Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

29 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Funny you should say that. My daughter's a big Attenborough fan, watches all those wildlife/science docs. So I lent her my DVD of the original (1979) 'Life on Earth'. She thinks it's the best of its type she's ever seen. 

I still think Cosmos is awesome in the literal sense and The Ascent of Man still stands out as classic Reithian telly.

Horizon used to be excellent but they managed to kill that off.

Some of the best TV made were programmes made for the OU, if you don't mind your presenters wearing a kipper tie and a tank-top.

As regards history, I much prefer A J P Taylor talking to camera, than yet another dreaded dramatisation.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think “cushion storage” is a cover story for something far more sinister going on in there. What though?

tenor.gif

It's 3ft x 3ft. Whatever it was would need to be done standing up 

People who write open letters.

People who use formal salutations and titles to people on twitter like messaging an MP and calling them Sir or Ma’am.

People who write open letters and use formal salutations.

You know the type. Bonus rocket polisher credit if it’s football related and you’re writing to a chairman. 

I have two today:

1. Award ceremonies (Academy Awards, Grammys, Brit Awards, etc) - as if they actually mean anything when, most of the time, the winners are simply whichever studio stumped up the most money for the award.

2. People judging how good a movie is by its box office takings (additionally, not taking inflation into account when ranking them by takings)

3 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

2. People judging how good a movie is by its box office takings (additionally, not taking inflation into account when ranking them by takings)

Anyone who does this knows nothing about movies to be totally honest

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

I have two today:

1. Award ceremonies (Academy Awards, Grammys, Brit Awards, etc) - as if they actually mean anything when, most of the time, the winners are simply whichever studio stumped up the most money for the award.

i agree to an extent

but at the same time they are a good advert for new stuff, everything is so diluted now that even though we have TV, film and several music threads there's still a lot that i dont see mentioned anywhere, for example last night at the emmys i saw that euphoria picked up some awards, its in its second season and ive never heard of it but i'll add it to my list

mercury prize is the same, i'll download all the albums from that and give them a play through

not necessarily interested or swayed by who wins but the nominees list broadens my horizon

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone who does this knows nothing about movies to be totally honest

I am not sure there has been a reliable source when it comes to judging the quality of a film since Leslie Halliwell died.

Rotten Tomatoes has become as dodgy as hell and even Kermode has recommended some clunkers.

5 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I am not sure there has been a reliable source when it comes to judging the quality of a film since Leslie Halliwell died.

Rotten Tomatoes has become as dodgy as hell and even Kermode has recommended some clunkers.

Well film's are always going to be subjective, so there will never be a completely reliable source.

But in general, a consensus of critics' reviews would be far more reliable than box office performance

On the topic of football and gambling one thing that really pissed me off just now, I was looking for the fixtures to start a midwek footnall thread and when I went onto SkySports website they have the match odds next to the fixtures.

97997646-FAB0-42-DC-8720-F60-D493-EC6-A5

What a scummy thing to do. This forcing of gambling onto football/sport needs to be broken.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well film's are always going to be subjective, so there will never be a completely reliable source.

But in general, a consensus of critics' reviews would be far more reliable than box office performance

Quite right - it is understood that figures are deliberately inflated because punters think it means something.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah what IS that?

I'd assume it's something to do with farming, looking into it it seems theres been similar things reported at similar times around the country that were suspected to relate to farms.

Either way, it smells **** rank out there today. I thought I'd trod in shit when I nipped to the outdoor earlier, but then noticed it was actually a sick-y smell as well, and it went whenever I went indoors. It's **** horrible.

• Like 1

Change TV to wine and we could have a similar debate 

oh look this wine has a better label than that one  ,costs more  and was made from a grape that's an upgrade on that grape 

meh , whatever , all wines do the same thing and you can hardly notice 

same , also applies to women as well   :P 

Edited by tonyh29

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â