Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I would never vote Tory. I'd be a traitor to myself, my family and my class.

And class .... Is there even such a thing anymore ? Apart from the inbred upper class , surely nobody else even cares these days ?

I grew up in a poor working class family , nowadays we are slightly more affluent and I don't have to wear my brothers hand me downs any longer !!! What class would I have to show loyalty to ??

For most the class system died out years ago

I would never vote Tory. I'd be a traitor to myself, my family and my class.

Ah so your ones of those that got brainwashed by dads rants at the dinner table against Thatcher :) was your family all miners or something ?

But jesting apart I've said before I don't even know how my brother , mum and dad even vote so in that regard I couldn't really ever be a traitor to my family

Fortunately I had only been born a few months before your lot thankfully stuck the knife in Thatcher's back and nobody really took any notice of John Major. I honestly can't remember my dad ever talking politics when I was a kid. I do remember going to the polling station with him on the 1st May 1997 and how 24 hours later, even as a kid, I felt a great sense of something special happening as Labour came back into power.

Naturally as you get older you start to venture into politics and I agreed with what Labour were doing (on the whole) and how the Torys were standing up for the beliefs which I thought were and still think are wrong. Now we are under another Tory government, they are even worse than I imagined they would be in this day and age where as I still believe in Labour and believe they are the party to lead this country.

• Like 1

I would agree in terms of the old two roonies sketch

The old class system in which people are born into a class in which they will always remain ended many years ago, other than amongst the very wealthy who dominate the front bench of your party ;)

But I think it is wrong to say there aren't differences in class within todays society, clearly there are only the boundaries are less pronounced, the definitions have changed and people are more socially mobile.

But divisions of class and wealth and the opportunities available as a result still very much remain.

The old class system in which people are born into a class in which they will always remain ended many years ago, other than amongst the very wealthy who dominate the front bench of your party ;)

But I think it is wrong to say there aren't differences in class within todays society, clearly there are only the boundaries are less pronounced, the definitions have changed and people are more socially mobile.

But divisions of class and wealth and the opportunities available as a result still very much remain.

Completely agree. It's not so much the traditional class system that people think of straight away but there are still different classes, new classes.

and believe they are the party to lead this country.

Ed Milliband and Ed Balls can't quite believe this ...

I'd say more but don't want to turn this thread into a bolitics one ...

Yeah that's fair enough ... I was looking at it more from the know your place aspect of the 2 Rons

As long as no one pays any attention to or takes seriously that recent BBC study/poll on an up to date more modern day class system. Was very wide of the mark.

It's this thinking that creates bubbles which lads to crashes, like the epic property crash in Ireland which has seen house prices drop by over 50% in 5 years.

I don't entirely agree. If you're financially ready to take on a mortgage it is no problem (unless you end up in long-term unemployment). IINM the problem with the American housing crash was that people became too eager to buy houses on loans they couldn't support (that's what my economics teacher told me anyhow). The lure of money also seems to be what's driving people in many parts of Asia to buy up houses like candy atm with seemingly minimal regard for financial circumspection (in turn driving prices up, and possibly creating a bubble that eventually bursts).

But I don't see any problem with the average guy on the street buying just one house that acts as both a home and a financial asset for him. If he can afford his mortgage, he will not default on it, and so bubbles aren't created.

This is just my understanding, as I've mentioned before I know little about property than the relatively experienced heads around here.

Say what you want, Labour is the party that represents my beliefs best.

In that you have no beliefs?

To coin a phrase

Zing !

:)

Not really. It was one of those lame, generic comments that you could attach to any party for a cheap laugh.

Zing! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Double standards

all the slags from the office went to see some male strippers or something last night, now that doesn't bother me at all they can do what they want but as soon as another lad started talking to me about the last time he went to a strip club I swear to christ they turned on him and told him that he should be ashamed of himself and that it is degrading to women.

**** idiots, also when one of them was asked what they were going to have to eat before they went to this show thing they answered ''I'm not eating before I go in, I'm going to eat cock when I get in there' **** hell if I said I was going to go down on a woman for my dinner or sommet like that there is no way that I would get away with it but because its some over excited 30 year old randy woman it is apparently fine for her to talk like a common street whore.

they want equality when it suits them

But I don't see any problem with the average guy on the street buying just one house that acts as both a home and a financial asset for him. If he can afford his mortgage, he will not default on it, and so bubbles aren't created.

The 'average guy on the street' isn't the only one responsible for the demand for houses, though, and that's before you get on to the (continuing) affordability.

Say what you want, Labour is the party that represents my beliefs best.

In that you have no beliefs?

He obviously believes in illegal wars, a widening of the social divide, huge civil liberty abuses and the expansion of the UK banking sector at the expense of manufacturing.

• Like 2

The 'average guy on the street' isn't the only one responsible for the demand for houses, though, and that's before you get on to the (continuing) affordability.

I agree with you, but my original point was that buying a house (instead of renting) is generally a good idea, my main point wasn't about macroeconomics.

It's this thinking that creates bubbles which lads to crashes, like the epic property crash in Ireland which has seen house prices drop by over 50% in 5 years.

I don't entirely agree. If you're financially ready to take on a mortgage it is no problem (unless you end up in long-term unemployment). IINM the problem with the American housing crash was that people became too eager to buy houses on loans they couldn't support (that's what my economics teacher told me anyhow). The lure of money also seems to be what's driving people in many parts of Asia to buy up houses like candy atm with seemingly minimal regard for financial circumspection (in turn driving prices up, and possibly creating a bubble that eventually bursts).

This is just my understanding, as I've mentioned before I know little about property than the relatively experienced heads around here.

As i've mention before i have a problematic neighbour so have been looking at the alternatives, one of which is moving into a rental.

Renting in my part of the world for a house in direct comparison with my own (end terraced) is going to cost me minimum £430 per month plus rates while my mortgage (now paid off) was costing me £130.00 per month.

Massive difference and either at the end of your mortgage term or paying it off early, you own your home.

Thats obviously the plus side and not everyone's mortgage payments are as low as that but like another poster i also invested heavily in property at the right time and then put the capital into the home i'm in now. Because of that thankfully i'm not in negative equity.

The downside of course is negative equity if you purchased at the height of the property market. A family relation is suffering from exactly that, buying a house at the height of the market for £300,000 and now worth half the original price.

He is working non stop to keep his home and his family afloat.

There is one other negative to purchasing a home.

Its practically impossible to sell that home due to contractual conditions if you are involved in a neighbourhood dispute while renting your home leaves you the option of leaving when your tenancy agreement has expired.

Thats something that not many have considered when buying your home and i would advise anyone to do a little research on who you are moving in beside whether you are renting or thinking of being a home owner.

Edited by Morpheus

Embarrassingly ;) , I'm in the same camp as Tony when it comes to the property ladder.

The point is, it's an investment like any other - the value can go down as well as up, therefore there is risk involved.

Now I'm normally massively risk-averse, I never gamble. But we decided that getting an old house and 'doing it up' was a sensible idea - this was in the mid-80s, as it happened a good time to do it. Mortgages were freely available (although interest rates were sky high). But the motivation was to have a decent home, not to make a massive profit.

As it happened we did make a tidy profit when we sold it in 1997, and got our next house at a bargain price - another doer-upper. The result is that we now have a lovely house and are mortgage free. Lucky us.

Assuming we can sell, we'll certainly make some form of profit on it in a few years, when we plan to downsize.

But sure, if you bought the wrong house at the wrong time, you'd have got burned, there's no denying it.

Edited by mjmooney

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â