Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

8 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

On your example of go complain to the council not on here, maybe they should go speak to a Councillor in the mental heath thread instead of posting there issues on her yeah?

What???? I firstly never said go complain to the council, quite the opposite and  as for not on here, I never said that either. I really have no idea what on earth you are talking about in this sentence

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

they seem to think that just because people rent out a second home, they think we are well off and have £700 upfront to give them straight up, no paying monthly, no notice to pay, needs to be paid today!!

Its a third home surely? And you've been talking about this every now and again for a while, so it's hardly the shock you are claiming. It was announced back in September 2022, so you've had 9 months notice since the schemes approval and a prior 6 months to that when the council made their decision and awaited Government approval for the scheme

1 hour ago, trekka said:

Trying to get a service charge refund I'm due is like getting blood out of a stone.

I first rang them in March after receiving a letter stating I'm due funds.  "Oh sorry, it looks like we've sent the letter out early.  Leave it with us, we'll process payment at the start of April".  Nothing appeared in April, so I rang them again at the start of May.  "Oh yes, I can see you're due a refund.  Please let me confirm your bank details" (reading it out to me).  "It will be processed in about 2 weeks".  Great, I thought.  Still nothing so I rang them again today.  "I'm sorry, it looks like the person dealing with your account has left.  Let me process it for you.  It can take 2 weeks".  Give me my £2K you gits! :bang: 

If they wanted £2k they'd be all over you like a starving dog over a plate of sausages. They'd be adding late payment fees if it wasn't paid by a certain date. 

Managing agencies are generally a bunch of words removed. My fault for buying leasehold, never again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

'Cooler' drinks, that coffee shops sell. Few squirts of syrup, tap water and a few ice cubes. £3.50 - £4.00 please. 

What a mark up!

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

What???? I firstly never said go complain to the council, quite the opposite and  as for not on here, I never said that either. I really have no idea what on earth you are talking about in this sentence

Its a third home surely? And you've been talking about this every now and again for a while, so it's hardly the shock you are claiming. It was announced back in September 2022, so you've had 9 months notice since the schemes approval and a prior 6 months to that when the council made their decision and awaited Government approval for the scheme

It's also only certain areas, which surely cannot be fair, as yet again the people with the money with proprties in the best areas do not have to pay. I'm basically paying for the slum landlords.

The best way would have been to contact these landlords, inspect there properties and fine them if required. A licence changes nothing apart from lines the pockets of skint councils. 

1 minute ago, Xela said:

'Cooler' drinks, that coffee shops sell. Few squirts of syrup, tap water and a few ice cubes. £3.50 - £4.00 please. 

What a mark up!

The coffee has just as much, not sure how much now, but a girl I know who used to be a buyer for one of the brands said it costed around12p a cup for a £3.50 coffee.

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

If they wanted £2k they'd be all over you like a starving dog over a plate of sausages. They'd be adding late payment fees if it wasn't paid by a certain date. 

Managing agencies are generally a bunch of words removed. My fault for buying leasehold, never again. 

This isn't even the managing agent.  It is the regional Housing Association who I pay rent to (as I'm on a part-buy, part-rent deal).  It beggars belief how they can be so inept. 

10 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

It's also only certain areas, which surely cannot be fair, as yet again the people with the money with proprties in the best areas do not have to pay. I'm basically paying for the slum landlords.

The best way would have been to contact these landlords, inspect there properties and fine them if required. A licence changes nothing apart from lines the pockets of skint councils. 

Firstly, the 25 wards (out of 69) were selected because they have over 20% of the housing stock in the hands of Private Landlords. One of your properties is in one of those areas.

It's safe to assume that the other wards will be included at a later date, they are targeting the most likely areas for problems first. I'd expect this to become nationwide law eventually

Secondly, they will inspect the properties, that's what the licence fee is for, to pay for the inspection regime. You can't send out inspectors that don't exist because the money to pay for the scheme hasn't come in yet. There is nothing unreasonable in that

As an aside, just wait until you need to enter a tax code from HMRC to qualify to hold a licence. That will be the next move. Already happened in my industry. 

My misuses. 

Regardless of the season, I always sleep on top of the quilt, I can’t sleep if I’m warm. The dragon is the complete opposite, she will never sleep naked, you know incase someone breaks into our house, or there is a fire and we have to run outside (like the neighbours seeing her tits would be our main concern in that scenario) 

Not only that, she has to have something covering her, so while I’m naked and lying on half the bed, she’s In her PJ’s with the quilt on the other half. 

