Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

So what you’re doing there is exactly what Davkaus described. You are faced with a system where you can make a profit, and in making that profit you also conserve your own options and potentially help your kids live where they know, close to family. Completely logical for you to use the system in that way when that is the system.

That your profit is someone else’s expense, that doesn’t have to concern you. That your preserved option is someone else’s reduced option to live local by family, again that doesn’t have to concern you.

Bit of a piss poor system though. Homes before profit, one for everyone before three for someone.

I’m not expecting to win converts here btw, its just a bit of a personal code.

I think we can all agree that the system sucks. 

There is no black and white, just a lot of grey, in a system that has a lot of problems and sadly way too many people enjoying/profiting from being way to close to the immoral end of the spectrum. 

2 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The original post that started all this involved questioning what it was for and moaning that it seemed like a con

And a subsequent demonstrated that he knew exactly what it was for

4 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

An individual always has the right (as long as they dont cross the line) to object to and question things that their council (or anyone does). 

There is a major problem when they don't.

That's basic democracy. 

Basic fallacy here is that this is an individual, it isn’t it’s a business. Businesses don’t take part in the democratic process, they don’t have a vote. The idea that they should is a sign of democracy failing

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

And a subsequent demonstrated that he knew exactly what it was for

Basic fallacy here is that this is an individual, it isn’t it’s a business. Businesses don’t take part in the democratic process, they don’t have a vote. The idea that they should is a sign of democracy failing

He suspected what it was for bit was still querying. Even if he did know he's still allowed to moan about it.

I'm pretty certain he's signed up to the forum as an individual and not as a business. 

He owns a business, but can still post as an individual.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Thing is, councils have to raise money, so it isn’t necessarily the case that they can ‘justify’ a charge directly.

We have an allotment, for years the council saw this as people tending a green lung in the middle of town and they saw it as a recreational facility and even a keep fit option. So they charged £35 p.a. for a plot. Then two years ago, covid, they realised people would pay more, which gave some slight compensation for the drop in income from car parking charges. It went from £35 to £65. 

This year, the council is on its arse and they’ve decided the allotments are £100 p.a.. Now, I’m a lucky boy so I’ll probably pay it. I won’t be sending tweets to councillors asking for the hypothecated spend breakdown. I’ll presume it goes in to the overall pot for the good of the community. That might include council wages that they will then spend in the shops down the road.

It goes on Boris’s legal bill

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

He suspected what it was for bit was still querying. Even if he did know he's still allowed to moan about it.

I'm pretty certain he's signed up to the forum as an individual and not as a business. 

He owns a business, but can still post as an individual.

What an odd response

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

It goes on Boris’s legal bill

I believe Westminster council levy allotment holders a fee of £5 specifically for blowing cocaine directly up Johnson’s arse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I believe Westminster council levy allotment holders a fee of £5 specifically for blowing cocaine directly up Johnson’s arse.

Nope, the £5 in Westminster is for the distribution of free copies of The Internationale song sheets to the masses these days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Why don't you expand on what is wrong or offer a counter point. 

I'd have thought it was obvious that being a member of this forum where nobody has stopped that person having an opinion, is irrelevant to the discussion.

44 minutes ago, bickster said:

I'd have thought it was obvious that being a member of this forum where nobody has stopped that person having an opinion, is irrelevant to the discussion.

You literally wrote that he shouldnt complain:

13 hours ago, bickster said:

I was just pointing out that if someone wants to have a business, then they really shouldn’t complain when they have to pay for a licence to operate that business. 

This conversation is veering into territory I'm not comfortable discussing as somebody might say something they regret.

As such I'm going to step back from this. 

I have no qualms with the forum or how it's run.

Edited by Rds1983
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

You literally wrote that he shouldnt complain:

You realise this is an internet forum and not the council? He shouldn't complain to the council. It would be like a pub landlord complaining to a magistrate (or the council) that he has to pay for his licence. Its going to fall on the deafest of deaf ears

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

You realise this is an internet forum and not the council? He shouldn't complain to the council. It would be like a pub landlord complaining to a magistrate (or the council) that he has to pay for his licence. Its going to fall on the deafest of deaf ears

Thank you for adding more detail as to what you meant with your previous posts.

Nevertheless as futile as it may be to complain to the council, he still has the right to complain to whoever he wants.

But again, I'm not going to engage in this any further as it might be mistaken for comments on moderation.

However, I'm sure the landlord at my local will be dying to hear all about it. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

I assume you knew the cost of running your taxi before you got into the business.

What if the cost of running it increased significantly via an additional licence/administrative charge? 

I’d assume you’d (as a minimum) ask what the charge was for. I think it’s a perfectly fair question for @foreveryoung to ask given it costs an additional £700.

Just now, Genie said:

I assume you knew the cost of running your taxi before you got into the business.

What if the cost of running it increased significantly via an additional licence/administrative charge? 

I’d assume you’d (as a minimum) ask what the charge was for. I think it’s a perfectly fair question for @foreveryoung to ask given it costs an additional £700.

It's happened many times in the last 30 years and no, my trade body / representatives do that.

For this licence in particular, it is an extra £140 per year minus the CGT write off, as a business expense its absolutely minor... less than £3 a week

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

as it might be mistaken for comments on moderation.

This is bizarre, absolutely nothing in this conversation has been posted in red text or could be considered to be anything other than my opinion. No moderation has taken place

Trying to get a service charge refund I'm due is like getting blood out of a stone.

I first rang them in March after receiving a letter stating I'm due funds.  "Oh sorry, it looks like we've sent the letter out early.  Leave it with us, we'll process payment at the start of April".  Nothing appeared in April, so I rang them again at the start of May.  "Oh yes, I can see you're due a refund.  Please let me confirm your bank details" (reading it out to me).  "It will be processed in about 2 weeks".  Great, I thought.  Still nothing so I rang them again today.  "I'm sorry, it looks like the person dealing with your account has left.  Let me process it for you.  It can take 2 weeks".  Give me my £2K you gits! :bang: 

Edited by trekka
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is bizarre, absolutely nothing in this conversation has been posted in red text or could be considered to be anything other than my opinion. No moderation has taken place

I've said I'm done talking about this subject. 

2 hours ago, bickster said:

You realise this is an internet forum and not the council? He shouldn't complain to the council. It would be like a pub landlord complaining to a magistrate (or the council) that he has to pay for his licence. Its going to fall on the deafest of deaf 

It pisses me off so I'm venting some negativity of the council, your fighting for the win that your right and everyone else is wrong, there's no winner its all opinions.

On your example of go complain to the council not on here, maybe they should go speak to a Councillor in the mental heath thread instead of posting there issues on her yeah?

To put things straight, my biggest gripes were that, no, its not clear exactly what its for, an the main one, they seem to think that just because people rent out a second home, they think we are well off and have £700 upfront to give them straight up, no paying monthly, no notice to pay, needs to be paid today!!

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â