Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

tony many people have made money in the property investments, I have not said that they have not. Millions upon millions were made in Ireland flipping properties. 

But also a huge amount of people got totally burnt by buying properties, by getting on the ladder.

You can sit and smile at me if you please, but I'm smiling twice back at you as had you bought your properties when everyone around me was buying theirs you'd be in a hole like them. I made the correct decision and thankfully convinced a couple of friends that it was bad idea buying a property in Dublin in 2005-2007 years when so many people were buying. 2 years in work and people were buying. 

What has happened in the years since makes me wonder, what if I was suckered into the whole thing and was stuck with a house worth half what I paid for it. What would my life be like, it'd be ruled by one bad decision. 

Fortunately things worked out very well for me, but I know people who it didn't go so well for and if I could have helped them I would. I wish I could have. 

You'll be voting Tory soon enough, mark my words.

As I've got older I've shifted from radical left winger to centre so it's not unthinkable ;)

Oh god that hurt to write. I'm never going to vote Tory. Not while they continue to discredit the public sector in the same way.

Still staggered by Risso's 50 grand roof. We're getting ours done too, and the cost is similar to Limpid's (it's a pretty big house and it'll cost us about £11 thousand - but that includes a dormer window being built). 

50 thousand. Wow. 

It was sort of factored into the purchase price.  But honestly, you wouldn't believe the price of building work over here.  There aren't many firms of builders, and so the good ones get away with charging the earth.  And you can't bring people over to work either, due to the work permit system.  If we lived in England it would cost a fraction of the price.  Our current house needed a complete rewire when we moved in.  The best quote we got was for £9K.  Ended up getting a relative to do it, it took him a week and cost about £1k worth of materials.

As someone that has made nice profits on the 2 previous houses I've owned I can only sit here and smile at you CV

Making a profit (especially in an inflationary environment...) does not necessarily make it a great investment...

First and foremost I bought the house to live in , for me renting is dead money and so I would never do it ....

That the houses gave me returns that bank accounts can only dream of was just an added bonus

Anyhow without wishing to appear to be bragging , I have a modest property that is mortgage free based on the profits from the previous homes and savings .... I wouldn't be in this position without the profits made on those previous houses that's for sure

• Like 1

You can sit and smile at me if you please, but I'm smiling twice back at you as had you bought your properties when everyone around me was buying theirs you'd be in a hole like them.

HAD being the important word

So I'm smiling back at you 3 times :)

So you're assuming superiority because you made money on property when they were going up, in the years of steady increases. You made no good judgement on your decision, simply benefited by the surrounding economy factors. I managed to do the more difficult thing in avoiding an oncoming property crash at the key times of when others were buying. I finished my masters in 2005 and started working. So please point out where and how in my time since then I could have emulated your property profits? Exactly.

I showed the better judgement in avoiding the property bubble. I have not given much thought to purchasing property and focussed more on using my youth to get a good well paying job either side of travelling the world, not to mention making sizable sums with my talents for betting.

You simply bought a house at a time when they were going up in value. I do indeed bow to your amazing investment skills and stunning judgement. I clearly should have bought a house  :rolleyes:

As I've got older I've shifted from radical left winger to centre so it's not unthinkable ;)

Oh god that hurt to write. I'm never going to vote Tory. Not while they continue to discredit the public sector in the same way.

I can just hear Tony cackling like Emperor Palpatine. Don't be seduced by the dark side of the force politics!

I've not assumed superiority so wind your neck in

For a baseless top rant though I'm smiling at you even more , the Cheshire Cat is about to lose his title for biggest recorded smile at this rate

I can just hear Tony cackling like Emperor Palpatine. Don't be seduced by the dark side of the force politics!

If anyone is the dark lord, it's Mandelson...

Tbf I look more like Jabba the Hutt

But you lefties all succumb in the end , apart from those that want Len McClusky as PM :)

If anyone is the dark lord, it's Mandelson...

Just when he thought he'd made a friend on holiday, you turn on him in that ugly way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35FOXZyB_Bk

Edited by villaajax

I would never vote Tory. I'd be a traitor to myself, my family and my class.

Ah so your ones of those that got brainwashed by dads rants at the dinner table against Thatcher :) was your family all miners or something ?

But jesting apart I've said before I don't even know how my brother , mum and dad even vote so in that regard I couldn't really ever be a traitor to my family

Most people buying homes do so at the wrong time and do so without putting in the right amount of thought into the magnitude of the decision they are making.

What a sweeping statement and one you've absolutely no way of supporting.

That might be true of people you know but it certainly isn't something you in a position to say "most people" do.

As for saying renting is better than buying, that rather depends on if you want to retire some day and not always be paying rent.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â