Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's weird how it catches on for some of even our own players but not others. Ollie yes. Danny, absolutely not. Both of the Emis, yes, Lucas, Ezri or Jacob, nope.

But the media don't call them Ollie or Emi. Yet they pundits will talk about Harry and Pep all day long as the bias towards the richer clubs and their players continues. That's why I hate it.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

Some names lend themselves to it more than others.

I’m not completely unsympathetic to the criticism. For a couple of years recently we had a blathering dunce PM who the media and people insisted on calling by his first name* seemingly to make him appear more friendly and relatable (and still do). They don’t seem to do that with other politicians. Certainly nowhere near to the same extent anyway.

*Actually, his second name.

Edited by Mark Albrighton
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

But the media don't call them Ollie or Emi. Yet they pundits will talk about Harry and Pep all day long as the bias towards the richer clubs and their players continues. That's why I hate it.

This is really strange. It’s nothing to do with big club bias. 

Big Sam was called that while he managed Bolton. Same with “Harry” Redknapp. 

Some names just stick, especially when they have a long surname like Allardyce or Guardiola. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

I’m not sure comparing the England captain and one of the greatest managers of all time with Ollie Watkins supports your argument really. He’s just a lower profile person in the game.

Emi Martinez has had loads of media coverage since the WC, often referring to him as Dibu.

In France they talk about him every day 🤗

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

This is really strange. It’s nothing to do with big club bias. 

Big Sam was called that while he managed Bolton. Same with “Harry” Redknapp. 

Some names just stick, especially when they have a long surname like Allardyce or Guardiola. 

It's in the thread called things that piss you off that shouldn't so you don't need to get down my throat on everything I post. It's got everything to do with big club bias when they call Man City, City and not Leicester. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's in the thread called things that piss you off that shouldn't so you don't need to get down my throat on everything I post. It's got everything to do with big club bias when they call Man City, City and not Leicester. 

Man City have always been called City, even when they were shit. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

It's got everything to do with big club bias when they call Man City, City and not Leicester 

Why would they call Man City 'Leicester'?  

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Ha. I mean they call Man City, "City" but they don't call Leicester City "City"

Man City have been called City for a very long time and most of that time they we’re utterly shit and not a “big” club.

Think about it like this, small heath aren’t called city are they? And I'd rather keep it that way

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Genie said:

I think it’s laziness because of his long surname, same for Pep.

Well, I get that but they don’t call Oxlade-Chamberlain ‘Alex’ do they? Or van Nistelrooy ‘Ruud’

I don’t get it and when I hear it coming out of Carraghers putrid mouth in particular it really winds me up 

7 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well, I get that but they don’t call Oxlade-Chamberlain ‘Alex’ do they? Or van Nistelrooy ‘Ruud’

They usually refer to him as The Ox. Also, Alex is a fairly common name. There’s only 1 Pep and Trent.

2 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

This is literally the first time I’ve ever replied to you 😂

Yeah that does come down to big club bias. But not the name thing. Otherwise we’d all be calling Klopp “Jurgen” and Potter “Graham”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

when I hear it coming out of Carraghers putrid mouth in particular it really winds me up 

Ahhhh. Now I think we're getting to the nub of this and a point where we can all agree. 

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â