Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

At least chavvy kid's names are better than celebrity kid's names, like Apple or U-Turn

U-Turn? Is that for real?

No, I made that one up. You can have it if you want

The invasion that's been erased from history

A bit long, but interesting nonetheless.

It does ignore that a substantial proportion of Parliament essentially invited William to come over...

1688 also set the stage for 1776 (and 1861, for that matter). In reality, The English Civil War (of which 1688 was merely the denouement), the American Revolution (with the War of 1812), and the US Civil War are all stages of the same overarching war.

It's a persuasive argument, I agree.

What would you call it? The War for Democracy, or some such?

It does ignore that a substantial proportion of Parliament essentially invited William to come over...

It doesn't ignore the invitation at all. Below is the reason the article is interesting.

The conventional answer to these questions is that the British cleverly saved themselves from a second disaster with a non-violent solution to the problem.

In what became known as the Glorious Revolution, James fled the country rather than fight as his father had done and, William of Orange, the elected ruler of the Dutch Republic and Protestant to his core, was invited to take over the throne.

But a new book by Professor Lisa Jardine, one of our most eminent academics, turns this picture of cosy regime change, handed down to us for the past 300-plus years, on its head.

For the truth is that this transition of power was not a matter of choice.

A warring William was coming, whether he was welcome or not - as that battle fleet massing out in the Channel showed all too clearly.

Scottish flags in the Murray crowd at Wimbledon

If an English born player was doing well you wouldn't see English flags would you? Just British flags

Scottish flags in the Murray crowd at Wimbledon

If an English born player was doing well you wouldn't see English flags would you? Just British flags

I bet you would.

For content: the next door neighbour - a grown man, playing and singing along loudly to Ronan Keating at 8am. I know music is about opinion and can't be wrong, but damn his opinion is wrong and terrible.

Edit: 3pm, he just broke out singing it again. 

Edited by Phumfeinz
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â