Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Worth a mention @Chindie but letting your fuel tank run so low it cuts out is a great way to pull air into the system and ruin the car. 

Good to know. I'll have to hope it goes when I'm at high speed somewhere and put me out of my misery.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

Good to know. I'll have to hope it goes when I'm at high speed somewhere and put me out of my misery.

It would more likely to be spluttery as you accelerate as it intermittently doesn’t pump fuel in. I appreciate you trying to hold off till payday but it might be a false economy if its broken down 😞 

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I know nothing at all about cars and genuinely I have never heard of that. That's a comment on my ignorance and not on what you say. 

I think it is pretty rare tbh. Sometimes running out of fuel is unavailable, but if it can be avoided it should be as it can cause issues. It can make it run badly and needs a trip to the garage to have the air bled out of the system.

It's a 1l 2000 Lupo E. It's not exactly a finely tuned machine. It's windscreen wipers recently stopped working and cost about a quarter of the cars value to fix. It'll be alright with doing a couple of miles on low fuel.

9 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's a 1l 2000 Lupo E. It's not exactly a finely tuned machine. It's windscreen wipers recently stopped working and cost about a quarter of the cars value to fix. It'll be alright with doing a couple of miles on low fuel.

You said it was so low it cut out, so it would have pulled some air (and maybe sludge from the bottom of the tank) into the fuel system at that point. It’ll be fine, until it’s not any more.

Just now, Genie said:

You said it was so low it cut out, so it would have pulled some air (and maybe sludge from the bottom of the tank) into the fuel system at that point. It’ll be fine, until it’s not any more.

Cool. I'll go set fire to it now and sit in it. Save the hassle.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

As a top up. Like lager top, diesel top?

Yeah, or start with some petrol, remember its a diesel and switch at that point. Either works.

Most I’ve put in was a tenner, then filled to the top with diesel, and away we go.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

Yeah, or start with some petrol, remember its a diesel and switch at that point. Either works.

Most I’ve put in was a tenner, then filled to the top with diesel, and away we go.

A long time ago cab drivers used to put a gallon of petrol in and top up with diesel about once a week in winter, well before unleaded and all these woke petroleum products came along. I can't for the life of me remember why they did it though

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I did similar once, half asleep stuck a few litres of petrol into the diesel tank before realising. Same as you, I brimmed it with diesel after and it was fine.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I did similar once, half asleep stuck a few litres of petrol into the diesel tank before realising. Same as you, I brimmed it with diesel after and it was fine.

Yeah diesel in a petrol engine is much worse than the other way around I think

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â