Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I actually know people who have genuinely never heard of The Beautiful South.

That rather cheers me up. 

While on music, I've done this one before, but it's been a while, so... 

Genres. Specifically, absurdly specific sub-sub-genres. You guys will know the current ones better than me, but trip-hop, old school, grindcore, math rock, etc. ad bloody infinitum. 

Even more specifically, genres made up for old music that was never any such thing. I'm talking about you, "freakbeat". And you, "prog". They never existed. 

Sure, there was "progressive", but it didn't just mean "long tracks, odd time signatures and mellotrons" (although that stuff was in there). It meant "not chart pop or dance music". Music made by dope-smoking longhairs for (possibly) dope-smoking longhairs. Music that your parents probably wouldn't like. No more, no less. 

The later Beatles were progessive. So were the blues bands like Fleetwood Mac. So were the likes of Fairport Convention. Even James **** Taylor ferchrissakes. 

It was all just rock, there was no need to restrict yourself to some daft fine-slicing. 

Ask some kid nowadays what music he likes and you can guarantee his answer will include hyphens. 

Edited by mjmooney

I don't think it's even "good or bad", as no-one can agree on that.

It's just "what you like, and what you don't like".

Well yeah . I meant to the individual listener. But genres and sub genres. I just listen to stuff, and like or meh or dislike without needing to pigeohole the stuff.

sweet pretty mutha **** country acid house music, by Alabama 3, a pop band, a punk rock blues and country techno situationist crypto Marxist Lenninist electro band

basically, a bit of everything, good to listen to, easy to dance to

agree totally, drop the stupid genres and smack anyone that tries to impose or grade any taste, music is music, you like some more than others, except Queen which is luke warm shit spatter

The lucky bastards.  The Beautiful South are one of the shittest bands of all time. 

• Like 1

The lucky bastards.  The Beautiful South are one of the shittest bands of all time.

I agree but you'd imagine people would know of them . A Housemartins song was playing in my office the other day when a customer said to me rather matter of factly that "Fatboy Slim sings this you know".I said it was actually Paul Heaton from TBS. He wouldn't have it and said that I had made up TBS to wind him up . How the **** can you know the housemartins , fatboy slim yt not know TBS. ?

Because every time a Housemartins song is on the TV or Radio the presenter is contractually obliged to point out the fact that Norman Cook played bass for them.  It might even be the law or something.   

I said it was actually Paul Heaton from TBS.

Shirley it ought to be Heaton from The Housemartins who is singing a Beautiful South track?

Don't anyone start having a go at the Housemartins, btw, else you'll incur my **** wrath.

Edited by snowychap

sorry did I just hear right?

they've closed the Sellafield waste nuclear fuel facility as a precaution because of snow?

should we have any form of nuclear waste facility that can't operate in fairly typical weather conditions, 5 cm's of snow and it's closed a nuclear facility

I know it'll be health and safety for workers potentially getting a slippy fall, don't care, you can't close a nuclear facility because of 5cm's of snow

this country is dying

"Don't blame me, I voted Labour"

It's probably them what put the health and safety rule in place :)

sorry did I just hear right?

they've closed the Sellafield waste nuclear fuel facility as a precaution because of snow?

should we have any form of nuclear waste facility that can't operate in fairly typical weather conditions, 5 cm's of snow and it's closed a nuclear facility

I know it'll be health and safety for workers potentially getting a slippy fall, don't care, you can't close a nuclear facility because of 5cm's of snow

this country is dying

"Don't blame me, I voted Labour"

It's probably them what put the health and safety rule in place :)

Well the Tories wouldn't be bothered about safety in the work place, manual labour is for the poor ;)

That's as maybe but the very mention of their name compels me to relate that I once sat next to them (well, Heaton and the girl singer) to watch the falconry display at London zoo.

I can't imagine any vt'er could beat that as a claim to fame.

That's as maybe but the very mention of their name compels me to relate that I once sat next to them (well, Heaton and the girl singer) to watch the falconry display at London zoo.

I can't imagine any vt'er could beat that as a claim to fame.

I once sat on a tube and found myself opposite Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks. I couldn't remember his name for the life of me, but knew who he was, so I said hi and asked him for a clue, his initials, or a choice of one from three.

He was actually remarkably nice about it, what with me being so pissed I even blanked on what I had previosuly told him was my fave song.

I said it was actually Paul Heaton from TBS.

Shirley it ought to be Heaton from The Housemartins who is singing a Beautiful South track?

Don't anyone start having a go at the Housemartins, btw, else you'll incur my **** wrath.

Housemartins? **** shite.

Sand Martins are awesome though

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â