Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

So i got my first placement and I'm extremely excited, but the school I'm in isn't that great.

Everyone just keeps telling me it's an opportunity to be an outstanding teacher and show the terrible ones up.

Oh and it has a green uniform! Urgh

Look at it this way. There are going to be plenty of talented kids in there who are gonna go on and get good jobs and do well in life. Just because it's a poor area doesn't mean all the kids are gonna be bad eggs.

I grew up in 80s Ireland in North Dublin where nearly every house in Baldoyle was a council house. Had I don't know how many fights. Yet I turned out relatively successful.

There are loads of kids like me in schools now. The worst would be if teachers didn't bother because of the area.

And to follow on to this, when I say a 'school that isn't great' I mean on Ofsted report.

There are schools in extremely wealthy areas that are failing and there are schools in not so wealthy areas that are exceptional.

The school I'm starting at is at 'requires improvement' in pretty much all areas.

And not saying Ofsted is the be all and end all, but it's a starting point.

Edited by StefanAVFC

Aye observing a fast like that which will damage health is stupid. But you have to admire the commitment.

Quite the opposite. The stomach is in constant use and it needs recovery time, so fasting is a good way of doing that. It improves the health, stomach and immune system if it is done properly.

In moderation, yes. But 3am until 9pm, no water or food, in summer, in a hot climate, for a month?

Must be a few contenders for the Darwin Awards there.

People with no willpower, who lie to themselves you mean? Sure.

But I'd rather they were honest, and say: "I found it too hard, so I gave up, now I want an easier way". (There isn't one, of course).

But in my experience they don't say that, they claim that they did eat less, and did exercise, and yet somehow they didn't lose any weight. They are lying to themselves and others.

No I mean the old metabolism argument. I've seen fat people eat relatively little and still remain fat. Of course, if they went on an intense exercise regime (military training for instance) they would most definitely still lose weight, so the general principle holds - but it does seem that some people need to exercise more than others, or eat less than others, in order to achieve the same amount of weight loss.

That's true of everything that everyone does though. People are different and as differences go basal metabolic rates are not very different at all. The standard deviation of BMR is about 5% (and that's without taking age, height or total lean body mass into consideration). That means that 2sds is 10% so 96% of the population are within 10% of the population average for BMR.

In moderation, yes. But 3am until 9pm, no water or food, in summer, in a hot climate, for a month?

Must admit I thought they could drink water. I didn't think it was a 100% fast but if it is then that's just silly.

Aye observing a fast like that which will damage health is stupid. But you have to admire the commitment.

I find the fact that they can still work while observing Ramadan more impressive.

Imagine trying to observe Ramadan in this weather (it's up to about 28 degrees C here), if you were, say, an outdoor construction worker, or a traffic warden etc. You can't eat and you can't drink (even water). You'd pass out, and do your body untold damage at the same time. Religious pillocks.

Must admit I thought they could drink water. I didn't think it was a 100% fast but if it is then that's just silly.

Apparently it's 'everything'. I have been told though that you can ask for exemption from your religious leader (don't know what they're called - the equivalent of a Rabbi) who has the power to 'let you off' without you irking God (or something like that)

It was Ramadan during the Olympics last year.

Mo Farrar very sensibly took the line "I'll do the fasting at a more convenient time".

Obviously one of those C of E Muslims.

Apparently it's 'everything'. I have been told though that you can ask for exemption from your religious leader (don't know what they're called - the equivalent of a Rabbi) who has the power to 'let you off' without you irking God (or something like that)

:crylaugh:  Imam, BTW.

Meh, their choice.

Just make sure no doctor is up to it.

Or anyone who has other people's lives in their hands.

I bet there's a fair few. Doctors, nurses, surgeons, dentists, bus drivers, train drivers, pilots, etc, etc.

Reckless, and shouldn't be allowed in such circumstances, IMO.

• Like 2

One of the lads here is fasting.

He bought back some lovely sweets from Turkey, and he can't eat them.

So I did.

:)

Edited by Xann
  • Like 1

Ah, something to do with religion that's a little bit ridiculous. That makes a change.

I've an idea what you have to do in order to get the permission.

So i got my first placement and I'm extremely excited, but the school I'm in isn't that great.

Everyone just keeps telling me it's an opportunity to be an outstanding teacher and show the terrible ones up.

So?

Why do you want to become a teacher? Is it for the holidays? To work with kids that will succeed anyway due to their opportunities of birth or is it to make a difference?

I don't mean to give you a hard time but I've spent 13 years working alongside Teachers and the education sector and the negativity around certain schools from teachers really annoys me.

If you become or want to become a teacher to make a difference to kids lives, which surely is the main reason anyone wants to be a teacher, then you want to try and work with and help those kids who need you the most?

I find the fact that they can still work while observing Ramadan more impressive.

Imagine trying to observe Ramadan in this weather (it's up to about 28 degrees C here), if you were, say, an outdoor construction worker, or a traffic warden etc. You can't eat and you can't drink (even water). You'd pass out, and do your body untold damage at the same time. Religious pillocks.

Imagine trying to fast in Dubai.

Quite the opposite. The stomach is in constant use and it needs recovery time, so fasting is a good way of doing that. It improves the health, stomach and immune system if it is done properly.

It's the water part that is the worry. It's 30 degrees tomorrow. People could be in trouble. 

Also the day of fast is shorter in Dubai than here in England

If you were in Lapland you'd be in a real spot of bother though

So i got my first placement and I'm extremely excited, but the school I'm in isn't that great.

Everyone just keeps telling me it's an opportunity to be an outstanding teacher and show the terrible ones up.

So?

Why do you want to become a teacher? Is it for the holidays? To work with kids that will succeed anyway due to their opportunities of birth or is it to make a difference?

I don't mean to give you a hard time but I've spent 13 years working alongside Teachers and the education sector and the negativity around certain schools from teachers really annoys me.

If you become or want to become a teacher to make a difference to kids lives, which surely is the main reason anyone wants to be a teacher, then you want to try and work with and help those kids who need you the most?

What?

I even stated that by 'not a great school' I meant by Ofsted standards. I explicitly said that there are some schools in affluent areas that are terrible and schools in less wealthy areas that are exceptional. I would have loved to go into a school like that, that has less able and wealthy kids, where the standard of teaching is excellent so I could actually contribute to children who really need it. Instead I'm in a school in a very middle class area, in which the standard of teaching is failing the kids.

Add to that, it's my FIRST official placement of an extremely esteemed course and you can see why I'm a tad apprehensive. The Ofsted said, 'the whole of KS2 teaching brings through children at a less than satisfactory level' and only the KS1 teaching saved the school from getting the lowest grade you can get.

Forgive me for wanting to learn how to teach at a high level, from the best teachers. 

Your post stinks of looking for any reason to have a go. You even used the oldest cliche's in the book.

Edited by StefanAVFC

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â