Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

The Dutch? Why?

its really not so difficult in fairness

I remember arguing in a pub with a bloke who insisted Thierry Henry's surname should be pronounced the English way.

some people i know used to call him Terry Henry. now in ireland he is just called a cheating rocket polisher :P

I prefer the attempt to call things by their actual name. Sure translations sometimes makes it impossible but, I think it's generally much better to have a go rather than showing ignorance. Especially when you are away in a foreign country, the locals tend to really appreciate the effort.

But yea, my biggest gripe is people calling the Netherlands - Holland. It's not Holland!!

I prefer the attempt to call things by their actual name. Sure translations sometimes makes it impossible but, I think it's generally much better to have a go rather than showing ignorance. Especially when you are away in a foreign country, the locals tend to really appreciate the effort.

But yea, my biggest gripe is people calling the Netherlands - Holland. It's not Holland!!

I call it little germany myself ;)

There are only two things I can't stand in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures... and the Dutch.

The Dutch? Why?

Woosh. :)

Here ya go...

• Like 1

True story; my Dad (not the most eloquent of chaps when it comes to attempting a foreign language) was driving a truck through the Belgian border some years ago, and upon reaching the border guard thought he'd attempt to communicate in French (think Officer Crabtree in 'Allo 'Allo).  As the story goes, he got about 5 words off before the border guard stuck his hand up and exclaimed "Excuuuuse mee sir, but you are murdereeeeng my lawngweege."

Making an effort has proved advantageous to me in the past, upon flying to Orio al Serio airport and attempting to change up some coinage at the Bureau de Change, I insisted to the Italian woman behind the counter that I at least attempt (via the medium of phrasebook) to state my request in local tongue.  She thanked me for my efforts, and advised that I would get a much better rate at the nearby bank.  In hindsight, she was probably just trying to get rid of me.

Nijmegen: Nigh - may - gun or Nidge - me - jen?

Nigh-may-gun.  That's what we'd call it anyway, and the locals never complained so I assumed it was correct.

Edited by GarethRDR

Place names are a minefield. As Eames says, some are always Anglicised, some never, and some seem to vary.

Nijmegen: Nigh - may - gun or Nidge - me - jen? :)

The former.

So Curse you and your sensible arguements. :puke:

True story; my Dad (not the most eloquent of chaps when it comes to attempting a foreign language) was driving a truck through the Belgian border some years ago, and upon reaching the border guard thought he'd attempt to communicate in French (think Officer Crabtree in 'Allo 'Allo).  As the story goes, he got about 5 words off before the border guard stuck his hand up and exclaimed "Excuuuuse mee sir, but you are murdereeeeng my lawngweege."

Making an effort has proved advantageous to me in the past, upon flying to Orio al Serio airport and attempting to change up some coinage at the Bureau de Change, I insisted to the Italian woman behind the counter that I at least attempt (via the medium of phrasebook) to state my request in local tongue.  She thanked me for my efforts, and advised that I would get a much better rate at the nearby bank.  In hindsight, she was probably just trying to get rid of me.

Nijmegen: Nigh - may - gun or Nidge - me - jen?

Nigh-may-gun.  That's what we'd call it anyway, and the locals never complained so I assumed it was correct.

This speako the lingo trick works brilliantly.

On holidays in Egypt and Thailand the hotel staff have gone mad for a well places "SA-WOD-EE-CAR" or "SALARM-ALLEY-COOMBE" Instant better service and upgrade to a cabana. 8)

Probably my horribly outdated Local Authority version of IE - I have lost many many features that are available at home. That and a distinct absence of care" to tidy them up when I see them.

But the Dutch footie fans chant "Hup Holland"...

I'd have thought it would be rather like calling Great Britain "England".

The former.

So Curse you and your sensible arguements. :puke:

He he. I think the former is an anglicised pronunciation, though, rather than wot the locals would say.

I also guess that villaajax may be along to tell us how it ought to be pronounced (i.e. the g at the beginning of the last syllable's probably like the g at the start of Gogh?). :P

I'd guess a good rule of thumb should be trying to do justice both to the words one is using and the people who are listening (included in that should be not trying to demonstrate any kind of superiority because of being able to pronounce something in Welsh with the right amount of spit coming out of one's mouth - for example - and doing one's best to make communication effective).

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â