Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

19 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

So is that just how ebay is done then?  Nobody bothers with the auction and they just make offers?

I think so. When I'm looking for something on there I'm only looking at "Buy it Now" stuff, just haven't the time for bidding even though I might get a bargain.

I don't make best offers, I'd rather know the price up front and pay that price without haggling over a couple of quid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

So is that just how ebay is done then?  Nobody bothers with the auction and they just make offers?

You're dealing with the general public. Most of them are words removed / dreamers / thick

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

paging @Xela (I assume that smelly old bastard still has a pager on his belt..) 

I still have my pager. It hasn't worked since 2006, but it looks cool on the belt of my Joe Bloggs jeans. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Sometimes. I'd rather sell to a normal punter than a dealer who will only go on to sell your item he blagged off you for sod all on his own site but for double or treble the price he paid you. Market economics I suppose.

That said, I've had some really nice feedback too. I just know that I'll be doing this ebay lark for only as long as it suits me and once I've sold all my Joe bloggs jeans 😉

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Ebay. Trying to sell something for first time in years and nobody bids, they just keep making offers.  

Is there a way for me to turn that off?

Yes, when you are putting together your post for listing, there are options for Buy it Now, Auction, or Best Offer. You must have accidently selected Best Offer. 

I think you have to pay more for that service as well!

• Thanks 1

Using Chrome on Android. When I open it I'm presented with a bunch of links and a button to 'continue browsing' from where I left off. 

Of course I want to continue browsing you words removed. That's why I opened the **** app. Why make me do an extra step for no upside. **** arseholes. 

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Using Chrome on Android. When I open it I'm presented with a bunch of links and a button to 'continue browsing' from where I left off. 

Of course I want to continue browsing you words removed. That's why I opened the **** app. Why make me do an extra step for no upside. **** arseholes. 

Mobile FIrefox's insisence on opening a new homepage tab every time I open the App is similar, if I want a new tab I'll just press the plus, now you're making me close tabs all the time grrrr

We always watch TV with subtitles (my wife is Italian, so it helps with programmes with regional accents, etc), and now I can’t watch programmes without them. My gripe is when they add the subtitle to say (for example) [speaks French] which then covers up the translation of what’s being said. Does my head in. 

8 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Sometimes. I'd rather sell to a normal punter than a dealer who will only go on to sell your item he blagged off you for sod all on his own site but for double or treble the price he paid you. Market economics I suppose.

That said, I've had some really nice feedback too. I just know that I'll be doing this ebay lark for only as long as it suits me and once I've sold all my Joe bloggs jeans 😉

Who cares about Joe Bloggs jeans when you have jogging bottoms to relax in. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

Who cares about Joe Bloggs jeans when you have jogging bottoms to relax in. 

Actually, I'm selling a pair of "previously loved" grey joggers with only a minor yellowish tinge at the front. 

Interested ? 😉

• Haha 2

It boggles my mind that one person on here, let alone several, don't have or haven't had a credit card.  I've got 3, though mostly use one, and we use it for pretty much everything.   The travel rewards we've gotten for free since we got it that I can think of off the top of my head:

Business Class tickets for 2 across the US

First Class tickets for 4 on regional flight

3-day stay in a 4-star hotel in NY 

2 nights at a Ritz-Carlton hotel

All just for using the credit card over a period of several years.   Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of that?   Interest rate is immaterial as long as you pay it off each month.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rich192 said:

We always watch TV with subtitles (my wife is Italian, so it helps with programmes with regional accents, etc), and now I can’t watch programmes without them. My gripe is when they add the subtitle to say (for example) [speaks French] which then covers up the translation of what’s being said. Does my head in. 

Cosmic synchronicity. I just came here to complain about subtitles, and this was literally the first post I saw. 

Netflix seems to be a prime (no pun intended) offender.

Example 1: foreign language film, requires English subtitles switched on, but you can't have the simple translations without also getting full closed captions for every last sound effect ('door creaks', 'music playing', 'loud gunshot', etc.) 

Example 2 (just experienced in the otherwise excellent Cumberbatch vehicle 'The Courier'): film is mostly in English, with occasional scenes in Russian The only option is titles ON or OFF. If ON, you get everything subtitled - Russian, English and SFX. If OFF, you get... nothing. Surely the obvious requirement is to subtitle the Russian only? 

Edited by mjmooney

21 hours ago, il_serpente said:

All just for using the credit card over a period of several years.   Why wouldn't you want to take advantage of that?   Interest rate is immaterial as long as you pay it off each month.

I think for some people, they may not trust themselves with one. 

I’ve never had one. Don’t need one. I’ve always had an inherent maybe irrational distrust of them. If I want something I’ll usually save up for it. If I really really wanted it then I’ll still want it once I can afford it. 

I've had a few in my early 20s when I had cash flow problems and got myself in to trouble with them, got it with the idea that I'd use it for expenses and then pay it off when I got them paid and of course I didn't, first one I had I also made the mistake of withdrawing cash out with one of them, that's a road to ruin

My brothers had more and took him years to recover

Its not your money and they actively encourage you to live beyond your means, I've had one that had a £1500 spending limit and within 6 months they'd upped it to £8k, I was about 24 and out on the piss most weekends, as soon as the letter came through I cut the card up, I don't need that in my life, I also don't need the extra admin, I've got 1 card*, 1 bank account, I know my incomings and outgoings and how much I can spend at any one point, when it's gone its gone

I get the reward side of it though, my old place had a couple of accounts that they had credit cards for, construction company and Travis Perkins was one, we put maybe £1m a year through it, the MD got a 2 week trip to Barbados out of it every year

* English that is, Germany is **** weird, I've got 1 account but 2 cards, they draw the money from the same place, no "debit" card instead there is an EC (electronic cash) card which is instant and then a "credit" card which isn't actually credit, its my money not the banks but that takes about 4 days to go through, they both draw funds from the same place but in different ways and not everywhere accepts each card, I can't use the EC card online for example and I can't go overdrawn or in to debt on either, its stupid

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â