Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Tipping depends on the wage. It's customary in America because servers/lounge staff are minimum wage or damn close it, so they need the tips to earn a decent living and the incentive is there for them to go O.T.T. with their 'service' (geddit?). Whereas for example in Ireland where tipping is not as prevalent, it's because they aren't minimum wage. They don't need the tip but consequently because the incentive isn't there to work for it, the service is generally not on the same level as in a place where they are working towards it.

Technically, they're on less than the normal minimum wage. In Massachusetts, for instance, the normal minimum wage is $8/hr, but for service positions where tips are normally given, the minimum wage is $2.63/hr, though if the sum of tips and the hourly wage does not exceed $8/hr, the employer is required to top up for the difference (though if a waitress isn't getting $5.37 in tips from from working 5 tables with a total bill north of $100 in an hour, the manager/owner is probably going to figure at that point that she's terrible at the job and fire her).

On the flipside, for those waitstaff and bartenders who are exceptional at getting tipped, bartending and waitressing are viable long-term careers (especially when one considers that essentially all the cash tips are going to be tax-free). For a job that basically anyone can do, but only a select few can do really well, and with no easy way to tell them apart, paying a really low base wage and then having a large variation in compensation beyond that is a way to weed out the ones who don't do it well.

Tipping depends on the wage. It's customary in America because servers/lounge staff are minimum wage or damn close it, so they need the tips to earn a decent living and the incentive is there for them to go O.T.T. with their 'service' (geddit?). Whereas for example in Ireland where tipping is not as prevalent, it's because they aren't minimum wage. They don't need the tip but consequently because the incentive isn't there to work for it, the service is generally not on the same level as in a place where they are working towards it.

Technically, they're on less than the normal minimum wage. In Massachusetts, for instance, the normal minimum wage is $8/hr, but for service positions where tips are normally given, the minimum wage is $2.63/hr, though if the sum of tips and the hourly wage does not exceed $8/hr, the employer is required to top up for the difference (though if a waitress isn't getting $5.37 in tips from from working 5 tables with a total bill north of $100 in an hour, the manager/owner is probably going to figure at that point that she's terrible at the job and fire her).

On the flipside, for those waitstaff and bartenders who are exceptional at getting tipped, bartending and waitressing are viable long-term careers (especially when one considers that essentially all the cash tips are going to be tax-free). For a job that basically anyone can do, but only a select few can do really well, and with no easy way to tell them apart, paying a really low base wage and then having a large variation in compensation beyond that is a way to weed out the ones who don't do it well.

When my wife is over here in Brum she just can't get her head around the fact that we rarely tip anyone .

I spend a fair amount of time in Cancun, Mexico.  You should see the resort staff react when they hear a British accent versus an American one.  My wife and I always get better service because of the British's tipping reputation.

I spend a fair amount of time in Cancun, Mexico.  You should see the resort staff react when they hear a British accent versus an American one.  My wife and I always get better service because of the British's tipping reputation.

tbf it's probably more to do with the Alamo :)

Been in the "biz" I have seen the best and the worst of waiter/waitress,

I have worked with waiters straight from Shannon catering college fully professional ..never argues with the chef, always attentive knows how to pour wine properly and can recommend decent wines to dishes, knows the dish hes serving can cook crepes to order next to a customer ..has a knowledge of whisky and brandys 

then you have the student trying to make a buck "waiter/ress" who mainly talks to the barman the whole time ...chews gum. smokes a lot , asks what the soup is at 8:30 during service ...continually asks is that gluten free 

I would tip the first waiter/res the other one can go suck my balls 

I spend a fair amount of time in Cancun, Mexico. You should see the resort staff react when they hear a British accent versus an American one. My wife and I always get better service because of the British's tipping reputation.

tbf it's probably more to do with the Alamo :)

Funny you say that. I am from Texas and live in San Antonio. I rarely mention it...

Tradition. 11th night is for burning bonfires (usually a massive one per loyalist estate but there are many, many stacks of wood pallets and rubber tyres - one year i was coming back from Dublin and the smoke blew out and clouded up the motorway). Said bonfires are usually topped off with Ireland flags, papal flags, I saw one with a statue of Mary... you get the idea. They burn that shit up, get pissed and roughly half the population pretend not to be in ;)

Tomorrow is the 12th which means a lot of old white men banging drums, marching down roads and celebrating old battles. It too is a hotbed of sectarianism full of sectarian chants with kids running around with Kill All Catholics written on their foreheads. But sure, it's only fun.

Incidentally Ross Kemp is in town to check it all out for his new T.V show. Extreme World or some such.

That all TV shows are now about "Oh woe me take pity please" or trying to create pity for someone as if sad stories only now exist because of recession. 

You can make a TV show about anything, but the obsession with sad stories in recession times is annoying. 

Edited by CVByrne

I have yet to see a restaurant that does that.

ASK did it with me. At 16 I was earning £3.85 an hour topped up to £4.10 by my own tips.

I was referring to tony's post not codas btw. 

Oh.

And sorry to bring it up but I noticed something interesting about how different places do their tips. I have worked in 4 different restaurants who all have different methods of splitting them.

ASK - Initially was split between waiting staff, then changed to 'keep your own'

Pub - Split between everybody 

Bistro - Split between all floor staff

2nd Pub - Put in a big pot then split into shifts

Then another place where my mate worked, they gave their waiting staff an extra 10p an hour and the management pocketed the difference

This benefits program on BBC, benefits in the UK is dirt. £70 or whatever a week. Back in Ireland it's €182 a week and the attitude towards benefits in both countries is vastly different. Dole cannot be touched in Ireland, it's political dynamite. Over here everyone on benefits is lazy smouching off the hard working people. 

Interesting to say the least. 

188? How the **** do ya live on that?? It used to be over 200 back in the day  :D

I really dislike this anti benefits culture here in the UK. £72 wouldn't even feed you and they want to cut it!!! 

Just increase taxes ffs, they're too low here in England. 

Its the guys who play the "game" ..they claim all they can then work cash in hand get a house, live unmarried so the mother of the kids gets the lone parents etc...

I have an old school friend who does the above ....he went on a two week holiday to spain this year ...can be found in the pub every weekend has a membership to the local golf club mahoosive 3d tv etc ...

The wife hates when we go to see them

Edited by Meath_Villan

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â