Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

My phone constantly reverts to 1 minute screen fades and adaptive brightness.

I reset it to adaptive off and 30 minute screen fade but it always reverts back.

I don't know how to fix it.

mobile-break.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I think back in the day (pre-1980s maybe?) it wasn't as class coded in British English as it is now. Nowadays you'd probably only hear it from a Boris Johnson type.

nah, definitely a rugby area thing, that isn't always a posh thing. South Wales valleys for instance

Its not really a class thing its a differentiation between two sports thing. Where rugby is still popular the term soccer is often heard.

5 minutes ago, bickster said:

nah, definitely a rugby area thing, that isn't always a posh thing. South Wales valleys for instance

Yes in Ireland / Wales / South Africa / Australia I think that's right, and probably some parts of England/Scotland. But I believe I'm right in saying that there was a time in England/Scotland where it was a common alternative in all regions for "football" among all classes, including in non-rugby areas, with no negative connotations.

In most of England, now, if you say "soccer" it's posh / derogatory.

Edited by KentVillan

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Yes in Ireland / Wales / South Africa / Australia I think that's right, and probably some parts of England/Scotland. But I believe I'm right in saying that there was a time in England/Scotland where it was a common alternative in all regions for "football" among all classes, including in non-rugby areas, with no negative connotations.

Yes and no, the ITV highlights programme on ATV/Central on a Sunday lunch time was called Star Soccer, then there was the Soccer Six tournament and that ran into the 90s (but lets not talk about that because sha were the only team to win in twice) but even today Soccer Aid the charity match is still a thing

Its not as commonly used these days but I suspect that it started to fall out of use when the US started taking an interest in the game more seriously and UK football fans began taking the piss out of their ludicrous commentators. It's not a UK class thing its a "Oh do f*** off, yanks don't understand the game" thing

14 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I said I lived there for 12 years @Demitri_C… and I never owned a car while I lived in London. How’s it an outside view?

To give you an example, my friend lives with her two children in Ealing, which is outer London surely? She recently sold her car and does without.

And as I said, nobody is getting banned from having a car.

I can understand some people might have specific circumstances that require a car in London, but for the vast majority it’s just laziness or narrow mindedness - or they just really like having a car. To make out it’s some kind of life or death situation that the mayor is meddling with… is nonsense.

So you dont live in london i would love to see if your opinion was still the same if you lived here mate. But dont worry im sure they will extend it all over the country at somw point to hit people hard.

Funny you mention ealing Broadway i was in alperton yesterday visiting a mate got the tube up there as its quite far from me. On way back at 8pm the whole picadilly line (both directions) was suspended due to "leaves on the track" so my mate said ok i can drop at perivale which is central line. (This way means 3 trains instead of one i can live with that as long as i can get home) central line had severe delays waited 40 mins there, then at oxford circus severe delays on Victoria line so more waiting around. Couldnt use over ground because of strikes and no trains. The whole journey took me almost 4 hrs to get home. I can fly to Cyprus in that time!

My point is if you want to encourage people to use public transport its got to be reliable, bigger like the elizabeth line and more cost efficient.  When i went stockholm i thought their ubder ground system and over grounds were fantastic. 

You (khan)forcing people to buy newer cars in a cost in loving crisis is absolutely unforgivable just like all the tax rises the Conservative are implementing eg council tax. 

The laziness is ridiculous point mate sorry but it is

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Funny you mention ealing Broadway i was in alperton yesterday visiting a mate got the tube up there as its quite far from me. On way back at 8pm the whole picadilly line (both directions) was suspended due to "leaves on the track" so my mate said ok i can drop at perivale which is central line. (This way means 3 trains instead of one i can live with that as long as i can get home) central line had severe delays waited 40 mins there, then at oxford circus severe delays on Victoria line so more waiting around. Couldnt use over ground because of strikes and no trains. The whole journey took me almost 4 hrs to get home. I can fly to Cyprus in that time!

See, thats a bad day on London transport, it's a typical day with TransPennine Express / Northern Rail / Avanti. You don't realise what it's like outside London

TransPennine Express have even invented a new term, pre-cancelled, for the trains they cancel the day before

• Like 3

Just now, bickster said:

See, thats a bad day on London transport, it's a typical day with TransPennine Express / Northern Rail / Avanti. You don't realise what it's like outside London

TransPennine Express have even invented a new term, pre-cancelled, for the trains they cancel the day before

Yeah i appreciate i cant compare that northern services what do you pay for using the service there?

But the seevice bicks compared to what it use to be has really gone to shit the last few years. I dont mind paying more if the service was better but it isnt uts getting worse. 

The elizabeth line is fantastic though i will say that

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah i appreciate i cant compare that northern services what do you pay for using the service there?

