Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

When people say "The 'N word'", instead of actually saying the word itself (nigger).

It's an ugly, vile word, but cleaning it up by referring to it as the "N Word", does us all a disservice.

"He got fired for calling the sales manager the N word."

Just say the **** word, so people can hear it in all it's ugliness.

It's part of the language, it should be heard, and maybe then the full meaning and impact of the word can be properly understood, especially by young people, who have been desensitized to it, either though the overuse of the word (in rap music and the wider popular culture), or by the extraction of the words' teeth by abbreviating it down to one letter.

The imdb message boards' word filters are particularly ridiculous with this one.

But what really annoys me is when "nigger" is retrospectively censored in historical sources - whether it's The Dambusters dog, Twain's Huckleberry Finn, or the fact that "nigger brown" was until comparatively recently a routine term for a particular paint or fabric shade. This sort of revisionist nonsense should be resisted at all costs.

When people say "The 'N word'", instead of actually saying the word itself (nigger).

It's an ugly, vile word, but cleaning it up by referring to it as the "N Word", does us all a disservice.

It's part of the language, it should be heard, and maybe then the full meaning and impact of the word can be properly understood, especially by young people, who have been desensitized to it, either though the overuse of the word (in rap music and the wider popular culture), or by the extraction of the words' teeth by abbreviating it down to one letter.

I had an interesting chat with my flatmate and his friend (both are black) about the word.

My flatmate says he wouldn't care if a white man said to him on the street 'You alright n*gger?' and he considers it a way of informally speaking. His friend totally disagreed and sided with me in the fact that due to the history of the word, even as one black man to another, you are doing the other guy a disservice and putting him down.

You want to watch a stream just to see adverts? Eh!

Not any old adverts.

Super Bowl adverts.

There's a difference.

SUPER BOWL.

bb083.jpg

You can see all the Super Bowl adverts HERE moments after they air stateside. Some of them have been pretty good so far.

Thanks to Levi for the link.

My father's friend has a Canon 7D. A serious piece of photo equipment. At the game yesterday he kept taking photos. It was a bit annoying that he kept flashing and not watching the game and that, but I was content that we'd see some good pictures afterwards.

Nine out of every ten photos were completely blurry. You go out and spend loads of money on a camera, but then don't know how to use it. What is the point?

I'm sure this has been picked up before, but:

The use of the word 'epic' as a superlative.

Heads will roll...

Good to see someone agree with me.

Epic fail **** me right off.

Also, we have no Snickers in.

When you have to type in some weird random bunch of letters in a form to show you are not a computer and either you can't read what the letters are or when you type it all in exactly, it comes back saying 'incorrect'

When you search Google for something and you go to a page that seems like it might have what you want, but instead it turns out to be a pge with another search engine asking you to type your 'search terms' in.

I hate computers and the internet.

How every Aston Villa player who wasn't crap is referred to as a legend. Sasa Curcic 'legend 'savo milosevic 'legend', Olof Mellberg 'legend', Juan Pablo Angel 'legend', Steve Stone 'legend' etc

Legends are players like Taylor, Yorke, Mcgrath.

I think Mellberg WAS a legend, but thats for another day.

Agree on Savo and Curcic, who on earth calls Steve Stone a legend? :shock:

Not being able to get on here on ym phone, meaning I can't annoy you all as much. :cry:

I had an interesting chat with my flatmate and his friend (both are black) about the word.

My flatmate says he wouldn't care if a white man said to him on the street 'You alright n*gger?' and he considers it a way of informally speaking. His friend totally disagreed and sided with me in the fact that due to the history of the word, even as one black man to another, you are doing the other guy a disservice and putting him down.

Ask them about the historical thing.

I mean, I would never dream of calling someone a nigger, to their face or behind their back, but the rewriting thing really bugs me.

Mark Twain (who was massively anti-racist BTW) reflected the way people spoke in 1860s America. He didn't write "slave" he wrote "nigger". Should it be rewritten?

Guy Gibson's dog WAS called "Nigger". It was a common name back then for a black dog. It described the dog's colour (Latin "niger" = black. As in the country Nigeria - is THAT racist?).

Incidentally, why did you put an asterisk in there? (n*gger)

I read that the Dambusters dog is going to be called "nigsy", as that was a shorter name used in the book.

Still annoying that they are rewriting it (isn't that Orwell territory?), but I guess at least it is still attempting to stay true to the book.

Incidentally, I didn't realise Stephen Fry was writing the Dambusters movie.

I read that the Dambusters dog is going to be called "nigsy", as that was a shorter name used in the book.

Still annoying that they are rewriting it (isn't that Orwell territory?), but I guess at least it is still attempting to stay true to the book.

I'm not convinced this is going to get made now. Which wouldn't bother me one bit.

When you say "the book" - which one? Paul Brickhill's? (Written not long after the war, and full of inaccuracies), Gibson's "Enemy Coast Ahead"? Or one of the more recent - and more accurate - accounts?

I'm not convinced this is going to get made now. Which wouldn't bother me one bit.

When you say "the book" - which one? Paul Brickhill's? (Written not long after the war, and full of inaccuracies), Gibson's "Enemy Coast Ahead"? Or one of the more recent - and more accurate - accounts?

Oh, I don't know. I'd have to look on the article. I haven't read any of the books or seen the film to be honest. This article just mentioned that "Nigsy" was used by the guy who owned the dog in "the book". I can't remember which book it was referring to.

Oh, I don't know. I'd have to look on the article. I haven't read any of the books or seen the film to be honest. This article just mentioned that "Nigsy" was used by the guy who owned the dog in "the book". I can't remember which book it was referring to.

Sorry, I'm an obsessive WWII anorak!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â