Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

The blokes who drive Recycling Lorries. 

They could literally move about 3 foot which would allow traffic to flow past but no, I'll stop here and clog the road up, wearing my stupid sunglasses while it raining. 

Yes, it happened today. 

13 hours ago, T-Dog said:

Toblerones.

Love the taste, but the shape really pisses me off. But if they weren't that shape, would they still be a Toblerone? 

@tonyh29is going to hunt you down and ply you with shandy until you realise the error of your ways

It can’t be Toblerone unless it resembles Mont Blanc

20 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I get ads for 15 inch dildos. Bloody irritating 

You should complain to them. Make a real racket about it. 

They don't like it up em. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

There are a lot of people getting very rich off selling adverts that fit into the horse-stable door-bolted category.

That'll be mainly that Google. "We use our highly sophisticated and secret algorithms to work out who wants to buy your stuff, and only advertise to them! No wasted ad spend! Isn't that awesome? Give us lots of money"

Followed by 90% of ads targeted at the consumer are for stuff they've just bought.

Google know their product is shit, but there's no competition, so why spend money making it less shit when the money is going to roll in anyway?

As someone that never buys anything from ads, I use Brave browser which has all the features of your normal browser (#cough# chrome #cough#), except the ads. Got fed up with being out and about trying and failing to close some **** car/junk food bollocks advert video which is eating through my data allowance.

Edited by Anthony
Typo
  • Like 1

On 13/06/2024 at 11:42, Seat68 said:

I get ads for 15 inch dildos. Bloody irritating 

They're not going to make your hands better. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Seat68 said:

The UK honours system. 

Beckham is screwed for years now after Rod Stewart informed him in public that his would be imminent. He'll have to wait a few more years now😁

Edited by sidcow

23 hours ago, Anthony said:

That'll be mainly that Google. "We use our highly sophisticated and secret algorithms to work out who wants to buy your stuff, and only advertise to them! No wasted ad spend! Isn't that awesome? Give us lots of money"

Followed by 90% of ads targeted at the consumer are for stuff they've just bought.

Google know their product is shit, but there's no competition, so why spend money making it less shit when the money is going to roll in anyway?

As someone that never buys anything from ads, I use Brave browser which has all the features of your normal browser (#cough# chrome #cough#), except the ads. Got fed up with being out and about trying and failing to close some **** car/junk food bollocks advert video which is eating through my data allowance.

Also related… we use google voice to text and they keep messing with the algo.

If it fails to make a booking, that means people try again i.e. two lookups and two charges. Their model rewards them for failure. Yes it’s fractions of buttons but billions of fractions add up to a lot of money.

It’s insane to me that they are rewarded for failure

On 14/06/2024 at 10:52, Anthony said:

Google. "We use our highly sophisticated and secret algorithms to work out who wants to buy your stuff, and only advertise to them! No wasted ad spend! Isn't that awesome? Give us lots of money"

I’m not sure that’s reflective of the constraints. I mean if I want to buy a sofa, I search for a sofa, maybe several searches. Google will know that. What they won’t know is whether I bought one and nor should they. If I buy one from Amazon, say, Amazon will know and might recommend I also buy a chair, or cushions, or sofa cleaner, but google doesn’t and shouldn’t be able to record my actual buying activity.

I’m up in the grim North today , visiting Leeds University with my daughter

i should hate it … but don’t , the uni is nice , the people are nice and I’ve not seen one bath tub full of coal yet 

i must be getting mellow in old age 

edit - oh and Yorkshire flapjack company might have produced the best flapjack  ever  with their honey and nut one 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I’m up in the grim North today , visiting Leeds University with my daughter

i should hate it … but don’t , the uni is nice , the people are nice and I’ve not seen one bath tub full of coal yet 

i must be getting mellow in old age 

Sorry about the weather, but I assume it's the same all over the country today. 

I've been saying on here for years, there's not much wrong with Leeds except its horrible football club. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blandy said:

I’m not sure that’s reflective of the constraints. I mean if I want to buy a sofa, I search for a sofa, maybe several searches. Google will know that. What they won’t know is whether I bought one and nor should they. If I buy one from Amazon, say, Amazon will know and might recommend I also buy a chair, or cushions, or sofa cleaner, but google doesn’t and shouldn’t be able to record my actual buying activity.

I'm not sure. I've probably had the receipt sent to my Gmail and might have paid with Google Pay, so seems a fair chance they can know for a lot of people (although not everyone). 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Danwichmann said:

I'm not sure. I've probably had the receipt sent to my Gmail and might have paid with Google Pay, so seems a fair chance they can know for a lot of people (although not everyone). 

Fair comment. I barely use Google, normally, so had overlooked them reading your emails and your google pay history.

34 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Sorry about the weather, but I assume it's the same all over the country today. 

I've been saying on here for years, there's not much wrong with Leeds except its horrible football club. 

Yeah getting drenched walking around the campus ,  but small consolation was the hog roast for lunch at half the price it would be down South 

looks like the choice is between  Uni in Exeter or  Leeds at present

15 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Yeah getting drenched walking around the campus ,  but small consolation was the hog roast for lunch at half the price it would be down South 

looks like the choice is between  Uni in Exeter or  Leeds at present

Both good cities, both good universities. Leeds probably has more going for it in the way of entertainment, and is centrally placed on the motorway& rail networks if she wants to visit different parts of the country. Exeter (my wife's home town, so I know it quite well) is quieter, but would be nearer home for you, and has easy access to the south coast ports for trips to Europe. Nice choice to have, tbh. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

and has easy access to the south coast ports for trips to Europe. Nice choice to have, tbh. 

We didn't vote Brexit so people could have easy trip to "spits" Europe. 

• Haha 1

Probably won’t get a free Palestine March in Exeter either 

roads are all blocked up now and they are making a right old racket .. amusingly they are camped outside the Brotherton library , where we are currently having a long nose around … probably best I don’t go out with a shhh sign 

Edited by tonyh29

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Probably won’t get a free Palestine March in Exeter either 

roads are all blocked up now and they are making a right old racket 

You just took a wrong turn into Bradford :)

3 of my work colleagues had kids in Leeds Uni, and they all loved it. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â