A lot more than you. The rest of the country subsidises London's public transport

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bickster said:

A lot more than you. The rest of the country subsidises London's public transport

But isnt that the same with most things. Our tax goes to helping all over the country?

So you pay more than £14.40 ? As thats what i usually have to pay as im zone 6 alot and im going to zone 1 alot 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But isnt that the same with most things. Our tax goes to helping all over the country?

So you pay more than £14.40 ? As thats what i usually have to pay as im zone 6 alot and im going to zone 1 alot 

No thats not what I'm talking about

Your bus fares for example, in 2019, were subsidised from the public purse by £700 million. That doesn't happen elsewhere. Our taxes subsidise your public transport

21 minutes ago, bickster said:

No thats not what I'm talking about

Your bus fares for example, in 2019, were subsidised from the public purse by £700 million. That doesn't happen elsewhere. Our taxes subsidise your public transport

But don't forget the commuters cost is massively going to it too.

So everyone's paying and if you go london you using it most likely because of the cost to get arpund london now with congestion charge ulez petrol parking etc

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But don't forget the commuters cost is massively going to it too.

So everyone's paying and if you go london you using it most likely because of the cost to get arpund london now with congestion charge ulez petrol parking etc

Commuters exiist everywhere not just London

ULEZ are coming into force across the country very soon and in a more ludicrous manner than in London. The Manchester one, is going to be the whole of Greater Manchester, the entire combined authority. Drive a car that day - pay! In Liverpool its even sillier, they aren't doing it as combined authority, they are doing it per council. On one journey I could go through three of them and have to pay three times. I could easily go from Crosby to Birkenhead and have to pay three charges in 10 miles (plus a toll). Even sillier is the one in my Local Authority, you couldn't make this up, there will be three zones. Two right outside the dock gates, you know, the docks that have just been expanded so they can get the largest ships in the world in, that run on Diesel and pollute far more than cars and the other just up the hill from... The docks. Even funnier, private cars will be exempt but buses and taxis will have to pay.

The rest of the country is as usual more f***ed than London. Our busses are massively shit. we're still waiting for our new trains, which hilariously will mean a reduction in services (from 4 an hour to 3)

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Commuters exiist everywhere not just London

ULEZ are coming into force across the country very soon and in a more ludicrous manner than in London. The Manchester one, is going to be the whole of Greater Manchester, the entire combined authority. Drive a car that day - pay! In Liverpool its even sillier, they aren't doing it as combined authority, they are doing it per council. On one journey I could go through three of them and have to pay three times. I could easily go from Crosby to Birkenhead and have to pay three charges in 10 miles (plus a toll). Even sillier is the one in my Local Authority, you couldn't make this up, there will be three zones. Two right outside the dock gates, you know, the docks that have just been expanded so they can get the largest ships in the world in, that run on Diesel and pollute far more than cars and the other just up the hill from... The docks. Even funnier, private cars will be exempt but buses and taxis will have to pay.

The rest of the country is as usual more f***ed than London. Our busses are massively shit. we're still waiting for our new trains, which hilariously will mean a reduction in services (from 4 an hour to 3)

Didnt say the country wasnt more **** than london you did. Im just highlighting a point you raised.

With your point about ulez blame khan for that stupid idea it was him that came up with it in london and ignored all the residents who opposed it. As usual we are the guniea pigs until these morons start implementing it nation wide.  

Its our fault we let them get away with them ripping us off. All we do is have a moan on social media or a forum like this and these mps probably laughing at us and thats not going to stop them from implementing these stupid ideas that completely **** people over who are already struggling. 

You watch bicks soon the year of the car will gradually get newer and newer cars that fall into the non compliant ulez catergory. It will go from 10 years then 7 then 5 etc.  If thw fee was like 1 or 2 pounds fine people can deal with that but **** £12.50 a day??

If your gonna implement something like this help people buy newer cars. Im sure everyone would want a newer car if they can afford it

On 25/11/2022 at 23:31, Seat68 said:

Will never ever understand the type of people that do this. It’s someone’s property and for mild inconvenience it’s deemed necessary to damage it. Will never understand why people do this. 

I will tell you why I did it.I walk every day and this dipstick parks his car right across the footpath,so I have 2 choices,walk onto the road to get past his car ( its a very busy road ) or turn back.I should also mention that this guy parks like this ( or used to ) and his carport was empty every time.I dont like to do something like this but the way I see it is risk get run over or get him to park in his empty carport.

My theory is that Dem's in a different dimension, that's like ours but different. 

Like that episode of Star Trek where the federation is brutal and evil.

Star-Trek-Mirror-Mirror-2-3893988232.jpg.b81f02ced67eae110f8cffaef66c486c.jpg

Somehow his internet connection crosses between realities.

• Haha 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â