Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Admittedly it was a long time ago, but the overly deferential waiters in the US got on my tits.

Just take my order promptly, bring the food promptly and get out of my face.

I can't stand all this "Hi, I'm Duane, I'm your waitperson for this evening, how are you this evening, have you had a good day? I'd be happy to tale your order, just give me a call whenever you need anything. The megaburger? That's an excellent choice, I recommend it myself. Would you like me to suck your dick?"

Most un-British.

• Like 3

Yeah, it's the nice-as-pie play for your tip. It's a cultural thing and I don't mind it because I know they're screwed if they don't do it both financially and probably by their employer. It's just how things are done over there. I'm with you though. Here's my order, bring it to me and I'll actually tip you more for staying out of my face.

• Like 1

I have a friend who used to work at a Beefeater (George in the Tree in balsall COmmon to be precise)

The stuff they had to say when they seated you was actually embarrassing. They HAD to say it, but it was like a whole speech about how they were happy to be your waiter, they'd give you 5 minutes to look at the menus, they'd recommend certain steaks, mention the sauces they had that day, read the specials etc

I'm not exaggerating when I say it took about a minute to say the whole thing.

All before you'd even had chance to open a menu.

• Like 1

Stevo - too effing long.

Would people rather have British customer service (i.e. no customer service) or the American way, tips et al?

Personally, being the tightest of punters, I'll take the British way every time.

In a bar the person waiting the longest should be served next not the one who tips the most generously or shouts the loudest.

The British / Wetherspoons way is to serve the best looking female. 

In a bar the person waiting the longest should be served next not the one who tips the most generously or shouts the loudest.

Should. But firstly from my experience so far in London the quality of Bar staff varys significantly. The general standard is well below what I expect from a bar in Dublin.

Secondly, I would happily pay 10% extra of my drinks cost, to subsidise someone else who can get served last regardless of order to the bar if it meant I didn't have to queue.

This is essentially what the American system does. Some people will not tip or tip little, it happens. So they get slower service than the people who tip more. It's an extension of the whole ethos of American capitalism.

I like it because I hate bloody queueing at a bar and go blind rage when shitty bar staff can't get the order of who's next correct.

On an unrelated note, how long are The Ashes on for?

I'd like to know when I can start watching Sky Sports News again.

think the last test is on the weekend of the 2nd game of he season

At least Sky have done us the service of having a Sky Sports Cricket so it doesn't pollute the other sports channels. Unfortunately Sky Sports News is not immune from it :(

On the tip thing my general rule is to round up the bill, a £42 bill ill give em £45. bulgaria last month you feel you need to tip the staff cus they earned the equivilent of £50 a week and couldnt do enough for youal and they really appreciated the tip.

On cricket i feel you need to embrace winning a 2 team competition and never shutting up about it makes me proud to be british. Cricket is a rocket polishers game.

And whats pissed me off today - being cut up by a cyclist who gave no notice to the give way to the right rule of roundabouts, pulling out infront of me causing me to slam on the brakes and all the my tools and materials smashing against the back doors which has put a dent in them.

On cricket i feel you need to embrace winning a 2 team competition and never shutting up about it makes me proud to be british. Cricket is a rocket polishers game.

bit like Premier League last few seasons ;)

• Like 1

On an unrelated note, how long are The Ashes on for?

I'd like to know when I can start watching Sky Sports News again.

think the last test is on the weekend of the 2nd game of he season

For **** sake!

And whats pissed me off today - being cut up by a cyclist who gave no notice to the give way to the right rule of roundabouts, pulling out infront of me causing me to slam on the brakes and all the my tools and materials smashing against the back doors which has put a dent in them.

Ah, now, that situation is what vehicle bumpers and tyres are for. The correct statement is "Officer, (s)he didn't even give me chance to hit the brakes when they pulled out on me. I don't know why (s)he disregarded the Highway Code and any thoughts of sef-preservation by doing something so stupid. No, I have nothing further to add to that statement."

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â