Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

...daddy might swing them a job in the city,  or a commission in his old regiment, but otherwise it will only take them so far...

From personal experience I can tell you you're way off the mark on that one.

I'd name and shame, but they give me nice references, so I won't.

you seem to be suggesting that  rich people can't produce dumb kids though  ?

:bang:

Rich and poor both produce clever AND dumb kids.

I was being slightly facetious btw  ...

That becomes even more difficult to spot when this thread has had genuinely remarkable levels of misinterpretation recently, so I apologise :D

...daddy might swing them a job in the city,  or a commission in his old regiment, but otherwise it will only take them so far...

Influence get you rich (and yes, powerful), but it can't get you a PhD. Which I have more respect for.

Dunno if I've any special respect for a PhD to be honest. It's often people who enjoy college life that stay in study. I respect that they've done work. But the transition from college into working life is equally tough. I turned down the chance to do A PhD so consider me biased.

Bloody glad I did too. Finish in 2007 wouldn't be the best time to be looking for work.

Edited by CVByrne

Influence get you rich (and yes, powerful), but it can't get you a PhD. Which I have more respect for.

as a bit of a blagger when it comes to these things  ,I've often wondered could you blag a PhD  , in the way I blagged my O'Levels and the quiz machine in my local pub  ..or do you genuinely get found out at that level ?

you seem to be suggesting that  rich people can't produce dumb kids though  ?

:bang:

Rich and poor both produce clever AND dumb kids.

I was being slightly facetious btw  ...

That becomes even more difficult to spot when this thread has had genuinely remarkable levels of misinterpretation recently, so I apologise :D

:)

no need to apologise , it certainly wasn't what I was angling for 

So i got my first placement and I'm extremely excited, but the school I'm in isn't that great.

Everyone just keeps telling me it's an opportunity to be an outstanding teacher and show the terrible ones up.

Oh and it has a green uniform! Urgh

It is a good opportunity. My GF has been in a special measures school for 2 years having previously been at a private school. The school have just been through OFSTED (two weeks before the end of term!) and finally come out of special measures. My GF played a huge role in this, and after only two years at the school and no middle management experience is literacy coordinator, head of year and on the senior leadership team next year. I will pay for this.

This is the advice I get from numerous teachers who have been my mentor leading up to my first placement.

Show up the teachers who have been at it for years and make an immediate impact.

as a bit of a blagger when it comes to these things ,I've often wondered could you blag a PhD , in the way I blagged my O'Levels and the quiz machine in my local pub ..or do you genuinely get found out at that level ?

In CS at least, for software engineering at knowledgeable employers, a BS is worth almost as much as the PhD (and both more than an MS) in practice (the standard CS curriculum has a pretty rigorous BS program, but it's possible to get a CS MS without ever taking a class in algorithms or even discrete math...)

So i got my first placement and I'm extremely excited, but the school I'm in isn't that great.

Everyone just keeps telling me it's an opportunity to be an outstanding teacher and show the terrible ones up.

Oh and it has a green uniform! Urgh

It is a good opportunity. My GF has been in a special measures school for 2 years having previously been at a private school. The school have just been through OFSTED (two weeks before the end of term!) and finally come out of special measures. My GF played a huge role in this, and after only two years at the school and no middle management experience is literacy coordinator, head of year and on the senior leadership team next year. I will pay for this.
This is the advice I get from numerous teachers who have been my mentor leading up to my first placement.

Show up the teachers who have been at it for years and make an immediate impact.

And no doubt you will, there are some real dinosaurs out there. It is shocking what some teachers get away with. The amount of work my GF does is ridiculous but she does it because she loves the kids and wants the best for them. It pisses me off that some get away with doing the bare minimum. I toyed with a career in teaching, but after seeing the work my GF puts in I know I wouldn't be up to it. I like to relax when I get in, not work until I sleep!

Somebody needs to tell the people of Northern Ireland. They are Not Irish and they are Not English. So stop pretending you are. You are all Northern Irish, from the country Northern Ireland. 

I'm sure English are as sick of these Orange Men shit as we are with these Sinn Fein tossers. 

Marching through Republican areas is only done to incite them. Idiots. What was worse was when they came to Dublin to march. Even more idiotic that was. Give the inner city scum a focal point for rioting. rocket polishers, 

**** sick of Northern Ireland. Nobody cares. 

Rant Over.

• Like 2

I care!

Masters degrees in 'Creative Writing'.

They are thinking of adding a 'Creative Writing' A Level.

What a load of horse bollocks.

I did a module of Creative Writing as a free choice as part of my degree. Was great, and a lovely, easy 60 credits. You just have to know what your tutor deems creative and tailor your work to those sensibilities. It was a good course in fairness, it encouraged me to try read some writers I never would have and to put techniques into practice that I had never thought of.

Thinking about, people study art and music, why not creative writing? It isn't some arcane field, but a craft. Sure, talent is a necessity, but constant refinement is the key to successful writing.

I don't see the point in it as a separate subject. If you want to study English, study English. Good writing does indeed come from refinement and practice, but creative writing programmes and their American equivalent just produce a mediocre, perfectly 'sell able' writing. The 'tailor your work to those sensibilities' comment sums it up. It produces marketable writing, and very little of interest.

It's the water part that is the worry. It's 30 degrees tomorrow. People could be in trouble. 

Also the day of fast is shorter in Dubai than here in England

If you were in Lapland you'd be in a real spot of bother though

It's like whoever inspired the bronze age shepherds to make up the rules didn't know that he'd created a globe and spun it at an angle offset from the perpendicular of its orbit. I suppose that's easy to miss when you're omnipresent and omniscient. Or don't exist.

On an unrelated note, how long are The Ashes on for?

I'd like to know when I can start watching Sky Sports News again.

think the last test is on the weekend of the 2nd game of he season

For **** sake!

It's back to back Ashes series this year! After the home series, we then travel to Australia for 5 tests. November - January  :D

No offence but what purpose does studying English serve bar perpetuating the study of English? I can't see an application in the real world.

The world economy relies on it.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â