Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Multipacks of crisps - why don't they make them so that the individual packs inside are the same size as the loose packets you get in shops?  I just had a packet of Roysters and there were about 12 crisps in it, so now I'm going to have to have another packet which makes getting a multipack less of a good investment than I thought it would be.

Multipacks of crisps - why don't they make them so that the individual packs inside are the same size as the loose packets you get in shops?  I just had a packet of Roysters and there were about 12 crisps in it, so now I'm going to have to have another packet which makes getting a multipack less of a good investment than I thought it would be.

The bolded bit answers you're question very succinctly.

OK re- explanation, but it's not semantics. Those bolded statements completely contradict each other.

It is about semantics. It depends completely on one's definition of "public housing." I know people in other countries usually see public housing as relatively low-class rental housing. Also, Wikipedia defines public housing as "a form of housing in which the property is owned by a government authority."

The definition the Singapore government uses seems to be closer to "government-built housing." (similar to Merriam-Webster's definition) and all HDB apartments are either built directly by the government, or built by contractors on government contracts - these are not private enterprises. They are then sold directly from the government to buyers (who by law have to either be citizens or permanent residents), who will then be able to sell the apartments they now "own" to other people (at a substantially jacked up price, of course). After 99 years ownership reverts to the government, although we're a few decades away from that situation right now (most of the older housing projects will be sold and torn down before the time comes anyway).

I should also mention again that HDB apartments are subject to a lot of rules and regulations that do not apply in the fully private market. (for example, the citizen/PR law I mentioned above, and the law that no one individual can own more than one flat at any one time.)

As I said, public housing in Singapore is very different from public housing in most countries (with the possible exception of some Asian countries)

Edited by legov

they also use vastly inferior crisps in those multi packs as well  ....

Wat?

OK I understand you better now legov, and just to clarify I was never bringing 'class' into it (I know you didn't accuse me, but I wanted to make it clear anyhow).

Wat?

they have a "Gold Standard" crisp that goes into conventional bags and then they have a slightly lesser variety ( cheaper / inferior  potato , different oils etc) that go into the multi packs

Edited by tonyh29

The VT crisp consultant has spoken.

I see a massive whistleblower scandal erupting, with Tony having to seek asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy.

• Like 1

I see a massive whistleblower scandal erupting, with Tony having to seek asylum in the Ecuadorian embassy.

Or Moscow airport.

they have a "Gold Standard" crisp that goes into conventional bags and then they have a slightly lesser variety ( cheaper / inferior  potato , different oils etc) that go into the multi packs

tumblr_mmis34GJq91rpyx4so1_500.gif
  • Like 1

Wat?

:o  I feel cheated. My McCoy's will taste bitter this evening. This revelation is up there with the rotating blind person device at pedestrian crossings.

Better watch yourself, you might just find your next flight being rerouted to Austria.

Or Moscow airport.

he he

I have a friend there     ... when I left Moscow I gave my passport to the woman at Passport Control who looked at it , looked at me and threw it back at me and said nyet

I gave it back to her and we repeated the process about 15 times before she got bored and stamped my passport and let me leave

a reunion is long overdue ....

People buying houses.

Seriously. It's up there at the top of things that piss me off that shouldn't. 

The amount of people who buy or want to buy a house without any logical reason to. 

It drove me mad in Ireland when people would use the reason "property ladder". Idiotic reason as that was. It was the lack of proper thought that went with getting the biggest loan of your life. People spend plenty of time about thinking other less important things.

I think buying a house when you're settling down to have a family makes perfect sense. But the majority of the rest are bad decisions imo. 

In general, it's a better investment than putting your cash in a bank, nope?

It's a better investment than just paying rent.

Thirded.

If you can get the right mortgage on a sensible investment, then the costs of buying and renting aren't far apart. It makes little sense to pay someone elses mortgage for them if you can afford your own.

Indeed. My proposed mortgage is £504 per month for a 2 bed apartment in Four Oaks (albeit, after a sizeable deposit). I currently rent a 1 bed apartment for £520 in the same area. In 26 years or sooner that property will be mine. If renting then I will always have to find the monthly amount. I don't want to retire and have to worry about rent. That to me, is my main driver for buying. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â