Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

There's an official book for Scrabble :D

And guess what...

Overperform.png

Any ideas why? It's a real word, it's not hyphenated, your grievance aside, why isn't it a valid Scrabble word?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

You can't sleep more than you sleep. Or extend more than you extend. Or act more than you act, os spend more than you spend, or burden more than you burden etc etc

Actually, in at least some of these examples, you're right. So I withdraw my blanket endorsement of them. But I stand by "overachieve". And just because a word is in the Scrabble dictionary - or the OED, for that matter - that only means that it is in regular usage. It doesn't make it good English. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Actually, in at least some of these examples, you're right. So I withdraw my blanket endorsement of them. But I stand by "overachieve". And just because a word is in the Scrabble dictionary - or the OED, for that matter - that only means that it is in regular usage. It doesn't make it good English. 

I don’t see the difference between any of them and “achieve”. The logic is exactly the same

3 hours ago, bickster said:

To "overperform" it must be in relation to something and the word for that is outperform

Fair enough, but I still don’t agree on the logic you use, which you extended to words like over spent. 

I don’t see why you’d be happy with “outperform” and not “overspent”

Someone has performed. They can’t outperform

As an official self appointed mediator, I would like to point out that you are all bringing logic to a language discussion. This never ends well, if it all. Actually, yeah, there will be no resolution if you insist on using logic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Efficiency and ease of understanding at the expense of stodgy technical correctness within the English language

Sorry but ease of understanding has nothing to do with it. It is impossible to outperform something that isn't stated, thats a lack of understanding, its not technical its an unfinished statement

Aston Villa outperformed, makes absolutely no sense, What did they outperform? You need the qualifying benchmark for it to make any sense Aston VIlla outperformed their previous three seasons.

If the word was overperform, it would be exactly the same

I honestly thought I'd heard the last of this rooney/vardy bullshit....not even newsworthy.....am more pissed off that news channels thought it was 😡

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

The only thing I really can't get over is that @bickster actually gets pissed off about this.

Christ, life is too short. Very appropriate for this thread. 

My internal monolgue shouts WHAT???? everytime

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Aston Villa outperformed, makes absolutely no sense, What did they outperform?

Expectations, for example. That's pretty much the definition - it's a comparative term - "She outperformed her rivals in the contest" (as you said - I'm agreeing to be clear)).

I'm with you on "overachieve" not being a proper word n'all, as well, though I've more sympathy with "he's an overachiever" - someone who consistently does better than people think they will, for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

And that is prescisely why, you outperform in comparison to a benchmark not just outperform

So exactly the same reason you’d use overspend. But you weren’t happy with that 🤔

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â