Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Airport/plane etiquette (or lack thereof).

I did a return trip to Edinburgh yesterday and encountered:

* on calling passengers needing extra time to board, this appears to be the signal for everyone to join the queue

* despite there being a 1 bag limit on carry-on, most people appear to think that three is the minimum acceptable pieces of luggage required (and that's before they've been shopping) and then they complain bitterly at the lack of space in overhead lockers

* the obligatory fight for armrests

* even though we all know it's a bit of a nonsense rule, several people around me flagrantly texting and emailing throughout the flight but then hiding the phone every time a member of cabin crew walks past

* the chorus of seat belts being unclicked the second the plane hits the Tarmac

* the rush for people to get up and block the aisles as soon as we've stopped at the gate

When did the world lose its manners and consideration?

I went on a stag do a few months ago. We flew on Ryanair so you don't get seat numbers.

One of the guys who came with us paid for priority boarding AND to reserve a seat at the front of the plane.

Not only that, but as SOON as they announced boarding he ran to the front of the queue. Despite the fact he'd get on before most people anyway, and it was pointless to rush for a seat as his was reserved anyway.

It really annoyed me. Some people I guess just thrive in ebing the first to do everything!

Edited by Stevo985

* on calling passengers needing extra time to board, this appears to be the signal for everyone to join the queue

* despite there being a 1 bag limit on carry-on, most people appear to think that three is the minimum acceptable pieces of luggage required (and that's before they've been shopping) and then they complain bitterly at the lack of space in overhead lockers

* even though we all know it's a bit of a nonsense rule, several people around me flagrantly texting and emailing throughout the flight but then hiding the phone every time a member of cabin crew walks past

* the rush for people to get up and block the aisles as soon as we've stopped at the gate

You left out the people who try to push up the aisle after landing. It's simple: People in front of you get out before you do. (If you have a connecting flight you'll get to it before your luggage does anyway.)

and people no longer dress for dinner or stand for the national anthem, what is thew world coming to.

Edited by Seat68

"If you're going to be the **** project manager, how about you do it **** right?" is something I won't be saying to someone today :rant: :rant:

It's always been my problem that I DO say those things. 

As did an ex-colleague of mine, sorely missed. He was walking down the stairs out of the building one winter's evening when the University's (notoriously inept) chief finance officer came up behind him and told him he ought to switch the lights off on each floor as he passed - "Think of the university's finances". 

He replied: "David, if you want to think of the University's finances, I suggest you stop feeding the boiler with fivers". 

I say 'brudda' instead of brother.

Not bred'rin? I am disappointed.

On the subject of accents though, both sides of my family are from Birmingham, with most living in Sutton, and I grew up in Lichfield which isn't far from Brum at all and most of my mates growing up all had Brummie or Midland accents at least, but most people would struggle to place me based on my accent.

I don't seem to have a very strong one, and I'm apparently quite well-spoken. The journalism course I did last year was based in Wolverhampton, so you can imagine how most of those guys sounded. They all said I sounded posh and made fun of me :(

Still, better that than a Black Country accent, jeesh.

Edited by Ginko

I say 'brudda' instead of brother.

Not bred'rin? I am disappointed.

On the subject of accents though, both sides of my family are from Birmingham, with most living in Sutton, and I grew up in Lichfield which isn't far from Brum at all and most of my mates growing up all had Brummie or Midland accents at least, but most people would struggle to place me based on my accent.

I don't seem to have a very strong one, and I'm apparently quite well-spoken. The journalism course I did last year was based in Wolverhampton, so you can imagine how most of those guys sounded. They all said I sounded posh and made fun of me :(

Still, better that than a Black Country accent, jeesh.

There's no difference!!

and people no longer dress for dinner or stand for the national anthem, what is thew world coming to.

To my shame, I actually commented on something similar the other day. Whilst at the theatre my the gf a couple of weeks ago I was heard to bemoan the fact that people don't get dressed up to go out anymore. I'm old before my time :(

"If you're going to be the **** project manager, how about you do it **** right?" is something I won't be saying to someone today :rant: :rant:

It's always been my problem that I DO say those things.

Oh I'm definitely the other (wrong) side of diplomatic in that I don't 'play the game' very well. Ironically my customers prefer that because I'm honest (to a fault) and they'll get the real story with no bullshit and I'll help as soon as I can instead of the usual "oh you sent the email a minute ago, that means I can deal with it on Tuesday" that you often get. But I'd stop short of the above sentence which would probably get you fired. It's just infuriating.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

While I know you boys get frustrated at least you know you're awesome. That has to count for something. (I would normally follow my upbeat words with a hug, know that. Smile. )

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit a second. BOF, aren't you off soon....for a long long time? I want my would be hug back. :P

• Like 1

My mate, who also teaches in Turkey, is an Asian brummy.

He'll call me up and day things like "So what ya sayin' about Istanbul?" 

"It's good, man"

"Got ya man, got ya".

I dread to think how he get's understood most of the time.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit a second. BOF, aren't you off soon....for a long long time? I want my would be hug back. :P

I'm off every Friday, not every day. Although yes there are only 6 days left :) I tactically used my annual leave to ensure no more full weeks.
  • Like 1

Clicking the most recent threads type list.... entered the "Randy Learner" Thread. 

First post I saw was 

You're a word removed, Lerner.

Returned to Off Topic. 

:rolleyes: 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â