Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

'The Boat Race', I couldn't give a flying **** about these toffs racing each other and I have no idea why anyone, out side of Ox-bridge alumni, does.

I appear to have woken up in 1890 and the class system is alive and well...

Presumably because Rooney is "one of us " he's entitled to his £200k a week ... I'd imagine premier league footballers earn more than these "toffs" ever will

Money has nothing to do with class.

The class system is most certainly alive and well. I'm sat in the cafe opposite a couple of upper-middle class girls slagging off somebody they met the night before because of how they spoke.

I'm almost certainly "worth" more than they are, as individuals at least. I could never match daddies money.

Edit - yep, they're teachers.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 3

Now turning their noses up at a crying toddler. Sure, it's annoying me too, but you're in a cafe on Stoke Newington Church Street, on a Sunday.

words removed.

I'm with them on the toddler. They shouldn't be allowed in coffee shops!  :P

Now turning their noses up at a crying toddler. Sure, it's annoying me too, but you're in a cafe on Stoke Newington Church Street, on a Sunday.

words removed.

I'm with them on the toddler. They shouldn't be allowed in coffee shops! :P

Normally yes, but this is Stoke Newington. If that were the case most of the businesses here would go under. Church street is known as a family friendly place.

If you want a toddler free environment, you live in London. There are plenty of places within 15 minutes of here you can go for that.

'The Boat Race', I couldn't give a flying **** about these toffs racing each other and I have no idea why anyone, out side of Ox-bridge alumni, does.

I appear to have woken up in 1890 and the class system is alive and well...

Presumably because Rooney is "one of us " he's entitled to his £200k a week ... I'd imagine premier league footballers earn more than these "toffs" ever will

Money has nothing to do with class.

The class system is most certainly alive and well. I'm sat in the cafe opposite a couple of upper-middle class girls slagging off somebody they met the night before because of how they spoke.

I'm almost certainly "worth" more than they are, as individuals at least. I could never match daddies money.

Edit - yep, they're teachers.

That was kinda my point

The OP assumes they are toffs because they are oxford / Cambridge

But as it's not the Victorian era any longer that simple isn't the case

Heck I'm sure the other year some of the crews were American and it isn't possible to get any more uncouth :)

The class system is alive and well. 

Rooney may have more money than the boat race crews put together, but all it will buy him is stuff

What they have (or soon will) is influence and power. The right school, the right Oxbridge college and the right regiment are still the factors that will buy you a place at the top table. 

• Like 1

My impression is that Mike is kindof right about the class system regarding Oxbridge, regiment etc.

But I do think that there's also an element of merit involved a lot of the time.

The danger with assuming that it's all about who-you-know is that you can blame all your failings on that, and it can stop you achieving things and make you bitter. The real reason most of us haven't achieved anything is probably actually that we're just a shade too unremarkable.

And you can take this as gospel, coming as it does from someone who has achieved and will achieve **** all, due to being a sub-genius slackarse.

• Like 1

Babies should definitely be burned in most public places.

I'm calling social services. Again.

As for the class thing, it's partly about money, partly about who you know and a good chunk which often gets ignored is your attitude. People at the bottom have been shat on for so long they can often feel like the don't deserve any better. At the other extreme are the upper classes who have a sense of self confidence, some of whom are prepared to work for what they and some of whom believe they deserve it without effort.. For those of you who read Terry Pratchett, Lady Sybil is a good example of that cast iron self confidence.

The class system is alive and well.

Rooney may have more money than the boat race crews put together, but all it will buy him is stuff.

What they have (or soon will) is influence and power. The right school, the right Oxbridge college and the right regiment are still the factors that will buy you a place at the top table.

But that has nothing to do with class ... Half the people going to Oxbridge these day don't have in bred parents or a double barrelled name ....

That I do a quality voinjama gag - that usually results in likes being jizzed out like no tomorrow - and nothing.

:rant:

Probably too subtle. Should have just replied 'shit'. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â