Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

So i got my first placement and I'm extremely excited, but the school I'm in isn't that great.

Everyone just keeps telling me it's an opportunity to be an outstanding teacher and show the terrible ones up.

Oh and it has a green uniform! Urgh

So?

Why do you want to become a teacher? Is it for the holidays? To work with kids that will succeed anyway due to their opportunities of birth or is it to make a difference?

I don't mean to give you a hard time but I've spent 13 years working alongside Teachers and the education sector and the negativity around certain schools from teachers really annoys me.

If you become or want to become a teacher to make a difference to kids lives, which surely is the main reason anyone wants to be a teacher, then you want to try and work with and help those kids who need you the most?

What?

I even stated that by 'not a great school' I meant by Ofsted standards. I explicitly said that there are some schools in affluent areas that are terrible and schools in less wealthy areas that are exceptional. I would have loved to go into a school like that, that has less able and wealthy kids, where the standard of teaching is excellent so I could actually contribute to children who really need it. Instead I'm in a school in a very middle class area, in which the standard of teaching is failing the kids.

Add to that, it's my FIRST official placement of an extremely esteemed course and you can see why I'm a tad apprehensive. The Ofsted said, 'the whole of KS2 teaching brings through children at a less than satisfactory level' and only the KS1 teaching saved the school from getting the lowest grade you can get.

Forgive me for wanting to learn how to teach at a high level, from the best teachers. 

Your post stinks of looking for any reason to have a go. You even used the oldest cliche's in the book.

I wasn't having a go as I said, it was a general point rather than one directed purely at you based on 13 years of experience with teachers.

However, you didn't say these things in the post I was responding to if you said them in a later one I've not seen it.

The post I responded to was you complaining you weren't going to a better school in a thread called things that piss you off.

So i got my first placement and I'm extremely excited, but the school I'm in isn't that great.

Everyone just keeps telling me it's an opportunity to be an outstanding teacher and show the terrible ones up.

So?

Why do you want to become a teacher? Is it for the holidays? To work with kids that will succeed anyway due to their opportunities of birth or is it to make a difference?

I don't mean to give you a hard time but I've spent 13 years working alongside Teachers and the education sector and the negativity around certain schools from teachers really annoys me.

If you become or want to become a teacher to make a difference to kids lives, which surely is the main reason anyone wants to be a teacher, then you want to try and work with and help those kids who need you the most?

Sorry but I read your first line as having a go. Maybe in a passive aggressive way, but the intent is definitely there.

Funnily enough, the bolded children are usually the ones who are let down the most by the education system. I was one of those. Went to an extremely average primary school in a good area, so the teachers didn't need to teach that well, because the parents would be reading to them at home, doing sums with them all the time etc. I turned out okay, but I wasted so much potential. It's hard to be motivated to push for outstanding results, when a head teacher can get 'good' results from putting in no effort whatsoever. With that, the exceptional head-teachers usually float to the top, but then they're poached to go into a failing school and often not replaced. Usually it's schools in 'worse' areas that achieve outstanding status because the teachers actually have to work hard to achieve results.

So as you can see, I'm annoyed about my placement for the exact opposite reasons than what you implied.

The post I responded to was you complaining you weren't going to a better school in a thread called things that piss you off.

It's fairly ignorant to suggest that 'bad school = bad area' because your whole post was based on that assumption.
Edited by StefanAVFC

So as you can see, I'm annoyed about my placement for the exact opposite reasons than what you implied.

That is obvious now from you subsequent posts but wasn't from your first one which is the one I responded to and the only one I'd read at the time.

Still it wasn't a personal attack as such but surely you can see why I thought that was your issue from the first post in isolation with it being in this thread.

That is obvious now from you subsequent posts but wasn't from your first one which is the one I responded to and the only one I'd read at the time.

Still it wasn't a personal attack as such but surely you can see why I thought that was your issue from the first post in isolation with it being in this thread.

I would still suggest that it's a tad ignorant to think that 'bad school = bad area = bad area'

But that's neither here nor there :P

And because you asked, I want to go into teaching to make a difference. Start in the classroom and make a difference individually, then get to the top and make a difference generally.

