Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

It was an analogy but was trying to be too clever for it's own good.  Great programme though.

Exactly, and it was a very good analogy imo. It made a pretty good point.

But you can't have an analogy as the number 1 game on a list of games that changed the world. That's silly.

I didn't like the sensationalising of the Mortal Kombat fatality making look like an attack on a woman and also a sexual one with it going groin first.  

That fatality occurs on whatever character you're fighting and the majority of characters are male.

Tom Daley is out.

It pisses me off that he denied it for so long to then make a big show and dance of it via YouTube. Look at me look at me!

Get over yourself you daft prick it's 2013.

God I hate that guy.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

I didn't like the sensationalising of the Mortal Kombat fatality making look like an attack on a woman and also a sexual one with it going groin first.  

That fatality occurs on whatever character you're fighting and the majority of characters are male.

I'm surprised it wasn't a Panorama documentary going by this post. That's their kind of trick.

Tom Daley is out.

It pisses me off that he denied it for so long.

I think it's a sad indictment on where we are as a society that this kind of thing is still regarded as newsworthy. Maybe if we were more accepting, he wouldn't have felt he had to deny it. Not that it's any of our business in the first place. Questions like 'what took you so long' imply an inherent right to know about someone else's sexual orientation when the reality is we simply don't have that right.

I'm surprised it wasn't a Panorama documentary going by this post. That's their kind of trick.
Brooker is very much pro gaming, his angle was actually one of "look at these daft clearings in the woods not getting it".

And to be fair, it is in the game.

Re Daley - See edit BOF.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

Brooker is very much pro gaming, his angle was actually one of "look at these daft clearings in the woods not getting it".

And to be fair, it is in the game.

Re Daley - See edit BOF.

Oh I know he's pro-gaming. It's still a little disingenuous to use an example of one thing (a fatality) which, in isolation, and being viewed by a perhaps not-up-to-speed viewership, could change the appropriateness of the act.

Re Daley - See edit BOF.

Ninja edits FTL :P But on that, mine was a commentary on us in general, not on you. That 'story'(sic) has appeared on my FB timeline from several 'reputable' news outlets.

It's hardly a 'big show and dance'.

On one hand, yes, it shouldn't be newsworthy, and it doesn't matter a bit, but it seems as though it was a case of 'hear it from me, or read gossip in the gutter press', and I think he chose the right option - that those were the options available says more about society than it does about him.

Edited by CarewsEyebrowDesigner

It's hardly a 'big show and dance'.

On one hand, yes, it shouldn't be newsworthy, and it doesn't matter a bit, but it seems as though it was a case of 'hear it from me, or read gossip in the gutter press', and I think he chose the right option - that those were the options available says more about society than it does about him.

I don't mind that he came out with it on twitter. That's his prerogative. It's no different to any celebrity announcing a new girlfriend/boyfriend/dogfriend. It's that the real news outlets picked it up and ran with it.

Fair point. Though for the first time in my life I thought "I hope there aren't any 10 year olds playing that". Games were a bit more "cartoony" back in the day, the realism shown in that clip opened my eyes a little to how potentially disturbing games can be. There aren't too many movies that display such horrific violence, trust me I've seen most of them!

I'm not calling for censorship in games, but I think there should be stricter (and more realistic perhaps, I think the 18 certificate is a little antiquated) age controls in place surrounding all media.

It was interesting to me anyway.

You mean the PEGI rating? Shops have to abide by it and are in trouble if they don't. In reality they probably don't all do it but they're accountable if someone takes issue. If a parent wants to flout it (little Johhny getting GTAV for Christmas) then that's on their head.

I completely agree that games could terrorise a child though :lol:

Yeah that particular bit of violence was particularly gruesome. Brutal.

I do think that was slightly over the mark to be honest. Female or male, that was a bit too gory for my liking.

• Like 1

I do think that was slightly over the mark to be honest. Female or male, that was a bit too gory for my liking.

Well obviously it prompted me to watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZYnBxdThvU

I think if you watch them all in context then yes they are pretty gruesome and extreme but a bit silly and cartoonish too.  I do think that clip alone shown and described as it was did demonise a little unfaily (not trying to say it is pleasant or anything).  The original Mortal Kombat probably seemed as bad at the time.

Well obviously it prompted me to watch this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZYnBxdThvU

I think if you watch them all in context then yes they are pretty gruesome and extreme but a bit silly and cartoonish too.  I do think that clip alone shown and described as it was did demonise a little unfaily (not trying to say it is pleasant or anything).  The original Mortal Kombat probably seemed as bad at the time.

Maybe.

But to me, it was the screaming victim before the violence occurred that was as disturbing as the violence itself. Not so much the act, more the context it was in.

I'd genuinely say that particular moment was "disturbing". The original mortal kombat was shocking at the time, but it was still very much cartoony, for want of a better word. This was very very real.

Fair enough they may have taken it out of context, I haven't played it (fighting games are gash, imo). 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â