Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Yodel. Words removed.

Indeed. I deal with them on a regular basis and they are an absolute disgrace. I can't use another courier though as we have a company account , even though yodel are causing us to lose customers.

A bloke in the office earlier had to explain to someone over the phone what the area code of a phone number was. And really wasn't getting anywhere.

This will happen more and more as people come to use mobiles exclusively, and land lines become redundant.

Back on the bread thing. It was a real killer for me, not even for the extra empty pounds it puts on you but the general tiredness and lethargy that accompanied me through the day. I gave it up and now only eat, very occasionally, German rye bread.

That said, I'm still eating pasta and drinking beer. But I've noticed a real difference from the no-bread route.

Formed in 2010, so yeah, pretty new.

They make royal mail look like saints.

I booted out Citylink the other month as they were sinking rapidly ..... went with APC which is a uk network made of local courier firms , who I've been very impressed with and so far are proving that it is possible to run an efficient and reliable courier service .. The good thing is I'm putting money into a local company and I'm also big enough to them that they are hungry for my business , unlike citylink who ultimately just didn't care ... And APC are slightly cheaper :-)

Don't understand the carbohydrate thing. On the one hand it's supposed to make you tired and lethargic, on the other carb loading is recommended for distance running. WTF?

Doesn't seem to affect me much either way, but I couldn't imagine giving up bread.

Don't understand the carbohydrate thing. On the one hand it's supposed to make you tired and lethargic, on the other carb loading is recommended for distance running. WTF?

Doesn't seem to affect me much either way, but I couldn't imagine giving up bread.

It does give energy, which is why having none is bad. But you tend to have a crash after you "load" hence the tiredness

It depends on the types of carbs, and also the timescales involved.

You're not going to carb load on high-GI an hour before an event for example, you'd cripple your performance as they'd spike insulin and trigger reactive hypoglycemia.

Carb loading is generally done with either low-GI slow digesting carbs, or over a period of days before a long distance event (I think the "standard" for a marathon is 3 days of 70-80% of total calories by carbs) which gives plenty of time for the downsides to subside.

Basically it all comes down to insulin, the whole carb crash is down to the insulin response from blood sugar spiking, everyone should know that carbs get turned into glucose, which triggers insulin when the blood sugar levels rise. The problem with high carb eating is our bodies panic and release more insulin than is actually needed to deal with the level of glucose, so our blood supply is depleted of glucose as it's taken up as glycogen, so you get the typical low blood sugar symptoms of tiredness, headaches, etc.

Incidentally our bodies react to the post carb crash in exactly the same way as they do to hunger, as biologically it's the same thing, low blood sugar and no available energy (we can't release the energy that got taken up due to the insulin response as the presence of insulin prevents that). Which is why you always feel hungry not long after eating a Chinese, it's carb heavy.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â