I know this is maybe a rant for the weather thread, but she seriously pisses me off. Oh and it’s an argument to even open the fecking windows because “the flies get in”

I need a new a new GF  

The overhead signs on the M42. 

I get on at junction 10, twenty seconds later traffic is at a standstill. Takes almost 25 minutes to get to junction 9.

Overhead message boards helpfully telling us "caution, queue" or "slow down" or "40 MPH" (when we're not even doing 20) but not telling us why. 

Then just after junction 9 we see the problem; six plod cars, one lane blocked off out of two... ON THE OPPOSITE **** CARRIAGEWAY. 

No accidents on the southbound side at all. 

Bunch of pissminstrels. 

Edited by rjw63
Keenanism
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

while on the subject of coffee, the fact a flat white costs me more money than a latte, its the same drink but with LESS milk

Trendier. 

6 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

while on the subject of coffee, the fact a flat white costs me more money than a latte, its the same drink but with LESS milk

Coffee shops are a bit of a minefield on what you get. Potentially the latte might be 1 shot but the flat white 2. Similarly some places do 2 shots on everything unless requested so a large your just paying extra for little milk/water for a weaker coffee.

20 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

So what you’re doing there is exactly what Davkaus described. You are faced with a system where you can make a profit, and in making that profit you also conserve your own options and potentially help your kids live where they know, close to family. Completely logical for you to use the system in that way when that is the system.

That your profit is someone else’s expense, that doesn’t have to concern you. That your preserved option is someone else’s reduced option to live local by family, again that doesn’t have to concern you.

Bit of a piss poor system though. Homes before profit, one for everyone before three for someone.

I’m not expecting to win converts here btw, its just a bit of a personal code.

You have the second sentence completely backward.   I'm looking to preserve options and the only really feasible way of doing that happens to be one that likely results in some profit.  Suggesting that what I'm contemplating  is "participating in society in a way that I know to be actively harmful to others" is a pretty extreme interpretation and, frankly, a bit insulting.  The people who would be buying my house if I were to sell instead of renting (who I would be "actively harming) are people with significantly higher income than me because that's what it takes to buy houses here now.  Putting a few more rentals on the market wouldn't change that.  Besides, as @Rds1983 pointed out, some folks will always want or need to rent regardless of whether more homes were available for sale and costs slightly lower.  Like I said, not all rental situations are equal and not all are inherently bad for society.

Dair1OVU8AIO9Ct.jpg

5 hours ago, Xela said:

My fault for buying leasehold, never again

Same. I had a leasehold house years ago, 75% of people wouldn’t even come at look. I was really worried I’d be stuck with it.

In the end the person that bought it bought the lease at the same time.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

You have the second sentence completely backward.   I'm looking to preserve options and the only really feasible way of doing that happens to be one that likely results in some profit.  Suggesting that what I'm contemplating  is "participating in society in a way that I know to be actively harmful to others" is a pretty extreme interpretation and, frankly, a bit insulting.  The people who would be buying my house if I were to sell instead of renting (who I would be "actively harming) are people with significantly higher income than me because that's what it takes to buy houses here now.  Putting a few more rentals on the market wouldn't change that.  Besides, as @Rds1983 pointed out, some folks will always want or need to rent regardless of whether more homes were available for sale and costs slightly lower.  Like I said, not all rental situations are equal and not all are inherently bad for society.

Dair1OVU8AIO9Ct.jpg

spacer.png

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Why does it likely result in profit? That only happens if you work out your costs and then charge someone else more for the same thing. Profit isn’t some random  accident you couldn’t have predicted.

I mean, I hate to break this to you, but if you’ve installed yourself as a middle man and charged an add on for that, then you’ve cost someone else some money. I’m presuming there that you aren’t subsidising the rent? If you find that extreme and insulting I’m not sure what I can do about that? Me not saying it won’t make it go away.

You are right, a few more houses on the market wouldn’t reduce prices. But I haven’t suggested there are 5% too many middle men, I’ve suggested there are closer to 100% too many middle men. That its now expensive to buy a house, whilst there is a market that enables buying multiple houses and encouraging buy to rent appears not to have clicked as part of the same problem.

Yes, some folks will always want to rent, I can absolutely see the benefit of renting. My MIL rents, off the council. Can you see the added cost for people of installing a middle layer of profit seeking landlords?

You have the double benefit of a rental income, and, due to shortages in the market, a likely profit at the end should you choose to cash out. Those profits, surely you can’t deny they’ve correspondingly cost someone else more money? Fine if you’re selling jam or clocks, but your selling homes.

I can’t see what’s up for dispute there?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â