Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Schindler's List literally put me to sleep in the cinema. The only film to ever manage that. So yeah, sometimes we don't fancy the classics :) 

Whereas I’ll sob like a little girl if I watch Schindler’s List. 

The adverts for joining the army:

1) The "voice talent" actress is meant to change her voice to adapt to the situation she's describing but it's basically monotone.  I've absolutely no idea how she got through the audition.  

2) This is the main thing that bugs me though.  All the Army seems to do is rescue people.  You wouldn't think they might ever be called upon to actually fight at all.  They make it sound more like International Rescue.

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Schindler's List literally put me to sleep in the cinema. The only film to ever manage that. So yeah, sometimes we don't fancy the classics :) 

There was a Seinfeld episode where he was seen making out during a showing of Schindler's List.

Edited by MakemineVanilla
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Sometimes I wish I still lived in a world in which I didn't know what "cleanse your timeline" meant.

I live in that world.  I've absolutely no idea what that means and why you wish you didn't. 👍

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

You wouldn't think they might ever be called upon to actually fight at all.  They make it sound more like International Rescue

Can't remember who did it, but there was a spoof recruiting ad back in the 70s that went something like - Join the army. Learn a trade. Travel the world. Meet interesting people. And kill them. 

13 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Can't remember who did it, but there was a spoof recruiting ad back in the 70s that went something like - Join the army. Learn a trade. Travel the world. Meet interesting people. And kill them. 

I seem to remember that there is a line in Heller's Catch-22 about dropping bombs on friendly natives waving to you from the ground.

Most would certainly change there mind on looking after prisoners with books, pool table etc, if you had a close family member raped or murdered, so I think we should cut the bullshit on prisoners rights, they should have some admitted, but it should certainly be the sort of place you would think twice of before re-offending, which at the moment it isn't.

As for young offenders, doing car crime, robbing houses, threatening your mom with a knife, its a walk in the park in there, they are all pals, most of them don't mind going in there, it's just a inconvenience, part of the graft, I have this on first hand knowledge.

9 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Most would certainly change there mind on looking after prisoners with books, pool table etc, if you had a close family member raped or murdered

Absolutely. I'd want them tarred and feathered and to have their bollocks removed with blunt knives. This is one of the key reasons that judges and juries are impartial, and not the victim's family.

so I think we should cut the bullshit on prisoners rights

What bullshit about "rights"? Most people are more concerned with the practicalities.

Case in point, there's a prison on Bastoy island in Norway, it's been criticised for being too "luxurious" and is one of the "nicest" prisons in europe, and houses people who have committed serious crimes. It also has the lowest reoffending rate in europe, by a considerable distance.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Absolutely. I'd want them tarred and feathered and to have their bollocks removed with blunt knives. This is one of the key reasons that judges and juries are impartial, and not the victim's family.

What bullshit about "rights"? Most people are more concerned with the practicalities.

Case in point, there's a prison on Bastoy island in Norway, it's been criticised for being too "luxurious" and is one of the "nicest" prisons in europe, and houses people who have committed serious crimes. It also has the lowest reoffending rate in europe, by a considerable distance.

I'm sure we are not hearing everything about that prison, like the rehabilitation methods, no one is gonna learn if it's to nice. To be fair it's more youth offending that needs to be sorted, most hard criminals do the time anyway.

6 hours ago, PussEKatt said:

The reason I feel like this is because when I was an Angel I spent time in a boys home.I was NOT rehabilitated,the reason I went streight from then on is because there is NO WAY I was going to experiance something like that ever again,and thats the way I think it should be now.

There's a whole area of jurisprudence that looks into this and the different ideas behind sentencing criminals with one being purposefully trying to not only deter repeat offences but make people afraid to do the crime in the first place (like the death penalty). Was a fascinating study and one of my favourite areas on my degree but sadly no real right answer (just crime law vs morality - another favourite study).

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Got a tax code letter for next year, it says because I owe £519 tax from a previous year they're reducing my tax allowance by £2596 so they can take the £519 in equal instalments.  How the **** does that work?  

Is the question about the two different numbers? The tax allowance is how much of your pre-tax income is taxed, so on that £2596 PA reduction, you'll pay 20%: £519.

If the question is more about why it was so wrong...Didn't you move jobs recently? That can balls things up.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Is the question about the two different numbers? The tax allowance is how much of your pre-tax income is taxed, so on that £2596 PA reduction, you'll pay 20%: £519.

If the question is more about why it was so wrong...Didn't you move jobs recently? That can balls things up.

See I'd consider myself quite good at maths but I get so confused by this sort of thing.  So I'm only going to lose £519?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

See I'd consider myself quite good at maths but I get so confused by this sort of thing.  So I'm only going to lose £519?

Yes, they’re reducing the amount you earn before paying any tax by £2596 so that you pay £519 more tax over the year.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Got a tax code letter for next year, it says because I owe £519 tax from a previous year they're reducing my tax allowance by £2596 so they can take the £519 in equal instalments.  How the **** does that work?  

I got one too for £216

But as they were already doing this to me I was hardly shocked by it, it's about £4 a week in my case

Work continued to pay us the £6 WFH thing way beyond when it ran out so I'm effectively paying that back

• Like 1

Just now, sharkyvilla said:

Yeah, 100%. Our standard personal tax allowance is £12,570 - what that means is that is the amount you can earn without paying any income tax at all. When you earn above 12,570, you'll pay 20% (up to the next bracket at 50k) on the amount above 12,570. So at an income of £12,575 you'd pay £1 income tax.

To recoup your underpaid tax they're putting your personal allowance down to £9,974, so that's the amount at which you'll start to pay tax.

To compare, say you earn 25k a year.

At the standard allowance, you'd pay 20% on 12430 (25k-12570) = 2486 in tax

At your new allowance, you'll pay 20% on 15026 (25k - 9974) = 3005, or a £519 difference

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Yeah, 100%. Our standard personal tax allowance is £12,570 - what that means is that is the amount you can earn without paying any income tax at all. When you earn above 12,570, you'll pay 20% (up to the next bracket at 50k) on the amount above 12,570. So at an income of £12,575 you'd pay £1 income tax.

To recoup your underpaid tax they're putting your personal allowance down to £9,974, so that's the amount at which you'll start to pay tax.

To compare, say you earn 25k a year.

At the standard allowance, you'd pay 20% on 12430 (25k-12570) = 2486 in tax

At your new allowance, you'll pay 20% on 15026 (25k - 9974) = 3005, or a £519 difference

I think I understand now.  Cheers guys, saves me a shitty phone call where I'd end up feeling like an idiot at the end of it.  I did change jobs recently and put on an emergency tax code and earnt quite a lot more, I guess this is catching up.  Still sucks balls.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â