Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I know, in a related theme people with familes that go on holiday to places like Haven in the UK because its 'cheaper' than going abroad. These places are just money, money money from start to finish. You might be able to get there quite cheaply but value for money is terrible.

Take the kids to Majorca and they'll happily play by the pool or beach all day long for free. They'll experience a flight, feel the sun on their backs and even get exposed to a little bit of foreign culture.

• Like 3

I've been to the same place in Ireland on holiday probably 50 times (literally)

But that actually IS cheap, and the majority of my extended family live in or around that area.

Not that I've had much choice in the matter until recently. I'd have much rather gone all over the world on holiday. But it's not so bad going to the same place.

People who go on holiday to the same place over and over again. My brother, his OH and 2 young children go to the exact same place in Devon twice every f**king year. It costs a fortune (he aint flush) and its where all his in-laws live so the majority of the time they're visiting family.

Bloody idiot.

I've always had the philosophy that the world is too big to visit the same place twice (unless you're Tony, in which case it becomes an inevitability). That was until I went to the Maldives, I'd happily go back there again a few more times because I'm not convinced I'd be able to find it's equal anywhere else.

That said, I'm sure I WOULD be able to find something better to do than visit the in-laws in Devon.

I was the same until I had two weeks at the Four Seasons in Sharm el-Sheik. I could happily go there every single year. Easily the best hotel/resort I have ever stayed in.

As stupid as it sounds, I just think that some people aren't confident enough in their own ability to find new and interesting places abroad. This summer, my in-laws are returning to exactly the same hotel in Turkey after visiting it a number of times in the past. It looks like a huge shit-tip, and there are many better & cheaper options across Europe, but because they are familiar with everything, then that's what wins their money.

I find it quite baffling, but each to their own I suppose.

My in-laws go to Corfu (same resort) every year. They don't even seem to have a good time. They go just because its easy I think. For me, the big part of being excited about a holiday is the 'unknowns' about food, local area, people etc.

Its a bit different at the moment as my children are 2.5 and 9months so I need to play things fairly safe (Spain, in a nutshell) but still I'm quite looking forward to going to a resort I've not been to before.

What excitement does my brother have to look forward to going to Devon for 2 weeks when he'd been at least 10 times before? A new ASDA?

I think the family thing makes going to the same thing valid.

That gives you a reason to go back to the same place. Especially if that place is abroad as it's probably the only time you get to see that family.

But I'm completely on board with being annoyed by people who go to the same resort abroad over and over. I don't doubt that they enjoy it. But I think they could get the same enjoyment out of going to a similar resort somewhere else.

I know what you mean Stevo. They (the in-laws) know, before they even leave that their holiday to Corfu is not going to be higher than a '6.5/7' if the weather is really good. Why not try something else and maybe come back raving about the place rather than their usual of "its still the same, weather was alright" which they do time after time.

I'm somewhere in between.

I'm (small c) conservative when it comes to countries - I have no desire at all to go to anywhere in the so-called third world. My comfort zone is basically the British Isles, Europe and North America.

On the other hand, within that restriction, I don't like going to the same place more than once. Same country, yes. Maybe even the same area. But not the exact same spot.

Beach/pool holidays bore me after one day - I'd far rather go somewhere less "package touristy" and with some culture/history to keep me interested.

And I don't like hotels much. "Full board" has no appeal - much prefer to rent a cottage/gite/villa and self-cater/eat in restaurants.

Yeah, that I can understand. Doesn't make much sense to me, that's just being afraid to step out of your comfort zone.

I'd sympathise if their whole family lived there. But obviously they don't, so it's a bit strange.

That being said, I'm about to head back to Majorca where I've been before. But that's more about the copious amounts of alcohol and slappers than anything else :D

Before the kiddies came along I was initially doing a lot of what Stevo is about to embark on and then when I settled down with the wife a lot of what Mike likes to do. With children though its a different kettle of fish and I know they'll have an awesome time in a very touristy beach resort. There is still no chance I'll take them to the same place over and over.

the large construction company i work for is run by the marketing department, if you're good at your job and just want to get on with it you'll get nowhere, no matter how shit you are at your job you'll fly up the ladder if you take part in corporate social responsilbilty or soem other buzzword bollocks

overlooked for an opportunity to work abroad because i turned down the chance to be on the student board, a mock board that invests the companies cash in charity events in an attempt to raise more money, i said i was too busy and would rather focus on getting good at my actual job, im pretty much doomed now

• Like 1

you are obviously a MON lover I personally hate him therefore you should be hung by the neck until dead (dem there be jokes, jus tryin to get da debate starteds in here init)

It's not actually like that at all. I mean no offence this time, but the standard of grammar and the language used is way in advance of your own.

It's just a shame it's populated by dorks who wouldn't know balanced debate if it nipped them on the ring piece.

So a bit like off topic then...

Going off on a bit of a tangent, it upsets me that (in terms of natural beauty atleast) the the world seems to get better as you get further away from the UK. It's like we're at the centre of geological black spot, and we influence everything around us according to how close it is to us.

Travelling around the UK is pretty meh, and any nice spots are blighted by cold weather.  -_-

European destinations are really all about culture, the beaches etc really aren't that nice in general, though there is some good mountain scenery. :mellow:

Things start getting better once you get to North Africa, the red sea is a definite jewel in the underwater world. ^_^

The Caribbean is lovely, with some amazing scenery, coupled with rainforests etc. :)

Indian Ocean is out of this world for beaches. :D

Then on the complete other side of the world you have natural meccas like Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, The Cook Islands, Galapagos Islands, Thailand.  :hooray:

This annoys me greatly, why can't we just have 1 paradise on our doorstep. 

Edited by Shillzz

As someone who finds hot weather uncomfortable, I disagree that "any (British) nice spots are blighted by cold weather".

I'd a million times rather be out in the Yorkshire Dales or the Lake District on a clear, crisp autumn day, than the Caribbean or the Indian Ocean (beautiful as they undoubtedly are).

Yeah I was going to quality my post with something along the lines of "According to my own list of travel priorities", but after yesterday's conversation about people needlessly using "IMO", I thought better of it.

We all see the world differently, and we'd all like to go to different places. It's just annoying that my list of destinations increase in desirability according to distance from the UK.

This annoys me greatly, why can't we just have 1 paradise on our doorstep. 

51NfRj23sYL._SY300_.jpg

probably the best strap line ever, 'for varied enjoyment'

Edited by chrisp65

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â