Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

5 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

Last time I did a speed awareness course

My favourite from my last SAC was the person taking the course telling me If I'm doing 20 MPH I should be in second gear

I just asked him which ancient gearbox he was basing that on, no answer

• Like 2

I recently got caught for speeding doing 33 in a 30 believe it or not in Chippenham!! I was early so thought I'd go a scenic route off the motorway to Oxford. Trouble is in some of these little villages speeds go from 60mph to 30mph in an instant. I'm generally not a speeder, I do around 30k miles a year, so has proper ***** me off. I know exactly where it was, an I'm in a electric car at the moment, so was letting the regenerative braking slow me down to 30mph. I saw a couple of oap community crew with a high viz jackets on, one with a camera, just thought they were monitoring speeds as they were about 20 meters from where the 30mph zone started, pretty sneaky really. Unless I slammed the brakes on, its pretty hard to quickly go from to 60mph to 30mph. Luckily got a SAC, but last time I did one the guy asked me how I rate my driving? Being that I've done a bit of karting and a few track days I said "I can hold my own". He replied with, that's what everyone thinks, I will take it your an average driver like most on the road, which is why you have been caught for speeding. Unfortunately it went downhill from there, he hurt my feelings. 😂

50 minutes ago, bickster said:

My flabber has never been so ghasted

Believe in these places, i.e Oxford/Gloucester they don't generally offer SACs, they just give you the 3 points, an whack the £100 fine straight on their budget, I'm evidence of it, that time I missed my turning and blatted it back up the road, to this day I'm not sure where the camera was, I reckon it was some dude jumping out the bushes.

33 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Believe in these places, i.e Oxford/Gloucester they don't generally offer SACs, they just give you the 3 points, an whack the £100 fine straight on their budget, I'm evidence of it, that time I missed my turning and blatted it back up the road, to this day I'm not sure where the camera was, I reckon it was some dude jumping out the bushes.

It’s weird how different parts of the country treat speeding so differently. In London they’re brutal on weird traffic violations like getting stuck in a box junction, or swinging into a bus lane to let an ambulance past. But you can drive around the M25 at 100mph with no problems.

North Yorkshire police love setting up speed traps and make a fortune from it. Down in Kent you barely ever see police doing that. Had similar experience in North Wales recently, could just bomb around as you wanted.

It’s just all so weird and I don’t understand who sets the policies and why some places are so relaxed about it when others obviously treat it as a cash cow.

And not saying it’s necessarily a bad thing, speeding is often dangerous, especially in residential areas. But the inconsistency is what catches people out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

I saw a couple of oap community crew with a high viz jackets on, one with a camera, just thought they were monitoring speeds as they were about 20 meters from where the 30mph zone started, pretty sneaky really. Unless I slammed the brakes on, its pretty hard to quickly go from to 60mph to 30mph.

I didn't think community speed watch volunteers can prosecute? Surely the camera needs to be operated by the police?

• Like 1

I’ve only ever been caught speeding once and that was in Germany. I was over there doing my induction for my new job and got caught speeding in a pool car. Great first impression :lol: 

The sneaky buggers over there hide them in bushes and stuff, none of this painting them yellow and telling you there’s a speed camera coming up.

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

North Yorkshire police love setting up speed traps and make a fortune from it. Down in Kent you barely ever see police doing that. Had similar experience in North Wales recently, could just bomb around as you wanted.

North Wales? Zero tolerance North Wales? You were lucky. North Wales has a bit of a reputation 

When you’ve got the gym to yourself and can play your own music out loud without feeling self-conscious, and someone else comes in and spoils it. I hope they fall off the treadmill and go into coma.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

I was in the gym before, fell off the treadmill, banged my head and knocked myself out. The other bloke in the gym just carried on working on his gluteus maximus

…listening to Taylor Swift

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

…listening to Taylor Swift

Nah, don’t be silly. 

Spoiler

(She’s on a different playlist.) 

Spoiler

(Which I could have easily put on too.) 

Spoiler

(This is all 100% true.) 

You know me All Too Well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

North Wales? Zero tolerance North Wales? You were lucky. North Wales has a bit of a reputation 

Was in Snowdonia or whatever it’s called now. There was barely anyone around, let alone police. Think you’re right though the main roads are stacked with speed cameras… you probably know a lot more than me being where you are!

On 18/11/2022 at 17:53, bickster said:

My favourite from my last SAC was the person taking the course telling me If I'm doing 20 MPH I should be in second gear

I just asked him which ancient gearbox he was basing that on, no answer

I bet you were an absolute **** nightmare on that course

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This is an odd flex from a professional driver :D 

The profession driver line always amuses me. It’s usually policemen that use it. It’s nonsense

But 6 of those 9 points were for not responding to a NIP that never actually arrived :D 

4 hours ago, Xela said:

I didn't think community speed watch volunteers can prosecute? Surely the camera needs to be operated by the police?

This is what I thought, didn't even dream I woukd receive a summons. I did want to go to court with it, but just prolongs the process and costs more if you lose, which will probably be likely.

9 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

This is what I thought, didn't even dream I woukd receive a summons. I did want to go to court with it, but just prolongs the process and costs more if you lose, which will probably be likely.

As someone who used to live in a Village in Chippenham, where they would often have someone doing it. I would have confidently said you couldn't actually get penalised from one of the community speed checks, it's just a telling off letter. Looks like since I moved a couple of years ago Wiltshire police now have Civilian speed enforcement officers that can go out with the community watch people, who still can't issue fines but these civilian officers with different equipment can.

Edited by AlwaysAVFC
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â