Edited by StefanAVFC

From now I'm going to put disclaimers in all my posts so things can't be misconstrued and arguments can be prevented :P

DISCLAIMER: This isn't aimed at anybody in particular.

A good primary school teacher is priceless.  They spend as much (waking) time with your child as you do during the school week and it should be teacher & parent guiding the kid rather than parent versus teacher in some misguided stand-off.  They're the most important person in a child's life after its parents.  But that's only a good teacher.

I would still suggest that it's a tad ignorant to think that 'bad school = bad area = bad area'

But that's neither here nor there :P

And because you asked, I want to go into teaching to make a difference. Start in the classroom and make a difference individually, then get to the top and make a difference generally.

I've spent 13 years recruiting teachers for Primary schools, dealing with heads and my misses is a head teacher. So I'm certainly not ignorant about schools and I certainly don't think bad school = bad area etc.

As I said, I was going on a combination of your first post and thread title which was a fair enough conclusion.

They're the most important person in a child's life after its parents.  But that's only a good teacher.

The sad truth BOF is for some kids they are more important.

Some kids will be failed at home no kids should be failed by their teacher or school.

Anyway that is a whole different thread so I will shut up before I start off on one... :)

• Like 1

A good primary school teacher is priceless.  They spend as much (waking) time with your child as you do during the school week and it should be teacher & parent guiding the kid rather than parent versus teacher in some misguided stand-off.  They're the most important person in a child's life after its parents.  But that's only a good teacher.

Agreed. A lot of parents don't make it easy for teachers though.

Well yes, quite Trent. I was just trying to stave off the fauxtrage that a comment like "most important bar none" would have undoubtedly invited :) You gotta take your audience into account, innit :P

I had shit primary school teachers. Mostly shit secondary school teachers. But I was one if those kids teachers hated, every thing came easy to me so I could put half effort in and spend the rest of the time distracting other kids and all round messing.

My mate was even worse. He has an edict memory. Which means he can read something and he always remembers it. Would just do a bit of cramming before and exam and get A every time.

My parents were the biggest and best influence in my life. My mother tried her best to keep me and my older brother out of trouble. Moved out of housing estate when we could afford it to a house with a back garden that we could play in supervised. She made sure we went to schools outside the local area to further stop us becoming one of those kids hanging round on the streets. To make sure we didn't have local friends. All my friends required a lift to get to bar neighbours.

My Dad just set a good example of hardworking father. Didn't miss a days work for a 7 year stretch once. Which I'm about to surpass having never taken a sick day in my life yet.

But I get it that if parents don't care about their children as much then it could end up being teachers who have to be the positive influence on their young lives.

I had shit primary school teachers. Mostly shit secondary school teachers. But I was one if those kids teachers hated, every thing came easy to me so I could put half effort in and spend the rest of the time distracting other kids and all round messing.

My mate was even worse. He has an edict memory. Which means he can read something and he always remembers it. Would just do a bit of cramming before and exam and get A every time.

it84eqcavrw8oucas896tbcawqsh0aca65a68sca

My parents were the biggest and best influence in my life. My mother tried her best to keep me and my older brother out of trouble. Moved out of housing estate when we could afford it to a house with a back garden that we could play in supervised. She made sure we went to schools outside the local area to further stop us becoming one of those kids hanging round on the streets. To make sure we didn't have local friends. All my friends required a lift to get to bar neighbours.

My Dad just set a good example of hardworking father. Didn't miss a days work for a 7 year stretch once. Which I'm about to surpass having never taken a sick day in my life yet.

But I get it that if parents don't care about their children as much then it could end up being teachers who have to be the positive influence on their young lives.

Same here. Council estate upbringing, but my parents taught me good manners and an ethical code.

Most importantly, my mum had taught me to read by the age of three, which has probably been the single most important factor in shaping my life (I did the same for my kids, incidentally).

Throw in a few inspirational teachers (among all the duff ones), and that's who I am, for better or worse. Nothing much else matters.

(Not that sick leave thing, though. Nothing wrong with the odd sickie).

So?

I'm trying to understand this comment  .... what do you mean by it ?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â