Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

that 90% of english speaking commentators call him Carzola instead of Cazorla. Its really irritating,

Wesley Schneider

Johan Croiff

:bang:

.... I don't understand the croiff one?!

Because it's not pronounced that way, I guess the closest you could say it with English pronunciation is with an 'ow' instead of an 'oi'. If you say Johan Croiff you might as well say Vincent van Go.

Would you pronounce it - Cr-how-ff? I always thought it was Cr-oi-ff! Oops!!

that 90% of english speaking commentators call him Carzola instead of Cazorla. Its really irritating,

Wesley Schneider

Johan Croiff

Because it's not pronounced that way, I guess the closest you could say it with English pronunciation is with an 'ow' instead of an 'oi'. If you say Johan Croiff you might as well say Vincent van Go.

Pretty much that way. Think of Dirk Kuyt, the English pronunciation is very close - 'Kowt', nobody says 'Koit'. The 'uy' makes the 'ow' sound.

Apply that to Cruyff and you'll be fine :thumb:

Wesley Schneider

Johan Croiff

Pretty much that way. Think of Dirk Kuyt, the English pronunciation is very close - 'Kowt', nobody says 'Koit'. The 'uy' makes the 'ow' sound.

Jee-wizz how is Kuyt actually pronounced then? Us Brits butcher foreign languages. I hate how ignorant we are. Bloody commentators can't even call people by their correct names!

Is it K-ow-t then? So 'uy' is always 'ow'?

Whilst we are talking about the Dutch etc, am I correct in saying that Holland isn't actually the country, but instead it is a part of the Netherlands - like Cornwall to England for example?

It annoys me when commentators refer to the national team as Holland!

Edited by Tayls

May have been said before but it's Brad Guzan, not Guzman.

De Guzman plays for another team. Do your **** homework commentators.

Edited by Ghost

Wesley Schneider

Johan Croiff

Jee-wizz how is Kuyt actually pronounced then? Us Brits butcher foreign languages. I hate how ignorant we are. Bloody commentators can't even call people by their correct names!

Whilst we are talking about the Dutch etc, am I correct in saying that Holland isn't actually the country, but instead it is a part of the Netherlands - like Cornwall to England for example?

Well, when I say the English pronunciation I'm just being a bit pedantic, the 'uy' (or 'uij' in Dutch) sound is minutely different really to the point where I can't explain how it differs at all! The 'English pronunciation' of Kuyt is perfectly fine. 'Croiff' isn't.

Skip

to 1.18 and listen to some pronunciations, Kuyt and Sneijder appear!

And you're right, Holland isn't the name of the country though there are two provinces in The Netherlands named Noord-Holland (North Holland) and Zuid-Holland (South Holland). Amsterdam is in the North and Rotterdam in the South. I'm not exactly sure how Holland came to be used in place of 'The Netherlands' in a lot of cases but it's so widely used I think it's just accepted, even in The Netherlands.

On pronunciations, I met a norwegian bird once on a night out.

Naturally I asked her if she liked John Carew, and got a blank look. She didn't know who I was talking about.

Eventually I managed to explain who he was

"Ohhhhhhhh" she said. "You mean 'Yunn Kahr-rev'. Yeah I know him, he's hot"

So yeah, that's how you pronounce John Carew.

So, villaajax, unless you have always pronounced John Carew as "Yunn Kahr-rev" then you can't have a go at us for saying Cruyff wrong ;)

Charities.

There, I said it. It really shouldn't piss me off, but sometimes they do.

Every day I have at least 1 flipping bag put through my door for any spare clothes. I don't know how much clothes they think I have, but I'm swamped by these things. How much material are they wasting by producing all these thousands of bags? I leave them outside in the hope that they'll pick it up and recycle them, but they very very rarely do.

I also have at least 1 guy per week knocking on the door asking for donations. That in itself doesn't annoy me, but there are 2 specific things that do.

1. the persistent ones. Most say thank you and move on when I say I'm not interested, some just keep trying to convince me

2. The ones that have an opening joke or bit that they do to try and grab me. Stop it, just tell me what you want! I've had more than one say "We're doing a parachute jump at Birmingham airport right now to rais emoney, do you want to come and do it?.......Just kidding, all we're after is £5 a month"

I think my record is three of those bags within half an hour - two for the same charity (delivered by different people).

If you check the small pritn, a lot of them are not charities - they are registered companies, who use the charity's logo as they give about 7p per ton of clothes to the charity, and keep the rest for themselves. If you want to donate clothes to charity, please take them to a charity shop!

Even if it is a genuine charity collection, if you fill the bag it's not uncommon for the other shysters to grab them while on their rounds.

Wesley Schneider

Johan Croiff

Well, when I say the English pronunciation I'm just being a bit pedantic, the 'uy' (or 'uij' in Dutch) sound is minutely different really to the point where I can't explain how it differs at all! The 'English pronunciation' of Kuyt is perfectly fine. 'Croiff' isn't.

Skip

to 1.18 and listen to some pronunciations, Kuyt and Sneijder appear!

And you're right, Holland isn't the name of the country though there are two provinces in The Netherlands named Noord-Holland (North Holland) and Zuid-Holland (South Holland). Amsterdam is in the North and Rotterdam in the South. I'm not exactly sure how Holland came to be used in place of 'The Netherlands' in a lot of cases but it's so widely used I think it's just accepted, even in The Netherlands.

I looove the rolling V.

(P.S. British people trying to pronounce Chinese words :P )

I'm actually pissed off by the exact opposite set of circumstances..... eg. English speakers trying to pronounce things the "foreign" way. Cruyff being a prime example. The anglicised version is Croiff, we are English speakers.... surely thats fine? What annoys me is newsreaders for example using local pronounciations for certain places and not others. eg. Bachhh-rain rather than Bar-rain, yet Paris not Par-ee. The quirks of different pronounciations are a corner stone of the British sense of humour. Who amongst us would not giggle at a Mandarin politician bemoaning his poor "erection results?"

• Like 1

I'd tend to agree with you there Eames, there's nothing worse than going to an Italian restaurant in the company of some smug clearing in the woods who pronounces everything like he was born and raised in Italy. **** off, you point at what you want on the menu and make a feeble / token attempt to pronounce it correctly, followed by a please. Because please makes everything OK.

Place names are a minefield. As Eames says, some are always Anglicised, some never, and some seem to vary.

Paris

Munich/Munchen

Rome/Roma, Florence/Firenza, Leghorn/Livorno

etc.

But Peking has become Beijing, Bombay has become Mumbai (so why isn't the film industry called "Mummywood"? Eh? Eh?)

Kabul has gone from K'BULL to KARble

Let's not even start on Łódź

Edited by mjmooney

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â