Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 minute ago, bickster said:

trespass isn't generally a criminal offence

I'm not seeking to prosecute. I just found it cheeky, perhaps wrong, that a stranger felt it was okay to open my front door, lean inside my hallway and drop a delivery on the hallway floor. I accept the end result was similar to posting it through my letterbox but surely the done thing is to knock and wait for an answer. He'll have done it to save the 10 seconds it would have taken for me to answer and take the parcel from him. I'm not angry about it but it did feel like he'd invaded my personal home space.

Plus, on rare occasions, I'll pop to a neighbour or local shop without keys so not locking my front door, but I quickly activate my house alarm on my phone as I leave. Him opening the door could have triggered the house alarm.

24 minutes ago, bickster said:

trespass isn't generally a criminal offence

So I could LEGALLY go into someone's porch, drop a huge deuce on the floor and there's nothing they could do about it??!

BRB

Movie gif. An impressed Seann William Scott as Peppers from Old School points at a dart in the neck of a woozy man in the foreground. He exclaims: Text, "Yes! That is awesome."

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So I could LEGALLY go into someone's porch, drop a huge deuce on the floor and there's nothing they could do about it??!

BRB

Movie gif. An impressed Seann William Scott as Peppers from Old School points at a dart in the neck of a woozy man in the foreground. He exclaims: Text, "Yes! That is awesome."

There will be other laws that come into play but you could always set yourself up as a water company, they can dump shit anywhere

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 26/09/2023 at 16:24, bickster said:

A long time ago cab drivers used to put a gallon of petrol in and top up with diesel about once a week in winter, well before unleaded and all these woke petroleum products came along. I can't for the life of me remember why they did it though

Because when it gets really cold diesel thickens and is then much much harder to start the car. A little gasoline in with it thins it out and makes starting on cold mornings much easier.

The other way round - diesel in a petrol engine - I used to run a half pint or so of diesel through the carb of my old VWs every once in a while to clean out the jets - air filter off, start engine, trickle diesel into carb inlet and sit in a cloud of smoke while it went through and did its thing. Redex does the same (or aircraft OM-15 hydraulic oil! ).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brommy said:

Before reaching my hallway, I heard the Amazon delivery driver open my front door, chuck the box on the hallway floor and close the door

Was the door actually closed, but not locked (i.e. 'on the latch')? Bit cheeky, perhaps. 

I've had deliveries like that when our door was slightly ajar. Didn't mind that at all. 

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Because when it gets really cold diesel thickens and is then much much harder to start the car. A little gasoline in with it thins it out and makes starting on cold mornings much easier.

Wasn't that a trick used by the Soviets in WW2, which allowed their tanks to start, while the Nazis were immobile?

Just now, mjmooney said:

Was the door actually closed, but not locked (i.e. 'on the latch')? Bit cheeky, perhaps. 

I've had deliveries like that when our door was slightly ajar. Didn't mind that at all. 

Door was fully closed. It has a push down to open handle on both sides and needs a key to lock. There's no latch system. The handle lifts upwards to secure the door with the five point locking around the door frame which I always do as it pulls the door tightly to its frame and reduces any draught. It was windy yesterday so an unclosed door would have been wide open and the wind would be rattling my interior doors in my hallway. In any case, I heard the door handle and door locking mechanism move, heard the door open and then heard it slam shut. The delivery driver didn't even have the decency to lift the handle to seal the door shut again. Tut!

4 hours ago, brommy said:

Yesterday Amazon delivered a box just slightly too big for the letterbox. I saw the Amazon van pull up outside my house so I began moving from my living room to my hallway. Before reaching my hallway, I heard the Amazon delivery driver open my front door, chuck the box on the hallway floor and close the door. The van had driven off by the time I'd picked up the box and fully understood what had just happened.

At best I found it cheeky, at worst - isn't that trespass or entering private property without authorisation?

Why is your front door unlocked? 

2 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This one does piss me off and should piss me off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-66947040.amp

Yeah it pisses me off as well. Its been there 200 years and part for the landscape and is gone because one teenager thought it would funny or something. 

Its like the Crooked House pub being demolished. Its things that are part of local lore, and in a world of bland identikit areas, we should cherish the more quirky/special things. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Xela said:

Why is your front door unlocked? 

It's in a quiet cul-de-sac and I'd very likely hear if anyone came in. I've also got a camera that covers the front of the house. Obviously it gets locked if I'm asleep or otherwise engaged.

In the few years of that type of door/lock and the camera, I've never had anyone uninvited 'try' the door handle, let alone open the door.

Edited by brommy
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I bought my wife a narrow profile piano thing online for Xmas, but had it delivered to my retired parents house.

The delivery man left it propped up against the door, in plain view of the street and open to the elements (it was windy and a bit drizzly, so I got lucky). 

My dad was in at the time and there was a car on the drive. 

£350 just left outside a door.

Unbelievable. 

You should have known the delivery man would leave a piano outside. It's their forte. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â