Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

I think people are misunderstanding the issue. It's not that people don't like butter it's that they disagree it goes well on sandwiches. 

I do like the taste of butter. I think everyone who has said no butter has said they like to butter toast. 

What I don't like is when butter overpowers the sandwich and blends into a weird conglomerate of ingredients. 

If I'm eating a sandwich then I want to actually taste the main ingredients of the sandwich (i.e. ham, chicken etc) and not a weird blend of buttery ham. 

In my opinion that takes away from both the ham and the butter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, sidcow said:

A slice (well actually one of the small round mini pizza's) between 2 slices of (obviously buttered) bread.  The reason I was reminded of this was rather like a fishfinger sandwich or chip butty.  The joy really was in the excess better melting all of the the pizza.

It's an outrage, but there you are.

no but pizza toast is a thing here

take a big bowl, throw in a bag of grated cheese, chopped up ham or salami, then a veg whatever you want on there, pineapple (obviously) then pour in some cream, put it in the fridge for a few hours, then put it on "toast bread"* then under the grill

Pizzatoast - Welt Rezept

Brilliant after drink food

* which is a thing here - plain white bread is called toast bread and they eat it more or less exclusively for toasting, its also referred to as american bread

American Food According to Germany. - My Meena Life

because in general they don't eat sandwiches, they eat one slice of bread with toppings

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

take a big bowl, throw in a bag of grated cheese, chopped up ham or salami, then a veg whatever you want on there, pineapple (obviously) then pour in some cream, put it in the fridge for a few hours, then put it on "toast bread"* then under the grill

Pizzatoast - Welt Rezept

Brilliant after drink food

* which is a thing here - plain white bread is called toast bread and they eat it more or less exclusively for toasting, its also referred to as american bread

American Food According to Germany. - My Meena Life

because in general they don't eat sandwiches, they eat one slice of bread with toppings

Cream? you say cream? on bread? @blandy you are forgiven.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I bet all these no butter freaks also think Ryvita is fit for human consumption.

They can be.

"Mmmmm, 35 calories"

rice-cake-sandwich-sg.jpg

* I know that's technically a rice cake, but it still works.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Very different in my home. Just the three of us, and Mom considered it her bounden duty to feed her husband and only son with the very best she could afford. That meant lots of dull meat and two veg type meals, but that was what was apparently 'good for us'. And if I brought any friends round, she would feed them, even if it meant going without herself

It was very much the thing that "Mum" would always serve herself last and least in working-class households, in your mother's era, and this was accurately depicted in The Huggetts trilogy of films, with Kathleen Harrison playing the matriarch, who is shown to play the most powerful position in the family.

No doubt that this was an idealised depiction but it definitely indicates what was aspired to, at least, in the 1940s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Pizzatoast - Welt Rezept

That's just a Toast Topper ,staple food in the late 70's / 80's 

tt.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I used to take plain Ryvita to work for my lunch and I was amazed at how it freaked people out - they used to get amazingly annoyed.

The petty tyranny of conformity, what?

This is what its like to eat a tree (without butter)

I don't like butter, does make my ham sandwiches a bit dry but get used to it. Have to have it on toast though.

I think the biggest issue is when you go to a parry and they have a spread on, all I can have is the sausage rolls and quiche, which I only have if I'm starving.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â