Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Update: I've just bought a new telly. Now 43", rather than 32". And I'm sitting here right now, switching back and forth between BBC1 and BBC1 HD. 

Honestly, I can't see any difference. 

Is it a 4K TV? 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Update: I've just bought a new telly. Now 43", rather than 32". And I'm sitting here right now, switching back and forth between BBC1 and BBC1 HD. 

Put your glasses on 😜

If you really can’t tell the difference, strictly only watch HD films and channels for a week. You’ll get used to HD.

Then after a full week watch Ch5 standard definition - It will look really blocky to the point that you won’t be able to watch it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Actually the other point is that the larger the TV the more noticeable it is.  

43” is a pretty small TV if it’s your main lounge TV. I think the standard sizes for most people nowadays are 55” (small), 65” (medium) and 75” (large).  Of course some go larger but they are still rare.

Also depends on the quality of the TV as well, some will enhance HD much better than others.

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Probably should have saved the money spent on a new TV and put it  towards a pair of glasses instead :) 

edit - seems I was a bit late to the glasses gag !

Edited by tonyh29

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

If you can't see the difference then I genuinely think you either need glasses, or the glasses you have are the wrong prescription.

The difference is very obvious

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, ender4 said:

43” is a pretty small TV if it’s your main lounge TV. I think the standard sizes for most people nowadays are 55” (small), 65” (medium) and 75” (large).  

TBH, that horrifies me. Can't stand the sight of a living room dominated by a huge screen. 

Anyway, I've just watched the weather forecast, and noticed that if Iook very carefully, I can see slightly more detail on the face of the weatherman on HD. Wowee. Quite frankly, who cares? It hardly makes the effort of pressing 101 rather than 1 worth it. It's not quite The Emperor's New Clothes, but it's not far off. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Actually the other point is that the larger the TV the more noticeable it is.  

43” is a pretty small TV if it’s your main lounge TV. I think the standard sizes for most people nowadays are 55” (small), 65” (medium) and 75” (large).  Of course some go larger but they are still rare.

Also depends on the quality of the TV as well, some will enhance HD much better than others.

As the owner of a 32" it's not the size that matters, it's what you do with it. 

Or something like that. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

TBH, that horrifies me. Can't stand the sight of a living room dominated by a huge screen. 

Anyway, I've just watched the weather forecast, and noticed that if Iook very carefully, I can see slightly more detail on the face of the weatherman on HD. Wowee. Quite frankly, who cares? It hardly makes the effort of pressing 101 rather than 1 worth it. It's not quite The Emperor's New Clothes, but it's not far off. 

I guess you'll now be able to make definitive calls on VAR decisions, so you better make your number available for match days.

The Beeb is part way through making HD the default on BBC1 and it covers some programmes, so if you genuinely can't see a difference, there's a chance that it's just something that's HD on both channels.

Otherwise, the glasses comment isn't a joke, it's serious, it's a night and day difference from standard def

• Like 1

On the train earlier the member of staff was walking through the carriage checking tickets when one of the passengers gave him a right verbal volley for having the nerve to ask, saying it was harassment that he got asked all the time and all that shite.  Absolute rocket polishers everywhere.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

It's not quite The Emperor's New Clothes, but it's not far off. 

It’s only the emperor’s new clothes if the emperor was, in fact, wearing an amazing set of new clothes that everyone was enjoying but you’d left your glasses at home so thought he was in the nude

so you didn't get a 4k smart TV mooney? it is a noticeable difference again and brilliant but I would say its crazy how quick you adjust to it and then don't appreciate it IMO the "smart" element of it with all the apps and stuff is what makes it worth it though, i haven't had a TV tuned in to a signal or sky for about 5 years now, got 4k on netflix and disney

the problem there is then the quality of the internet connection...and mine is usually shite thanks to the layout of my flat, my router is about 20m away from my TV and PS5, i have a booster and to be fair they've tried to be clever and chased out an ethernet port in the wall but I cant be bothered with that

add to that a large percentage of what I watch is acquired, especially sports, it means that the quality of the picture  falls off a cliff

so long story short...as i watch something I'm never actually sure what definition its in...or bothered by it

I've got too pissed off over the years with my TV suddenly being too old for the manufacturers to support, or them losing licenses for apps, etc. Got to love waking up one day to your TV doing less than it did the day before. I use a Chromecast on both of my TVs now no matter how good the inbuilt capabilities of the TV might be on a given day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

I've got too pissed off over the years with my TV suddenly being too old for the manufacturers to support, or them losing licenses for apps, etc. Got to love waking up one day to your TV doing less than it did the day before. I use a Chromecast on both of my TVs now no matter how good the inbuilt capabilities of the TV might be on a given day.

Same and I much prefer choosing content from my iPad than navigating a screen with a remote

14 hours ago, mjmooney said:

The difference is most noticeable (and beneficial) when watching football, when the camera is zoomed out. Can clearly see everything that’s happening. It’s a big difference IMO.

The obsession with TVs by my fellow proles has long been a mystery to me and it always pissed me off, that people I worked with would work their nuts off doing long hours of overtime, and then spend the money on a slightly better TV, to watch the same old shit.

Television development always seems like a classic example of built-in obsolescence, with very minor "must-have" incremental improvements.

The thing I've noticed is that most programmes these days, start out with the premise that their first priority is to make the viewers' TVs look good, so they minimise the information and concentrate on making it look flash.

So you tune in to find out if dinosaurs really had feathers and just get Jurassic Park lite.

Needless to say, my TV is a CRT.

Edited by MakemineVanilla

Having just inspected the "shed" I'm actually happy with the roof.  Going to reinforce it all then put the felt on this afternoon/evening.  I'm then going to buy a power planer which is something I've wanted for a while anyway and shave a few mm off the door to make it fit then jobs a goodun.

Put a few cushions in earlier and it's pretty much perfect.  Will probably put a shelf in for some extra bits and bobs too.

Happier now.👍

Edited by sidcow

10 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

The thing I've noticed is that most programmes these days, start out with the premise that their first priority is to make the viewers' TVs look good, so they minimise the information and concentrate on making it look flash.

So you tune in to find out if dinosaurs really had feathers and just get Jurassic Park lite.

Funny you should say that. My daughter's a big Attenborough fan, watches all those wildlife/science docs. So I lent her my DVD of the original (1979) 'Life on Earth'. She thinks it's the best of its type she's ever seen. 

Edited by mjmooney

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â