Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Re: The Pixies

I've only ever owned Doolittle, and heard very little else of their stuff.

But fwiw I though Doolittle was excellent. Took me about 5 listens to appreciate it, but I'm like that with most music so not sure you can apply that to everyone.

But fwiw I though Doolittle was excellent. Took me about 5 listens to appreciate it, but I'm like that with most music so not sure you can apply that to everyone.

I suppose I'd better give it another four listens, then. 

That's going to be difficult. 

like I said, I'm like that with pretty much all albums.

If I was limited to one listen per album I'd probably think all music was shit.

Pixies are a weird one for me. The best way I can sum them up is that they are piss poor musicians but really good at writing catchy, infectious riffs. For some people that isn't enough, and for others the style of music just isn't to their taste. For me, I bloody love them, but they are not good musicians at all.

I feel the same way about The Black Keys. I've listened to El Camino a million times and I love it, but you can tell they didn't record with a metronome and they don't keep time very well themselves. They performed a few weeks ago on Saturday Night Live and unfortunately were pretty damn awful, especially the drummer. He could not keep the time at all. So yes, they are pretty naff when it comes to playing, but they write catchy riffs and good licks so I enjoy them.

Edited by Ginko

Kim Deal is far from a piss poor musician.

Was just about write that. 

I think Pixies are a band for teenagers.

Having fallen in love with them in my teenage years, I kind of see what you're saying, however unlike a lot of the bands I listened to in my teens, I still give them regular playing time.

• Like 2

Anyone who likes Debaser is not welcome in my new order.

Don't wanna be in your new order anyway. If I can't listen to Debaser now and again, I may as well be dead.  :P

• Like 1

Having fallen in love with them in my teenage years, I kind of see what you're saying, however unlike a lot of the bands I listened to in my teens, I still give them regular playing time.

Sorry a bit of a random statement not sure what I meant or if it really matters.

Sorry a bit of a random statement not sure what I meant or if it really matters.

Haha! Maybe I don't know what you're saying then!

What the Pixies don't do:

Shakespeare-like lyrics (but they're far closer to Shakespeare than, say, Bieber)

Nuanced vocals (unless Kim Deal is joining in)

What the Pixies do do:

Brilliantly-produced guitar work.

A rare and frequently divine combination of male and female vocals.

Balls-to-the-wall male vocals sung with absolute conviction.

Catchy, accessible melodies.

You might like Surfer Rosa/Come on Pilgrim more than Doolittle, Mike - The lyrics and vocals are at the freakier end of their scale, but it's a more organic sound than their later stuff (which I actually like more because of the excellent production). Surfer Rosa is the album that Thom Yorke (!), David Bowie and most other musos cite as their favourite.

I like Bossanova just as much as Doolittle, and Trompe le Monde is also a fantastic album considering that it's the fourth album by a band with three classics to their name.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â