revolution

3. Balkan wars (ethnic cleansing, Mostar bridge etc...)

4. Diana's death

5. Boris Yeltsin too drunk to get off a plane

6. Nato bombing raids in Kosovo

...to name but a few.

And yet most will probably remember the 90's for Pogs, YoYos and the rise of Take That.

Edited by AVFC_Hitz
  • Like 3

I wish I was alive to have watched the moon landings. Aside from that I wouldn't swap now for any other time.

Yeah, that WAS good. I was 15, and I stayed up all night for Apollo 11. I felt like I was witnessing the single most important event in the history of mankind. 

Now it's just an historical footnote or a conspiracy theory/joke, which saddens me.

off the top of my head - 

A whole decade of the cold war / vietnam war starting to boil over, the troubles starting in Ireland, che guevara in latin america 

61 - berlin wall

62 - cuban missile crisis

63 - martin luther king jr speech 

63 - JFK assasination

66 - world cup

66 - china revolution 

69 - moon landing

not sure how much of it actually got coverage here but it must have been an exciting / scary time

Yes, all of that. I was only a kid, but the ones that stuck me as real biggies were the Kennedy assassinations, the World Cup, Vietnam and the moon landing. All to a soundtrack of Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Hendrix, etc.  

The Villa weren't much cop, though. 

Wouldn't that have made the 10 or so years that followed all the more sweeter though? Division 3 to Champions of Europe!  Form all the stories I've heard of my Dad, uncles, and their mates, it was the most amazing time to follow the Villa all around the country. I'm glad to have been born when I was, and hardly ever long to have been born at a different time, but I would have loved to have experienced that.

Well every decade has its historical moments, but rarely are they as awe inspiring as the moon landings.

We haven't come close to it since, although admittedly getting to Mars is exceptionally difficult. They say 2030s will be the decade we make it there, well NASA says that, there are private firms looking to get there sooner.

I'd like to be alive for that, and (considerably less likely) finding even the smallest hint of intelligent life out there.

Children of the 80's/90's had the best childhoods (imo).  We had the best combination of still actually having some sense of adventure and playing outdoors along with some standard of technology.  We've seen the development of computer games and we definitely had the best TV programmes and toys.

• Like 3

playing outdoors

What's that then?

It's a game in Birmingham where you pretend to be the owner of an off licence.

:crylaugh: brilliant. I remember those days fondly.

"Oooh, packet of rainbow drops today Tom? That'll be 10p.."

"No, you've given me 7p.. .... .... you need to give me 3p more Tom.."

"Another penny Tom.."

"Right! That's it! Get out of here Tom, and tell you parents what a little dick you've been!"

Those were the days..

• Like 2

Well every decade has its historical moments, but rarely are they as awe inspiring as the moon landings.

yep, I can't wait for this to happen for real.....

cricket

pixies

belly nipple

I wish I was alive to have watched the moon landings. Aside from that I wouldn't swap now for any other time.

Yeah, that WAS good. I was 15, and I stayed up all night for Apollo 11. I felt like I was witnessing the single most important event in the history of mankind. 

Now it's just an historical footnote or a conspiracy theory/joke, which saddens me.

off the top of my head - 

A whole decade of the cold war / vietnam war starting to boil over, the troubles starting in Ireland, che guevara in latin america 

61 - berlin wall

62 - cuban missile crisis

63 - martin luther king jr speech 

63 - JFK assasination

66 - world cup

66 - china revolution 

69 - moon landing

not sure how much of it actually got coverage here but it must have been an exciting / scary time

Yes, all of that. I was only a kid, but the ones that stuck me as real biggies were the Kennedy assassinations, the World Cup, Vietnam and the moon landing. All to a soundtrack of Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Hendrix, etc.  

The Villa weren't much cop, though. 

Wouldn't that have made the 10 or so years that followed all the more sweeter though? Division 3 to Champions of Europe!  Form all the stories I've heard of my Dad, uncles, and their mates, it was the most amazing time to follow the Villa all around the country. 

Very much so, yes. One of the few bright spots in the 80s, the decade of shit music, shit fashions and Margaret Thatcher. 

The 80s was so shit that it's brilliant. I love a good 80s film. Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Back to the Future, The Terminator, The Breakfast Club.

And lots of the music was shit, true, but that's the same in any other decade.

You always love the decade (decades in my case since I was mainly a 90s kid admittedly) that you grew up in. They're a part of who you are and when you get older you always think things aren't as good as they were when you were younger. My brother had his first kid last year and whenever she comes over we stick the kids shows on and they're so shit compared to the original Thomas the Tank Engine and Super Ted.

Edited by Ginko

Children of the 80's/90's had the best childhoods (imo).  We had the best combination of still actually having some sense of adventure and playing outdoors along with some standard of technology.  We've seen the development of computer games and we definitely had the best TV programmes and toys.

Ah yes knock down ginger where we rung our next door neighbours doorbell and run off and hid around the corner

never get fun like that from an X-Box one

was a big group of us around the same age in my road  ... we used to rush home from school , change our clothes and either go off into the woods playing 40 / 40 (hide and seek to some ) , ride our bikes around or head up the park playing football  .. interesting hide and seek changed to getting girls to show us their fanny as we became teenagers :)

you only came home when it got so dark you couldn't see the ball any more

and none of us got molested by a TV star or radio personality either

• Like 3

well I grew up in a seaside / fairground town so between run o' the mill paedo's and the annual Radio 1 Roadshow it's a miracle I got out alive

To one side we had a few beaches of various quality from sand, through mud to pebbles. There were basically two beach games:

sandy beach - light a bonfire, stand around it in a circle, lob in an aerosol can and wait.......when it blew up it generally took out somebody at knee level - a sort of twist on musical chairs

pebbly beach - all stand together with two hands full of decent sized pebbles - lob one hand of pebbles in the air vertically and stand their running the risk of them coming down and knocking you out - if you bottled and ran, then the other pebbles in the other hand were all for you - a sort of variation on russian roulette

to the back of the island was the steam train graveyard - hours of fun scooping out the white papier mache stuff from the boilers to fashion year round snowmen or bike ramps - later in life it's obvious this wasn't paper mulch but asbestos

life was cheap and we were happy

well I grew up in a seaside / fairground town so between run o' the mill paedo's and the annual Radio 1 Roadshow it's a miracle I got out alive

To one side we had a few beaches of various quality from sand, through mud to pebbles. There were basically two beach games:

sandy beach - light a bonfire, stand around it in a circle, lob in an aerosol can and wait.......when it blew up it generally took out somebody at knee level - a sort of twist on musical chairs

pebbly beach - all stand together with two hands full of decent sized pebbles - lob one hand of pebbles in the air vertically and stand their running the risk of them coming down and knocking you out - if you bottled and ran, then the other pebbles in the other hand were all for you - a sort of variation on russian roulette

to the back of the island was the steam train graveyard - hours of fun scooping out the white papier mache stuff from the boilers to fashion year round snowmen or bike ramps - later in life it's obvious this wasn't paper mulch but asbestos

life was cheap and we were happy

You're from Wales aren't you? :lol:

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â